LegacyGT.com

150,000 Mile maintenance advice?

Original Turbo

Original Clutch

No performance parts

Stage 1 since 60,000

I'm going to pull the motor and do the clutch, secondary air valve deletes, spark plugs, intake gaskets, clean/remove the banjo bolt filters, and check everything out.

What else should I be prepared for or replace while I'm there anyways?

Ground wires

Heater hoses

Radiator hoses

wire brush the matting surfaces of the block and tranny, ground path.

Grease starter

only use NGK spark plugs

tighten gas line clamps on lines under intake manifold.

Take pictures.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Good ideas, thanks.

Timing belt / pulleys / water pump / acc belts at 100k & really easy to do later with engine in car.

I also need rear wheel bearings, endlinks are rotted out - need to check all the rubber bushings & motor mounts.

I got a new golf R a few months back and it made me realize how worn out the LGT really is :(

Good ideas, thanks.

Timing belt / pulleys / water pump / acc belts at 100k & really easy to do later with engine in car.

I also need rear wheel bearings, endlinks are rotted out - need to check all the rubber bushings & motor mounts.

I got a new golf R a few months back and it made me realize how worn out the LGT really is :(

I'd also add checking the valve clearances to make sure they are still within spec, given these cars' problematic tendency to burn valves.

Also, regarding the Golf R, that's also a 2014/2015 $40,000 car design being compared to $32,000 one from 2004, so I'd sure hope it is noticeably better across the board :).

Also, regarding the Golf R, that's also a 2014/2015 $40,000 car design being compared to $32,000 one from 2004, so I'd sure hope it is noticeably better across the board :).

Ah... I was not comparing them in that regard. The new car has simply enhanced my appreciation of the amount of wear & tear in the old.

Maybe a new flywheel when you do the clutch since that wears too?

New engine mounts and pitch stop dog bone.

New exhaust fasteners for when they break.

New thermostat since you will be changing coolant out when you are pulling engine.

New pcv valve and related/breather hoses. They will be stiff when you pull them off valve covers.

Spark plugs.

Clean throttle body

Any part that is rusty and easy to get to when engine is out

Maybe check/replace oil pickup and reseal oil pan.

Just have your smfw turned, it will be fine.

Have turbo checked by JmP6889928, also replace the oil return hose from turbo.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I also clean my MAF sensor every Spring and wash my K&N panel filter and "lightly" oil it. I'll also do both in a Fall on the Wagon because its driven much more then my Spec B.

Use MAF cleaner you get from the auto parts store, to clean the MAF. The can will last you many years.

Excellent lists

I thought the 07 were dmfw? Any confirmation yes or no?

Is JmP6889928 a ship it and wait deal, or more of a core exchange?

05-06 were dmfw, 07-09 they figured it out and went smfw.

PM JmP and ask him.

Archived