LegacyGT.com

Outside pad wear on both rear brakes

altiplano

I just started getting a metal grinding/rubbing sound while driving, checked my brakes and both outside pads on my rears were completely gone, one side was down to the shoe... inside pads had hardly any wear at all, fronts are okay too.

The dealership did new brakes all around and "serviced calipers" at 108k km (~65k miles). That's the only brake job I've had to do since new and was only 50k km (~30k miles) ago... I drive mostly highway and am pretty easy on my brakes.

My rear calipers appear quite different from my front in terms of metal colour/wear/corrosion - they appear newer. TOKICO stamped. Are these stock calipers?

I find it strange both sides would have the same rubbing problem... I later came to not trust this dealer for other reasons, maybe my suspicions are a bit prejudiced, but did the dealer swap out my calipers for the wrong ones? Screw up and not replace the outside pads? Or just a coincidence that both sides started rubbing/wearing at about the same time?

Typically the fronts should have worn faster and they still have lots... inside pads always go quicker too and these weren't even close to the squealer...

If not the wrong calipers, what do you think the problem is? I cleaned and lubed the guide pins and replaced the pads only I'm going to watch wear and see if the outside continues to wear faster.

2008 Legacy 2.5i wagon - not a GT...

Yep, either the sliding sections were seized or they didn't bother changing the pads. I'd stay very far away from that dealer. Better off getting some tools and learning to work on your car yourself if you can, or find a good mechanic.

Thanks,

I've typically do work on my own car for small stuff like brakes and fluids... I was only doing the dealer thing every 24K or so to maintain warranty... I remember them selling me on doing brakes when it was in for one of these and I thought "why not... one thing not to worry about" - moment of weakness

Anyway, hopefully lubing the guide pins gets this problem solved... and the calipers working right. I ordered Centric rotors from Amazon which should hopefully arrive soon in case wonky rotors were part of the problem.

Did you actually use brake lube and not just any lube it does make a difference, and some of slide pins have little rubber sleeves on them that can swell causing the pins to not slide anymore, the sleeves are to reduce noise mostly and can be removed to allow for better end result but noiser brakes, good news is that if you do want to replace them they are sold separately from the glide pins.

Archived