LegacyGT.com

Dodge Challenger Demon

Out-of-the-box banned by NHRA...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vD6A6NxySQ]Demon Unleashed | Challenger SRT® Demon | Dodge - YouTube[/ame]

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

It said to run mid 9s and lift the wheels for the first few feet of the track.... but you can't race it at a track because it has no cage. A dodge salesman said "well, its a street car". Then how come every picture and video is of it at the track... a place it's not allowed. I'm confused

Pointless and stupid.

No cage so you can't actually use it for its intended purpose at sanctioned events. If you cage it out it's no longer safe on the street without wearing a helmet. Then we consider the utterly useless suspension set up for any activity other than drag racing, so it will handle like shit doing anything but going strait.

For the price you could build a faster drag race car, with a cage, so you could actually use it on the track.

Since I'm not a drag racing enthusiast I guess I am biased against this one. I'd buy a ZL1 Camaro, or GT350 and have a much more well rounded car.

Pointless and stupid.

No cage so you can't actually use it for its intended purpose at sanctioned events. If you cage it out it's no longer safe on the street without wearing a helmet. Then we consider the utterly useless suspension set up for any activity other than drag racing, so it will handle like shit doing anything but going strait.

For the price you could build a faster drag race car, with a cage, so you could actually use it on the track.

Since I'm not a drag racing enthusiast I guess I am biased against this one. I'd buy a ZL1 Camaro, or GT350 and have a much more well rounded car.

not to mention that either the ZL1 or GT350 can probably made to have more power fairly easily. the one thing the demon has though, is the ability to withstand the drive-line shock of drag launching like no other street can can.

I don't know how easy it would be to add 200hp to the ZL1... or 315hp to the GT350. It wouldn't be terribly hard but I'd imagine without nitrous you would need a 8-10,000 supercharger... a new fuel system and the supporting parts.

I love the spin Dodge puts on NHRA saying "nope" on their new toy right out of the box.

They see it as a badge of honor. I see it as "we were too lazy to integrate a roll cage into the car that would still be safe on the street without wearing a helmet."

They don't really need to design anything. The rules on what a roll cage is at the track are pretty set in stone. A 5 point roll cage isn't dangerous at all on the street. The bars don't even come in front or on the sides of your head. Here is a picture of a 6 point. There is no real danger to your head. And a 8 point which is needed for 9s is the same thing but with 2 more posts crossing in the back behind the front seats.... so even a 8 point doesn't come close to your head.

http://www.phastekperformance.com/v/vspfiles/photos/RPM-CAMARO-ROLL-CAGE-2T.jpg

It amazes me how much hate there is for this thing on so many car forums.

How can you call yourself an enthusiast and not just laugh out loud that Dodge had the balls to build something this completely f*cking nuts, and make it street legal! :lol:

Sure, it's pointless on the street... as are all supercars, and most newer performance cars, including the ZO6, ZL1 and GT350, etc. You can't run any of them through 3 gears without reaching 'go to jail' speeds. That doesn't mean they're not fun to drive.

Just be happy something like the Demon even exists in a world of coal powered hybrids, and self-driving Ubers. ;)

It said to run mid 9s and lift the wheels for the first few feet of the track.... but you can't race it at a track because it has no cage. A dodge salesman said "well, its a street car". Then how come every picture and video is of it at the track... a place it's not allowed. I'm confused

The NHRA has relaxed the rules for stock factory cars that faster than 11.49, so this allow stock ZR1, Z06, GTR, Hellcats etc to run at the track without a roll bar. Car that are modified still are required to meet the roll bar requirements for 11.49 or faster.

Their is a whole different tier of rules for 9.99 for car and the driver also needs a NHRA license for 9.99 or faster.

It amazes me how much hate there is for this thing on so many car forums.

How can you call yourself an enthusiast and not just laugh out loud that Dodge had the balls to build something this completely f*cking nuts, and make it street legal! :lol:

Sure, it's pointless on the street... as are all supercars, and most newer performance cars, including the ZO6, ZL1 and GT350, etc. You can't run any of them through 3 gears without reaching 'go to jail' speeds. That doesn't mean they're not fun to drive.

Just be happy something like the Demon even exists in a world of coal powered hybrids, and self-driving Ubers. ;)

There is definitely a lot of cool engineering in the Demon, and if drag racing is your thing it is bad ass. However I still maintain that Dodge should have figured out a way to incorporate a roll cage to get NHRA blessing for an owner to run it out of the box on the strip.

What they've done is similar to a gun manufacturer making a really nice entry level match pistol, but not including some features that a competitive governing body requires. Forcing the buyer to immediately have a gunsmith start working on the pistol so it can be used for its intended purpose.

Archived