LegacyGT.com

Is there ever a light at the end of the tunnel???

Bought Mrs. Spif's 05 LGT July of last year with 55k miles on it. Been doing routine maintenance on it and she drives it every day to work. First oil change, notice inner boot on front passenger axle torn; replaced at local shop while on vacation. She gets a blow out on the highway late one night; replace all 4 tires and get alignment. Notice that radiator was leaking a while ago, just replaced it today along with oil and trans drain/refill. While under the car I noticed that the front, driver's side inner boot is torn. Car is going in to dealer in a couple days for timing belt, valve cover gaskets and probably spark plugs just becuase they'll be in the area and won't cost much extra, hopefully. Seems to me like this car is a maintenance whore, I keep thinking it's just growing pains since the car was used by a teacher who just drove a few miles each day and is now on a 45+ minute highway/traffic commute... but where does it end? I'm trying to do my due diligence by doing the timing belt early (by miles standards but not years) but now that the axle needs to be replaced I feel like I'm in a 1 step forward, 2 steps backwards never ending loop. Does everyone with there cars replace so much stuff over 15,0000 miles??? I'm tempted to start looking for something with a conventional I4, timing chain and 2 wheel drive trans if these parts keep nickle and diming me.....

A 2005 with 55K miles has seen little use (~ 4,500 miles/year). Regardless of mileage things are going to need maintenance / replacement. Rubber dries, plastic becomes brittle, metal tends to corrode. None of what you mention is cause for concern given the age / mileage of the car.

You have just reaffirmed the general thought by us with high mileage cars that we know these cars don't do well on short drives.

I hope you put Motul Gear 300 in the diff's and 5mt if it has one.

Your in NJ, check out http://www.AZPinstalls.com if they are anywhere near you have them do all work on your car. Tell them I sent you to them.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

It's true 55K is very low miles, but the car is probably coming up on twelve years old now, and the age is a big factor in the maintenance. That kind of mileage on an '05 implies a lot of short trips, which can be hard on cars, too.

I'm surprised about the radiator, but rubber parts like belts, hoses, seals, boots, suspension bushings, etc. I would expect to be going out. You may need a new battery before long. But, I think you will get over the hump, so to speak.

BTW, one other item that's often neglected is the brake fluid changes. If you don't know when that was last changed (if ever), it can be tested for moisture or you may want to just go ahead and replace it while the other fluid changes are being done. Corrosion in the brake system is not unusual in older cars that have not been driven much. Caliper sliding pins are another common "sticking point". They need to be kept lubed.

Haven't gotten to the diffs yet as spare time is a bit of a comodity and every job is a half day adventure driving to my parents where I have a work space...but they are on the list of fluid to be changed. AZP is too far away to be a viable option for me, I'd rather deal with an enthusiast shop rather than a dealer but that's not in the cards for me right now. Thought I was picking up a gem since it was always garaged, supposedly well maintained and had its legs stetched in the summer with rides to the shore. My first beater was bought at 150,000 miles and gave me another 120k of nearly maintenance free service. My current Focus I bought at 150,000 miles and has been performing at the same level as the first for the last 60,000 miles but both cars are/were manuals, I'm leary of autos with so many miles but Mrs. Spif's can't drive a stick shift and her commute is too trafficy making it a chore to clutch rather than something fun. I enjoy fixing cars but this one seems to be a never ending battle. Hopefully we will reach the end soon...

Aside from the radiator I see nothing unusual in the work you've performed or are planning to perform. Most 12 year old vehicles will need some form of maintenance.

^^ What he said. It's all routine maintenance and nothing out of the ordinary. I have a little over 105k on my 08 and I'm due to replace the front shafts because they are starting to fling grease from the inner boots. All my trips are short distance aside from a beach trip every now and then. Make sure the dealer replaces the water pump, tensioner and pullies when doing the timing belt.

Add new MAF and oxygen sensors to the list, if you haven't addressed them yet. Along with all rubber vac hoses, turbo/WG hoses, PCV valve and hoses, etc. It amounts to cheap insurance, when compared with the expensive consequences of a failure.

A leak-free motor with good air and fuel sensors is usually a happy one.

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

I share your pain...bought my 2006 Outback XT in Dec 2014 with 42k one-older-owner miles, dealer-serviced. In the 25k miles I've put on it since then, it's needed both front axle shafts (torn boots), front control arm bushings (torn), sway bar links, brakes (rust led to a stuck rear caliper, rotors/pads all around), timing belt/tensioner/pulleys (age, not mileage), converter pipe (rusted through - good excuse for a 3" DP though)...plus normal stuff like tires and fluids. It's overdue for spark plugs and a front O2 sensor code just popped up. Definitely the most needy car at low mileage I've owned.

