LegacyGT.com

RX-8 vs LGT?

Really? Everything else aside, I'm concerned about the reports of having to constantly add oil to those cars on top of horrid fuel economy. If I were confident on its reliability, it would be a great compromise between a G35 sedan and coupe. I just don't see it as an apples to apples comparison even though it will be cross-shopped. The outside styling of the RX8 has grown on me, and I've always loved the interior. I would still stick with a Legacy, and make mine a wagon.

[quote name='PPower']Really? Everything else aside, I'm concerned about the reports of having to constantly add oil to those cars on top of horrid fuel economy. If I were confident on its reliability, it would be a great compromise between a G35 sedan and coupe. I just don't see it as an apples to apples comparison even though it will be cross-shopped. The outside styling of the RX8 has grown on me, and I've always loved the interior. I would still stick with a Legacy, and make mine a wagon.[/quote] Don't be concerned about the oil or the gasoline. The oiling system is a partial loss system, and is expected to decrease. The side seals keep most of the oil in the center section around the ecccentric shaft, but the apex seals also get lubed (through the rotors, i think, but maybe through orifices in the chamber walls) and that oil film gets burned off, because it is in the combustion chambers. Rotaries run rich, they have to, in order to avoid detonation. Rotaries are really different animals than piston engines. They are highly volumetrically efficient, rev to the sky, and are smooth as butter. They do drink gasoline a little heavily for their power level, and they do require periodic oil top-ups (just remember to fill the oil when you fill the gas tank...) but those are considered to be worth it for the unique rush of a rotary sports car. As for the RX8, it is a nice car, and other than the rear seat and trunk space, and the fuel mileage (my next car has to be a highway machine, not a dedicated sportscar) are putting it just below the Legacy GT in my roster for my next car. All in all, with the rotary's unique characteristics, it is really well suited for a weekend sportscar that gets attention doted on it regularly. A beloved toy, IMHO. If I ever have another car like that (wife's miata fills that role currently) It would probably be a 3rd gen RX7, with a turbo'd renesis transplanted into it. Beautiful, fast, and one of the purely best handling cars built to date, bar none. Either that, or an early Porsche 911. I love classic cars, too. as for a practical car for commuting, taking freinds, family, or stuff, and for highway duty, I think a 4-door sedan (or wagon for you wagon-lovers) like the Legacy GT makes better sense, and is less finicky about maintenance, not that it should be ignored.

A good friend of mine has an RX-8 and I've driven it a few times, and it's a very nice car. I didn't really consider it because I didn't want 2 low torque 9000 rpm cars. I wanted something with some more low end grunt.

I agree with the above post, and I like the "Mr. Sparkle" picture. :) Driving a small displacement and hiv-revving car like the RX-8 at altitude means constantly winding it up to go anywhere. Part of the gig reason for selling the WRX 2.0 for the 2.5 in the GT. Even with all the WRX's power, I enjoy the greater low end response from the GT's extra half liter.

[quote name='wunderkind']Hello, For about the same price, one can get an RX-8? Anyone considered that? BTW, my wife just surprised me that I can replace my RS with a G35 Coupe! I thought she was all about practicality! :o[/quote] The RX-8 is a really nice car, but there are somethings you should keep in mind - it guzzles cars like a fiend - like something between 15-18 mpg at best, plus is also eats oil every 1000 miles, where you'll have add a quart. I believe there are a few other items that need to worked out. Also, RX-8's lack torque - I've hear to the point where you can't even chirp the tires. Most of the torque is between 5000-9000 rpm. Also, if you wife needs an automatic, you lose something between 30-40 hp and the redline is like 1500 less than the manual version. RX-8's have amazing handling. Supposedly the best handling car in that price range. The looks are beautiful, and the interiors are amazing. They have lots of options and high level features. If you want to find out more about the RX-8, go to [url]http://www.rx8club.com/[/url] I hope that helps. - Mike

Both the RX-8 and LGT were at the top of my car shopping list, so I test drove both. The RX-8 is a responsive and sharp handling car while still retaining a compliant ride. That I expected. What surprised me was how tractable the power was. While it's not a big block the off the line torque was much better than I expected. What really disappointed me was the lack of top-end charge. When you have a 9000 rpm redline you expect that near the top of the rpm range you would feel a surge in power. Sadly this was not the case. Overall, while fantastically balanced from a handling standpoint it just felt too slow in a straight line. The LGT Limited I drove was fast and torquey. Much softer body motions and handling, but still well buttoned down and controlled. It "felt" distinctly faster than the RX-8. While it doesn't have the sporty image and "zoot" a sports car like the RX-8, I'll gladly take the more useful backseat, superior interior materials and feature content, along with more stock power and the potential for far more. Anyways, I'm sure you guys can see which way I went (RBP 5MT Limited sedan on order) :D

Welcome boostjunkie (from Cobb or NASIOC forums? You look familiar.) I think you stated it pretty well. While I didn't really even look at RX8 due to it's impracticality for me, it still is a nice car, just too much of a weekender/summer vehicle. The Leggy should be able to hold decently against RX8's at the track if one is willing to put in bits like the Spec B suspension and other components that offer improved handling ability, much of which is available already abroad. Plus there's that little power issue and that more stealthy presence, 'It's a Legacy, it ain't fast.' :mrgreen:

Naw... pretty new to the Suby world. I actually usually go by Pisadong on a couple of other forums, and I registered that name here, but never got the confirmation e-mail, so I just came up with another name. Fits fine though, because I do own a couple of "abnormally aspirated" 8) cars. The LGT will make 3, although I'm pretty sure the wife will make me get rid of one.

