LegacyGT.com

TGV not opening till 1000 rpm - normal?

Hey guys,

Didn't get any hits in the thread I originally brought this up in, so I'll ask here:

In chasing a cylinder 3 misfire, I noticed that it starts right when my TGV opens during warm-up idle. Per logs, this is at 1000 RPM. However, I've read through some threads that indicate the TGV should only be active during the first few seconds after startup. So, is it normal for the TGV to stay closed for this long?

Replacing TGV gaskets today, but it would be good to know whether I should suspect abnormal TGV behavior for some reason. Car was tuned by an unknown tuner under previous owner's care, but I don't know if a tune would change TGV function.

Thanks!

What year is your vehicle? The older ones have them just open or closed but later years they're variable and operate even when warm

Good excuse to just delete them though.

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness

On the LGT platform I believe this change occurred in 2007 or 2008. Earlier cars should open the TGVs as soon as ECT comes up or you hit the throttle the first time. Later cars will close them at idle regardless of coolant temps. There are tables calling for open or closed position by pedal angle, Si Drive setting, coolant temp, intake temp, mass airflow and rising load.

These tables btw were only dug out quite recently, so if your tune was done a while back I doubt they could have been modified. Not that there's much advantage in tweaking them. As Andy_mac suggests, if you have any trouble with these at all, consider just deleting them.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Thanks for the responses guys. My car is an 05, so it sounds like they shouldn't be variable. Strange thing, the valves don't open when I tap the throttle.

Well, don't quote me on the above. I'm assuming the LGT of '05 used the same logic as the WRX and STi models of those years. Just delete the damn things and get it over with. Not worth thinking about, let alone fixing.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Archived