LegacyGT.com

Thanks for the extra MPG mother nature!!

No remote starting + regular blend gasoline (non-winter blend) = +6 mpg!! Score!

http://i.imgur.com/XI7OLP8.jpg

Since my wife and I picked up our 2017 Legacy, she has "only" been averaging about 26 - 27 mpg to and from work (about 70 mile round trip). She has been a bit disappointed with not being able to hit that 30+ mpg mark, but we both knew that the winter time gas + remote starting could be impacting it a bit.

I did not expect such a significant difference due to remote starts and winter fuel! Definitely pleasantly surprised.

Got mine to 30.6 on my trip to Fort Bragg today but when calculating via miles and gas used it came to 28.8. So I'm happy with it since it's the 3.6. This was with gas in Virginia. Ohio probably still has crap gas.

I've had the car for 6months now and have yet hit 30mpg,I get about 27-28mpg

Now 25-26mpg with roof rack&basket

If you are still located in CA, I would likely attribute part of that to CA emissions/gas. If you do a lot of idling with the A/C on too that will impact the MPG.

I normally get the advertised gas mileage around 40degrees and then about +1mpg better for every 10 degrees warmer or -1mpg for every 10 degrees cooler. I got 36mpg after 600 miles of all highway driving at about 60 degrees. I just wished I knew a way to calibrate the mpg readout in the car as it normally runs about 10% high for me (it said I was getting 38.5pmg). I found one for the last gen of outbacks but haven't found a method for the 6th gen legacy.

If you are still located in CA, I would likely attribute oart of that to CA emissions/gas. If you do a lot of idling with the A/C on too that will impact the MPG.

Well I do use remote start with ac or heater on depends on weather..and yes I do still live here in CA.

And I do have Takeda CAI system

I found one for the last gen of outbacks but haven't found a method for the 6th gen legacy.

The current gen Legacy and Outback are identical. Calibration is possible up to +/-10%, but it's a dealer-only adjustment. Most 2.5 owners report that -4% is about the optimum correction. In my experience, the error will vary somewhat depending on where you do most of your driving ... in town vs. on the highway.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Well I do use remote start with ac or heater on depends on weather..and yes I do still live here in CA.

And I do have Takeda CAI system

As my wife and I have learned the amount of time spent idling definitely has a significant impact on MPG.

The current gen Legacy and Outback are identical. Calibration is possible up to +/-10%, but it's a dealer-only adjustment. Most 2.5 owners report that -4% is about the optimum correction. In my experience, the error will vary somewhat depending on where you do most of your driving ... in town vs. on the highway.

Thanks for mentioning this. I didn't know this was something the dealers could adjust. I have a spreadsheet with calculated and Subaru computer reported mileage for every fill-up since I bought my car new. It would be very easy to calculate an average variance.

A casual glance at the data supports your 4% estimate.

I didn't know this was something the dealers could adjust.

Expect a blank stare from your dealer's service writer when you ask about this. Refer them to page MET(diag)-19 of the 2015 Legacy/Outback Factory Service Manual.

MET(diag)-19_User_Customizing.pdf

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I normally get the advertised gas mileage around 40degrees and then about +1mpg better for every 10 degrees warmer or -1mpg for every 10 degrees cooler. I got 36mpg after 600 miles of all highway driving at about 60 degrees. I just wished I knew a way to calibrate the mpg readout in the car as it normally runs about 10% high for me (it said I was getting 38.5pmg). I found one for the last gen of outbacks but haven't found a method for the 6th gen legacy.

IME calibrating is a futile effort. I did calibration on my 2001 X5 and could never get it to match hand calculations. One time it was too high, another too low, yet another too high, and so on and so forth. What I learned is:

• The computer and hand calculated MPG metrics were better aligned over time (i.e. not resetting / calculating each fill up)
  • Use the MPG computer / hand calculation as a relative reference to itself.

Neither is reliable so trying to calculate the absolute fuel economy is an exercise in futility.

Expect a blank stare from your dealer's service writer when you ask about this. Refer them to page MET(diag)-19 of the 2015 Legacy/Outback Factory Service Manual.

Thanks very much for the detailed info. Honestly, I probably won't pursue getting it adjusted. It's not a huge concern for me and doesn't justify the stress and hassle of dealing with the dealer service department. Every time they touch my car, they screw up something new while only achieving about a 75% success rate in fixing whatever it is they were supposed to be fixing. It's a losing battle.

Too bad it's a dealer-only adjustment. I have a fuel computer on my airplane that I've been able to calibrate down to a few tenths of a gallon accuracy in an average fill-up. With the airplane fuel computers, they call the adjustment a "K-factor." You manually track fuel usage for a few tanks worth of gas, do some math and make an adjustment. If you take time to go through the process, it's not too tough to achieve some pretty impressive accuracy.

tell me about it. winter gas+warming up+winter tires=25mpg if i was lucky. Almost cartwheeled out of the car when i saw 34mpg my last tank. now if only we can fix this pollen problem...

Warmer temps now I am getting about 27mpg on my 3.6r combined, with slightly warm ups before and after work.

Washed my car Saturday morning and by early afternoon it was yellow again.

Archived