LegacyGT.com

2017 Legacy whats good and whats not

Five months into driving my Subaru Legacy 2017:

Some of the strong points of my new Legacy include the smooth ride which impresses everyone that has been in my new sedan. The technology in this vehicle is state of the art even though some of this technology is not ready for prime time. I find the blind spot detector extremely useful and appreciated. I wish the backup camera could be left on while the car is in drive instead of just being engaged while the car in in reverse. It does allow me to back up very closely to anything behind my vehicle safely. The adaptive curse control function has exceeded my expectations. The seats are very supportive and comfortable contrasted to the completion. The car flat out looks great. The visibility for the driver exceeds anything I have ever driven. There’s a lot to like with this car as it did win me over during my test drive at the dealer.

However, as I rack up more miles on my Legacy there are some issues that are becoming more apparent which detract from this car. The Legacy’s safety alarms are obnoxiously annoying. If I shut of the lane Departure warning off than an attention garbing indicator light shows up in the dash showing me that the Departure light in not activated which is almost as annoying as the beeping. I don’t want to be staring at that warning light I just want the Departure warning beeping to stop. There are lines all over roads that set this stupid beeping off which is driving me crazy. Subaru hits you over the head with warnings that chiefly serve to distract the driver. A CNBC report I watched noted this problem with new Subarus. The auto dimming rear view mirror which I had thoroughly checked out at different dealers to ensure it was not malfunctioning. It was operating as designed which offers very little dimming. I was strongly advised in writing from Subaru not to replace it with a manual flip rear view mirror as that would deactivate the front facing cameras which would cripple the safety technology built into my Legacy. The auto dimming rear view mirror is a useless a joke which should have been avoided by this buyer. If you want bright lights in your eyes than buy one these Auto dimming rear view mirrors. Also, why does the door open alarm beep after I stop the car and open the door to exit? I can’t figure out why it beeps sometimes, but not all times when I open the door after I have turned off the car? Yes, I know I have the door open as I am exiting the car. Stop beeping at me! It is Bizarre and annoying.

The non-adjustment of the volume of the radio while in reverse is infuriating. Subaru decides when you can adjust the volume not the driver. It makes no sense to me that Subaru makes it difficult to turn the radio volume down while backing up. It should be easy as lowering the volume as loud volume is distracting to the driver. It should be simple not complicated as Subaru builds into their vehicles. Subaru requires drivers to adjust the volume before that car is shifted into reverse. This is America and I should have the freedom to turn down the volume whenever I choose fast and easy. I don’t want to have to take specific steps to do so only when Subaru dictates that it is acceptable. This does not add safety to the vehicle but instead creates an unsafe element to the driver. I want to do what I want when I want. This deficiency is unacceptable and counterproductive regarding safety.

Also, every other vehicle I have owned before this sedan, both American and Japanese have had the doors automatically lock and unlock depending if the car was in drive or park. But not in my Legacy. You must manually lock and unlock the car door! Yes, it is easy to unlock & lock manually but why should I have to when every other vehicle I have ever owned did that for me? Some may respond to my criticisms with the answer just do it the way Subaru wants you too because they know better while I say personal choice is worth having and not having features available in every other vehicle dose not benefit the driver.

I won't go too deep into the unwanted distracting eco gauge which can't be turned off. I'll just say I don't like it…It is stupid.

I find it sad that aftermarket stereos are now difficult if not impossible to install. New cars factory stereos are built into the dash monitor and intricately intertwined the vehicles climate control, GPS etc. It would seem they must remain were they are, sigh. That is too bad as my Alpine stereo controls installed in my last vehicle are superior to my present stereo in my Legacy. I am not loving the cell phone like stereo controls on my Legacy Audio controls. I miss the non-attention-grabbing buttons. Even with the steering wheel controls there are so many screens I must move though to get anything on this new car stereo. I want to concentrate more on the road not the audio controls. I know these huge monitors have or becoming standard in all cars. I know I must adapt or go extinct.

