LegacyGT.com

FP 71HTA in my 2005 LGT

Blackhawk2k7

Hey LGT!

Quick question on turbo upgrades:

My buddy is about to upgrade his turbo in his 2007 STi, he wants to sell me his FP 71HTA he is taking off, to me for a great deal if it passes inspection, my question is what all do I need aside from a tune to run that thing?

Do I need to upgrade my banjo bolt/AVCS oil lines? Bigger injectors? 3-port EBCS? TMIC upgrade? Better BOV? ETC?

I have a handful of minor upgrades and v3 Cobb w/stage 1 tune already. LOOKING to make 325-375hp

Thanks-a-million!

You'll need a tmic that can accept the turbo. Stock uses a flange and so it won't work. You'd need a sti tmic with intake manifold or pick up an aftermarket intercooler like grimmspeed or similar that come with the appropriate silicone hoses. Upgrading the oil feed line is probably a good idea too. You'll need bigger injectors. 850 might do it on pump. 3 port ecbs is more then a good idea. Stock bov might be fine if its not leaking. A pro tune is absolute must, you can't run your freinds map. You are stage one so that means you need a downpipe too. Do you have a catless up pipe yet? Have you ridden in your friend's car with it installed to know you like the powerband?

Thanks guys!

As far as mods go I have:

GS crank pulley, invidia catless up-pipe, KNN typhoon intake, AP v3 w/stage 1 and e-tuned for the KNN, stage 2 clutch kit, group-n tranny mount w/mount bushings, 3" magnaflow cat-back.

On the list to get next:

Catless downpipe (bellmouth or divorced? What do you think?), 3-port EBCS, STi TMIC or otherwise, turbo inlet, turboxs BOV, Group-n engine mounts+pitch stop, TGV delete, AVCS aftermarket lines/banjos, thicker swaybars, progressive springs, and now 850cc injectors

His car is a raped-ape with that turbo, and I do like the power band, just wish I could find a spec-b tranny/front diff, feels like this rig needs a 6-speed.

You dont need a turbo inlet unless yours is toast. You do need a sti intake manifold if going with sti tmic. I forgot to add upgraded fuel pump, and you will also need to think about if you want e85 compatibilty down the road which means more headroom for fueling. Bellmouth vs divorced, doesnt matter.

My mechancic told me he always sees lightweighht crank pulleys on cars that come into his shop with spun bearings. Its probably not the root cause but my guess is it doesnt help.

My

I was looking at this TMIC:

http://www.importimageracing.com/fast-motorsports-top-mount-intercooler-for-2005-2009-subaru-legacy-gt.html

VS

CNT TMIC, with TB coupler.

Price difference is less than $10 in favor of the CNT, however the CNT has the stock flange setup, wheras the FM TMIC has to use an adapter. But the splitter of the FM is a little bit of a bear to wrestle.

How big of a fuel pump would you say? Walbro 255?

E85 is hit/miss in my area but my local shell does have it. I'd prefer to keep it from that addicting corn fuel for a little bit longer and baby feed it that 92oct we have. I beg your pardon but what otherwise is needed to run e85 with my hypothetical setup?

I've heard of them spinning bearings too, I was reading to stay away from the lighter weight pulleys, and did my homework extensively before deciding in the GS pulley, I was reading up that it's dangerous and throws codes if you have a lighter than 13.5# SMFW with a lightweight pulley. I'm at just under 14#'s and the GS pulley is made heavy enough to not cause issues in this range (from grimmspeed website q/a about the product)

Alas, time will tell..

The cel is not an indicator of whether or not the aftermarket part is causing extra wear. If you have the cash to handle a failure then it doesnt matter I guess.

I've been running the Hta71 for over a year now, and I absolutely love it! depending on your tuner and mod selection I can see 320+ on 93 pump.

My setup until recently consisted of a Stock ej257 SB( 29k miles on it since my car was rebuilt), Fastmotorsprots TMIC + the STI style turbo upgrade hose ( the one from importimageracing ), DW850cc side feeders, perrin 2.4" inlet, perrin afta MAF hose,FP upgraded fuel lines, grimmspeed 3 port EBCS, AEM320 FP, Up pipe,3" CNT catted DP, and CBE.

Car made 319/319 peak numbers @ 22PSI, holding 19PSI to redline.YMMV

320whp in one of these cars is pretty damn quick! if you are hell bent on trying to achieve the upper end of what you are looking for (350-375) on pump, it's not only going to be expensive, but you need to keep in mind that things can and will break. Especially on stock internals! You'll need money set aside for that on top of everything else.

I would highly recommend the ID1000's with a top feed conversion. I'm looking into doing that now....should have done it earlier.

I've heard of them spinning bearings too, I was reading to stay away from the lighter weight pulleys, and did my homework extensively before deciding in the GS pulley, I was reading up that it's dangerous and throws codes if you have a lighter than 13.5# SMFW with a lightweight pulley. I'm at just under 14#'s and the GS pulley is made heavy enough to not cause issues in this range (from grimmspeed website q/a about the product)

Alas, time will tell..

What GS tells you on their website and what's actually true are not quite the same. A light weight pulley and a lightweight flywheel are a recipe for engine rebuild. If its already in your plans, then ok. Otherwise, it's something to consider. The power diff is not enough to take the chance.

Lightweight wheels and tires will have a greater impact.

FYI the FMS TMIC is the newer stle that will allow you to potentially run STI style turbos in addition to LGT/WRX style turbos. That opens you up to more possibilities. But since it's bigger, it's also a bit more prone to heatsoak unless you install the correct splitter and add some heat reflecting tape to the endtank sitting over the turbo.

CNT is like the older perrin & avo tmic's and can only use the turbos with the flange already on it.

I absolutely default to you guys for advice, especially being a new Subaru owner. I put the OEM harmonic balancer back on a couple hours ago. Didn't know how much I missed it, much easier to drive in traffic now.

On that note Anyone looking for a 1.5 month old Grimmspeed crank pulley and removal tool? Hah

Thank you xtea, and boxkita.

wpmarky: if I got either TMIC I was going to put a blanket on my turbo, and maybe wrap several feet of wrap around my other exhaust components. Definitely more serious about that FMS TMIC now.

Thanks all

Both the HTA wheels, 68 and 71, are great on E85. On gas... not so much.

Turbos in this class want an ELH to shine.

Stay away from Chinese intercooler, nothing good comes of that. Look at a FMIC setup if you want to run an STi-style turbo. Have a look through this: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/turboi-wiki-twist-250285.html

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Archived