LegacyGT.com

Interior Cleaner/Protectant?

I like the fact that our cars have a nice matte finish to the vinyl... I was wondering what products people were using to keep it Matte...

Some of the products I've used in the past.. mostly off the shelf items give the vinyl an overly shiny appearance... anything out there I can use to keep the Matte finish.. yet protect/clean?

Check this article out for some good 'off the shelf' product recomendations. Armor All got a bad rap back in the day for having 'bad' silicones in it that dried out the dash. They have improved a lot since then and are really not that bad at all. Meguiar's Interior Quick Detailer is another good product to check out. It's not much on the protection, but it is safe to get on glass and plastic and anything else it might spray on without ruining it like Armor All and other protectants can do. I don't know how many of you have had to try an wipe off dash protectant overspray off your windshield, but it is just a streaky mess. The meguiar's interior detailer is much better at cleaning up the dust without making a mess of everything. Still use regular protectant on a monthly basis, but for weekly details I would suggest that interior detailer. It works great on leather too.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

• 1 month later...
Check this article out for some good 'off the shelf' product recomendations. Armor All got a bad rap back in the day for having 'bad' silicones in it that dried out the dash. They have improved a lot since then and are really not that bad at all. Meguiar's Interior Quick Detailer is another good product to check out. It's not much on the protection, but it is safe to get on glass and plastic and anything else it might spray on without ruining it like Armor All and other protectants can do. I don't know how many of you have had to try an wipe off dash protectant overspray off your windshield, but it is just a streaky mess. The meguiar's interior detailer is much better at cleaning up the dust without making a mess of everything. Still use regular protectant on a monthly basis, but for weekly details I would suggest that interior detailer. It works great on leather too.

does it keep it matte also? I hate those shiny greasy looking dashboards.

It's not a glossy product at all. It just leaves the dash and everything else looking clean. It might be a little more shiney than if you didn't have anything on the dash at all, but it isn't a ghetto glossy shine or a distracting look at all. I'm not one for greasy looking dashes either and I like this product a lot.

OCDETAILS BLOG

I'm a big fan of the Meguiar's quick interior detailer (black bottle) and the Meguiar's natural shine interior detailer (red bottle). Both are matte finishes, though in my experience the natural shine is very slightly glossy, but no where near Armor all. It also has more UV protection, the quick detailer has a low level of UV protectant (per Meguiar's site).

• 5 weeks later...
What about the lint that seems to be attracted to the dash? I had a dude that detailed my car and he used something on the dash that seemed to practically REPEL the lint but it only seemed to last about a month or 2 before the lint started to rebuild again.

I have been using Armor All wipes lately and have gotten pretty good results. It is a little shiny though - maybe a semi-gloss. I wiped it on as a wipe, and then used a 100% made in USA cotton towel (don't have MFs yet, they are on the way from PAC) to wipe up the excess and even it out. I would like to try some other things, but I got these wipes at a real steal and have enough to last a long time.

It's not a glossy product at all. It just leaves the dash and everything else looking clean. It might be a little more shiney than if you didn't have anything on the dash at all, but it isn't a ghetto glossy shine or a distracting look at all. I'm not one for greasy looking dashes either and I like this product a lot.

how much do you apply/what do you apply it with? i have used it once so far, and seemed to get a "splotchy" or unevenly dried look to it. any tips?

I don't apply very much. I just spray it and start wiping around. It will be splotchy if you miss an area because it really doesn't spread very well. I really like the way this product sprays. It is a very fine mist and it really gets good coverage. The fact that it isn't going to turn into a greasy mess on glass and plastic is a big bonus.

OCDETAILS BLOG

so, you spray it directly onto the dash i take it?

With Meguiar's Quick Interior Detailer I do. For normal dash protectants it is better to spray it on your towel first and then apply it to the dash. The stuff is a major pain to get off of glass. Meguiar's Interior QD wipes right off glass without a problem. I've never had a problem controling the spray on that product anyway. Any product I've had to wipe off glass is from when I really didn't care if it got on it. If you want to avoid spraying it on the glass then it isn't hard to do so.

OCDETAILS BLOG

303 is a good product, but that is something you'll want to spray on a towel first and then apply. There isnt' a certian amount you need to apply. Just spray a towel and make the dash wet with it. If you don't like the shine then you can buff the dash with a dry towel and it will take away some of the gloss. It is good stuff. I've been using Four Star Vinyl & Rubber Protectant for awhile and that has been doing the trick for me. I can buy it in bulk and that is important to me. If you are just concerned with your own car then you can either use 303 or just get a 32 ounce bottle of the Four Star product. It's all good.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived