LegacyGT.com

2014 Cluster in a 2011

But his cluster isn't showing the same message that mine was? Do I need a cluster from a non eye sight Subaru?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I don't know much about these things....but logic would say yes.

if you are getting a used cluster, the mileage is going to be whatever the car that it came from was. Subaru is unwilling (in my experience) to reprogram the mileage. I sent mine out and I got it back with the mileage I wanted within 100 miles. On the 10-12 cars, good luck getting the data to be sent by CANbus as that came with the updated power train/BUI/etc.

When I did this I used a non eye sight 2.5i cluster, the issue I just had last week was that since the newer one has a fb25 instead of a ej25 the check engine light is one. The car failed emissions and now to pass I have to reprogram the original cluster. It cost me at the dealer $135 to do it the first time. With all the trouble I would just stay with the original.

When I did this I used a non eye sight 2.5i cluster, the issue I just had last week was that since the newer one has a fb25 instead of a ej25 the check engine light is one. The car failed emissions and now to pass I have to reprogram the original cluster. It cost me at the dealer $135 to do it the first time. With all the trouble I would just stay with the original.

Can't you just remove the bulb for the check engine light?

Can't you just remove the bulb for the check engine light?

You're kidding right?

In case you aren't:

1. There is no bulb its an LED.

2. That doesn't stop the ecu from sending the signal to turn the light on, so any obd scan will still return the MIL on status.

3. How would you ever know there was a malfunction if you remove the light.

4. Every key on starts the check sequence for the warning lights and anyone with an understanding of this would see the CEL is not longer working.

5. The other accompanying lights that get your attention will still come on (cruise flashing, tcs light).

Stopping the light can work, it displays any warning lights on the screen describing exactly what happens leaving a warning light on for the screen itself. The warning lights don't leave anything for a scanner to see, it's just a light with nothing you can do. The airbag light does the same. But all warning lights will show on the screen on the newer cluster

You're kidding right?

In case you aren't:

1. There is no bulb its an LED.

2. That doesn't stop the ecu from sending the signal to turn the light on, so any obd scan will still return the MIL on status.

3. How would you ever know there was a malfunction if you remove the light.

4. Every key on starts the check sequence for the warning lights and anyone with an understanding of this would see the CEL is not longer working.

5. The other accompanying lights that get your attention will still come on (cruise flashing, tcs light).

You can still remove the LED light I've done on other car's before with engine swaps with clusters and as far as knowing if a issue pops up I have a Android radio that has torque on it and can use that to monitor any engine codes

• 4 months later...
You can still remove the LED light I've done on other car's before with engine swaps with clusters and as far as knowing if a issue pops up I have a Android radio that has torque on it and can use that to monitor any engine codes

Depending on where you are the MIL light working properly may be part of your state inspection. I know it is in NY but it all depends on who you know.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I have successfully done the cluster swap to color version.

My car is 2010 Legacy Diesel Manual transmission. I have purchased color (MY13) cluster from CVT (Automatic transmission), reprogrammed it to Manual transmission and modified cluster airbag curcuit to work properly with car airbag system.

If there are any Diesel legacy/outback owners from Europe, I could help them with cluster swap.

I could also help with petrol clusters, but it can't be done remotely.

73daef5s-1920.thumb.jpg.bd2a115acb5355ac91ab47c61215e85a.jpg

Edited by Brunzo

• 1 year later...
I'm curious about that one, too - in the 2010, the airbag light is illuminated by the airbag control module directly (it's the opposite of other lights, where the airbag light illuminates when the control module applies battery voltage to pin 12 on the connector to the combination meter) while in the 2013 it's done over the canbus from the control module... I wonder if you were to use an airbag control module from a 2013 if it would work? the connector is the same, and other system components are probably the same... don't know if I would want to do that, though, as the "what's the worst that could happen" is pretty bad...

Yes, exactly what I tried to explain in Private messages to him.

I did not design the board change myself - electronics engineer did it for me, when i explained the logics how it works. Here is my modified board:

f9deef5s-960.jpg

You can easily find changes next to the airbag light and on right side of tachometer pointer motor. If anyone is familiar with engineering and soldering, perhaps you could share the modification needed? I have no details of this as I paid money for labor and no details were shared.

I highly recommend using pointer removal tool instead of pulling the pointers out with hands, as it may easily damage motors. To do so, you need to take the black caps off the pointers and apply the tool.

Pointer removal tool looks like this, i purchased mine on aliexpress, it is bad quality (needle went out from first usage) but it's enough for one time work.

cf6eef5s-960.jpg

I also recommend to mark the location of pointers before removal:

9beeef5s-960.jpg

Edited by Brunzo

• 5 months later...
Hello,

My car is 2010 Legacy Diesel Manual transmission. I have purchased color (MY13) cluster from CVT (Automatic transmission), reprogrammed it to Manual transmission and modified cluster airbag curcuit to work properly with car airbag system.

If there are any Diesel legacy/outback owners from Europe, I could help them with cluster swap.

Brunzo,

How did you reprogram the cluster for a manual? I have a 2011 Outback petrol with a manual trans and I really want to get this cluster working in my car, I purchased a 2013 cluster from a 2.5 CVT without eyesight. I also see the modifications done for the airbag light, I have experience with soldering but I am unsure of the components used in your picture.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Cant tell much about solvibg airbag light as i gave it to the engineer who made the airbag circuit modification and did not share the details with me.

Regarding dump i replied to your pm.

• 5 months later...

sorry man for my english i wrote from Turkey, Istanbul i think your problem very easy :D

check my problem too : https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/subaru-legacy-2011-change-speedometer-2014-year-legacy-help-283987.html

note : you can solve my problem :) ( just read your speedometer eeprom data and send me ) can is possible... bro

your problem solving underlines...

check this post

https://www.drive2.ru/l/469326264512020895/

your airbag lamb problem here if you solve airbag lamb i think engine lamb to fixed.

• 10 months later...
Hello,

Hi Mate, by any chance would you mind sharing the dump file for your new cluster? I had a bad read and now my new colour cluster is blank. Yours looks identical to what I have. Would be a huge help if you're able.

I actually understand the airbag circuit modification, I'd be happy to post schematics for others assuming I can get this one working.

My post is here with more information about the vehicle

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/subaru-outback-2010-2014-cluster-upgrade-help-286641.html

Edited by theunknown

I can email you the dump from an Australian version of that cluster, appearance is the same.

That would be a HUGE help. I *think* your vehicle is a petrol? mine is a diesel & as such the tacho is scaled differently. That said it'll be a huge improvement over what I've got so would be very grateful if you're able to email it through.

EDIT: I've now got a Petrol / Auto dump thanks to Moral Hazard which is a great start. Still looking for a diesel / manual dump to get the cluster working 100% again.

Edited by theunknown