If the GPS in my Legacy come out ten years ago it would be judged as a huge winner, not he clumsy obsolete software my legacy has. With today’s phones, one just needs to speak the address you want into GPS app and seconds later you are on the way your destination. Subaru is not a software company and it shows on the GPS in my Legacy. You must enter the State, Town, Address etc. etc. field by field just like in the old Garmin GPS units. Once you do all that it my Subaru’s GPS works quite well. It also remembers the addresses you enter as well as redirects for traffic jams. It lowers the music when directions are given which is also good. But I know I don’t want to take the time to enter the address information into all of Subaru’s GPS address fields because to do so is time intensive while using a cell phone GPS takes only seconds… Come on Subaru give your vehicle’s the ability to synchronize with are phones GPS systems which are very much more refined than your vehicle’s GPS software. It takes so long to enter a destination and so much effort Subaru has disabled using the GPS while the car is being driven! I just use my phone now as it is too time intensive to use my new car’s GPS for finding new destination addresses.

Look guys I call it like I see it. If you are car shopping consider what I am saying. If you are like me the feel of this car will grab you. Because despite my criticism this car has a lot of offer. Some of the technology is not ready yet and hurts the experience. I hope Subaru takes note and corrects these problems which would up its game and make Subaru even stronger.

Walloftext.jpg

-The auto dimming mirror is not made by Subaru, I believe it is made by gentex. Contact them.

-Reach for the volume knob on the radio if you want to turn the volume up or down while. I am sure you can do that while reversing.

-The lane departure only turns on for me if I am departing a lane or changing lanes without signaling. I always signal so it is a non issue for me.

-Everything else is just part of how a Subaru works. I hear that so many new Subaru owners have complained about the auto locking feature that it will be implemented in the next model year. I find it annoying to have auto locking doors. I will lock and unlock my doors when I feel like it, not when the car tells me to.

I have read your complains before. Maybe read the manual and adjust your driving accordingly?

I have nothing more.

---

The 2017 Legacy is a decent car, made in America, by Americans. Bravo! But how many are aware that if you do not buy oil filters, exclusively, from subaru, you have no warranty coverage for oil related problems? Email customer service and ask them which filter(s) will preserve your warranty. The one they force you to buy is made by Fram, not a great filter to begin with, but they will never tell you WHICH Fram filter to buy. If it isn't sold by a dealer, no warranty. This is the most un ethical company I have ever dealt with. Too bad, as the car is pretty good in many ways.

The 2017 Legacy is a decent car, made in America, by Americans. Bravo! But how many are aware that if you do not buy oil filters, exclusively, from subaru, you have no warranty coverage for oil related problems? Email customer service and ask them which filter(s) will preserve your warranty. The one they force you to buy is made by Fram, not a great filter to begin with, but they will never tell you WHICH Fram filter to buy. If it isn't sold by a dealer, no warranty. This is the most un ethical company I have ever dealt with. Too bad, as the car is pretty good in many ways.

Wrong again. Check the original post ("worst company ever?").

Spamming multiple threads with ignorance won't make you popular.

Go have a beer and just chill! If you looked in the Manual it would give you all the specifications. This LegacyGT Forum would have been a good place to ask that question instead of after the fact to :cry:😖😉.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul!😊

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

@laz Glad you had the energy to comment on @Cube4 post.

What came to mind "Five Months":RTFM:

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Oh. My. Goodness. You can change the volume in reverse. USE THE KNOB. Multiple people have stated this multiple times. Are you choosing to ignore them?

Yes my bad on that thank you. I was going on about how I would prefer if such limitations were not imposed on the buyer. I just got on a roll and couldn't stop typing. I should not have included that as it was previously addressed

But thank you again for pointing out how to lower the volume.

Go have a beer and just chill! If you looked in the Manual it would give you all the specifications. This LegacyGT Forum would have been a good place to ask that question instead of after the fact to :cry:😖😉.

Yes my post was somewhat excessive in length. There is a lot in that manual no doubt. I've read it, parts of it anyway...

@Cube4 - your post was exausting. If you are that miserable sell the car and move on.

I know you might no believe me but I like my Legacy a lot. It was the best car I test drove and I tested a lot of cars. I wish was on the design team for Subaru. I will abridge future posts. Could you imagine my post if I disliked my new car?

Archived