The RX8 is a very, very good car! go to google and search for topgear's RX8 video review... or find it from the RX8 forum..and u will know what kind of car the RX8 is. however, if u are going for an auto, GT is ur choice. the RX8 is built for rev.rev. and revs! therefore, it doesnt have much troque, especially for a 1.3 liter NA engine. however, the RX8 has more options than the GT...such as MP3 CD player, and Nav.

[quote name='wunderkind']No no... auto. Yeah I know about the bad mileage issue. Also the LGT has high tuning potential. I'm not even sure if it's as fast as the GT.[/quote] Here's some test data. TEST DATA 2004 Mazda RX-8 Acceleration, mph 0-30 2.1 0-40 3.2 0-50 4.5 0-60 6.0 0-70 7.9 0-80 10.2 0-90 13.1 0-100 16.9 1/4 mile, sec @ mph 14.49 @ 95.47 Braking, 100-0 mph, ft 318 Braking, 60-0 mph, ft 115 600-ft slalom, mph 68.1 200-ft skidpad, lateral g 0.87 Figure-8, sec @ avg g 26.1 @ 0.70 Top-gear rpm @ 60 mph 3000 CONSUMER INFO On sale in U.S. Currently Currently Currently Base price $26,680

Great comparison test by the by. I personally, had a deposit down on the RX-8 and followed it through the build and everything only to abandon it at the 11th hour. There were a couple of things that I wasnt crazy about. 1. Insurance- I am a 24 year old male in NJ, nuff said. 2. I was used to sedans- my first and only car had been a sedan, a very GOOD sedan (1988 Acura Legend) and so I was used to the space and the open feelings. And people can say they are blue in the fact about a 4 seater coupe, but at 6'4, aint nobody getting behind my seat. 3. Mazda's false claims- first it was the horsepower, and now I still think they have no properly addressed the gas mileage issues this car makes (avg. 15 mpg). With that said I waited for the perfect car to come along- fast, roomy, cheap, safe, and something I can drive year round without worry. Although, with all that said, I think the RX-8 is one of the most unique sports cars this market has seen in a long while, and would pick one in a heartbeat over a Z. Plus the interior is gorgeous. Hope this helps.

Great, finaly something I can bite into.

I have owned a RX8 and and I want it to go on the record the only two engine types I will buy are rotaires and boxers. PERIOD.

I am also going to try to keep this simple I have written tons of threads on how rotaries work and the RX8..

In regards the Renesis. The Renesis is the piniacal of rotary design since the LaMan' four rotar. The newly redisigned 13B block with the additional side ports (2 more in the manual version) do actualy increase fuel economy over its previous incarnations. It aslo cuts down on spent carbons building up in the rotar houseing. In regards to the RX8's fuel economy it is not the best and is the key reason why I got rid of mine. But mainly becuase MAZDA wouldn't lean the A/F mixture any more then the latest "M" flash. Wich my RX8 did have. It even came from the factory with a "L" flash that leaned it out from the original settings.

So you wonder why the RX8 still burns so much fuel. Well, in the Reniesis is also the first California Level 2 Emissions complient Rotary ever. This is also the cause for the origianal HP loss wich my car was part of. Becuase MAZDA is trying to protect that that status with the RX8 and does not care if the car burns more fuel or losses HP to keep that status. The RX8's ECU does have plenty of room to lean out the feul with in safe levels and tuners such as "RE Amemiya"and "Canzoomer" have done this with there biggy back ECU's or creative tuning.

As for oil consuption. Its not that bad. the Renesis has a oil metering pump that sits right on the rotar house and injects oil directly on the seals. It is realy accurate and the oil light will come on EXACTLY when 1 quart has been burned. Its actuly not as annoying as people may think.

When I compare both cars, I will deffinaly get another RX8. The 50/50 weight distribution makes the car so much fun to drive on curves. It feels like a second skin. The 6-MT is the best gear box I have ever felt and the rotary sound is worth the bad gass milage to hear it spin at 9-K..it will actuly spin to 9500 before the fuel cut off.

The Legacy does not have the ballance and poise as the RX8 but the RX8 aslo lacks any low end grunt do to its lack of tourque. Wich is something I don't miss. The RX8 cannot compare to the Legacy in the power department but the same goes for the Legacy VS RX8 in handeling.

Because of these trade offs I feel it is a dead heat.

I love both cars. But, neither is perfect.

356135473_R8Legacy(Small).JPG.3a6caf0b198dc66aa2354a1299367707.JPG

389869151_DSC00558(Medium).JPG.1ef3512683662cfc259b8b616b22c8a3.JPG

Well, with what turbojunkie, tallguy and B4 said... I don't have much to add. :) Different cars, different missions. Each is great in its own way. B4 summed it up... I love both cars, but neither is perfect... for different reasons.

Archived