Thanks for letting me vent guys, I've come back down to reality and am back to rolling with the punches. Just dropped the car at the dealer for the timing belt, we'll see how bad they rake me over the coals on this one. Most likely going to have valve cover gaskets and spark plugs done while it's in there.

Motul 300 is $23/quart?!?!?!? Jesus you guys use expensive fluids in these cars. Is oil made from unicorn pee really necessary for a daily driver that isn't driven very hard? I'm ok with buying quality when it counts but $23 seems a bit excessive...

Thanks for letting me vent guys, I've come back down to reality and am back to rolling with the punches. Just dropped the car at the dealer for the timing belt, we'll see how bad they rake me over the coals on this one. Most likely going to have valve cover gaskets and spark plugs done while it's in there.

Motul 300 is $23/quart?!?!?!? Jesus you guys use expensive fluids in these cars. Is oil made from unicorn pee really necessary for a daily driver that isn't driven very hard? I'm ok with buying quality when it counts but $23 seems a bit excessive...

Motul 8100 (5w30 synthetic) is $37 for a 5 liter jug on amazon.

Paying $23/quart for oil is absurd unless it's literally a track toy.

I had a 10-15 year old 90s Camry back in the mid-2000s. Despite being one of the most infamously rock solid cars ever made, I had similar age-related maintenance as you just described. I remember replacing brake lines, the A/C air compressor, an axle that was leaking grease, shocks and struts, etc. before selling it. I feel like the radiator also needed to be replaced at some point, but can't remember for sure.

Many car components just wear out over time from environmental exposure, even if a car isn't driven much.

The gear 300 is for the tranny, yes, its that important to use the best fluid. These 5mt trannys are made of glass. We know the rear diff is not the strongest.

You only replace those fluids every 30,000 miles. It's cheap insurance when you look at a rebuild.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

The gear 300 is for the tranny, yes, its that important to use the best fluid. These 5mt trannys are made of glass. We know the rear diff is not the strongest.

You only replace those fluids every 30,000 miles. It's cheap insurance when you look at a rebuild.

I've got the 5spd auto. But if the differentials will susvive longer on Motul I guess it's worth it. My 1987 Monte Carlo had its first gear oil change at 175,000 miles, I'm not used to diffs needing service very often lol.

Make sure you put the motul gear 300 in the correct fill hole on the 5eat. You would not be the first one to get it wrong.

The rear diff, make sure you remove the fill plug before you drain the fluid. I learned that one the hard way.

You have just reaffirmed the general thought by us with high mileage cars that we know these cars don't do well on short drives.

I hope you put Motul Gear 300 in the diff's and 5mt if it has one.

Your in NJ, check out http://www.AZPinstalls.com if they are anywhere near you have them do all work on your car. Tell them I sent you to them.

Why do you recommend the Motul? I've also seen cocktails with Motul/Redline/ect recommended.

I've got the 5spd auto. But if the differentials will susvive longer on Motul I guess it's worth it. My 1987 Monte Carlo had its first gear oil change at 175,000 miles, I'm not used to diffs needing service very often lol.

How do you know your Monte didnt need the oil replaced sooner? While the diff didnt blow up, it likely suffered excess wear from old heavily used oil. Unless its a sealed unit, fluids should be replaced at the recommended periods.

05' LGT, ZFD Built 5MT, Stage 2 Cryotune 91/E85, 170,000mi running BRotella T6 and Ecoguard S4615 filters.

Why do you recommend the Motul? I've also seen cocktails with Motul/Redline/ect recommended.

How do you know your Monte didnt need the oil replaced sooner? While the diff didnt blow up, it likely suffered excess wear from old heavily used oil. Unless its a sealed unit, fluids should be replaced at the recommended periods.

Been lot's of talk about the cocktail's and they are a band-aid fix. If you don't have any noise's in the tranny, put the good stuff in it and be safe.

In the long run your wallet will thank you.

I'll get to the diffs one day. Just got the car back from the dealer. Timing belt with all new rollers, water pump and tensioner, valve cover gaskets, spark plugs, coolant flush, oil change (in case VC gaskets got any crap in the oil) and had them remove the banjo bolt filter on the front of the driver side head and looks like I got new engine belts too. $2,200 dollars. From dealer right to other mechanic for new front left axle, $200. Hopefully all she needs for a long while is oil changes and tire rotations. At least we have 100k miles for the timing components.

Archived