LegacyGT.com

Datalogging Tactrix

Sparkey

Looking for a bit more guidance in data logging and tuning information. Im reading conflicting information about data logging with the Tactrix, and I cant seem to get a response from them. On the website it clearly states that data logging can be done via SD card standalone. The information I find while searching is "That feature isnt working" or a slew of links to download something that may or may not work.

I have an "Ultra Gauge" but have found the short comings of it and need to upgrade. I really want to be able to monitor misfires and have the ability to download/upload the tunes. (Yea, im a noob and dont have the lingo down yet :lol:)

I also understand I will need a cable and software to work with the data logs and such - what exactly should I get?

05' LGT, ZFD Built 5MT, Stage 2 Cryotune 91/E85, 170,000mi running BRotella T6 and Ecoguard S4615 filters.

Looking for a bit more guidance in data logging and tuning information. Im reading conflicting information about data logging with the Tactrix, and I cant seem to get a response from them. On the website it clearly states that data logging can be done via SD card standalone. The information I find while searching is "That feature isnt working" or a slew of links to download something that may or may not work.

I have an "Ultra Gauge" but have found the short comings of it and need to upgrade. I really want to be able to monitor misfires and have the ability to download/upload the tunes. (Yea, im a noob and dont have the lingo down yet [emoji38])

I also understand I will need a cable and software to work with the data logs and such - what exactly should I get?

You can log to the tactrix via microsd. There are a few threads on here with example fields shown. However, the polling rate is abysmal using this option if you log over kline; CAN does log faster though.

The best, and I mean best, option is to purchase btssm and an otg cable and log to your phone. If you don't want a cable, purchase the btssm bluetooth dongle and log over that. It logs just as fast as romraider and you can email your logs from your phone. You must have android though.

You can log to the tactrix via microsd. There are a few threads on here with example fields shown. However, the polling rate is abysmal using this option if you log over kline; CAN does log faster though.

The best, and I mean best, option is to purchase btssm and an otg cable and log to your phone. If you don't want a cable, purchase the btssm bluetooth dongle and log over that. It logs just as fast as romraider and you can email your logs from your phone. You must have android though.

I thought BtSsm isnt able to flash ECU's. Then I'd have to buy BtSsm and Tactrix right? You mention an OTG cable to phone, can I do the same but cable to laptop for the ECU flashing? Or do I absolutely need Tactrix/Acessport/ect for flashing? The other thing is it would be nice to log without having to hit record and such - IE as long as I ran BtSsm in the background of my phone, it would log. I guess I dont need to log EVERY trip...

05' LGT, ZFD Built 5MT, Stage 2 Cryotune 91/E85, 170,000mi running BRotella T6 and Ecoguard S4615 filters.

I thought BtSsm isnt able to flash ECU's. Then I'd have to buy BtSsm and Tactrix right? You mention an OTG cable to phone, can I do the same but cable to laptop for the ECU flashing? Or do I absolutely need Tactrix/Acessport/ect for flashing? The other thing is it would be nice to log without having to hit record and such - IE as long as I ran BtSsm in the background of my phone, it would log. I guess I dont need to log EVERY trip...
Rhino6303 is exactly right.

BtSsm app on Android phone/tablet + Tactrix + OTG cable is the most practical and user friendly, fastest way to log.

You cant log with the app in the background but BtSsm does have an AUTO log feature for WOT pulls where it will start/stop logging on its own as you punch the throttle.

It will happily log short or long trips (seconds to multi-hour worth of logs), cold/warm starts, cruise in high gear, warm idle, etc. Works great with all log digesting/analyzing tools and logs fast enough to be usable by tuners for remote etuning or local dyno tuning.

Now, if you want the least expensive solution that will work for both tuning and logging and isnt COBB/AP/ATR, you want to pickup a Tactrix v2.0 cable, Windows 7/8/10 laptop, install and configure RomRaider and ECUFlash. Log using RomRaiders logger, flash/reflash using RR or ECUFlash.

The downside of this approach is the need to haul the laptop on all logging trips.

But yes, you will have to use a laptop to flash/reflash regardless using RR, ECUFlash, ECUedit or Subarus own FlashWrite (part of thr SSM Suite), BtSsm is just for logging and monitoring, pulling up LVs, clearing CELs, resetting ECU/TCU, etc.

However, BtSsm is actually more advanced now when compared to other loggers and far far more convenient for monitoring and logging duty.

Join the BtSsm chat, ask Heiche and buy the app, you wont regret it.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/btssm-bluetooth-adapter-app-229709.html?highlight=btssm

http://www.btssm.com/

• 2 weeks later...
Another vote for btssm. I got the micro card logging to work, but dealing with the phone is so much easier since you can email right there. You have to get the codes just right to make the card work, btssm is a click of a button to add a field to log

• 1 month later...

A note to those logging with a 4K laptop RR and ECUFlash do not scale resolution wise so prior to logging decrease the screen resolution to some more XP worthy :)

Other than that once you set up your definitions it all works well, besides the laptop in and out of the car. Also get a long USB cable and preconfigure for your logging profiles BEFORE you start ;)

• 5 months later...

I would like to start out with logging only but would like to be able to flash the ECU at some point.

I don't have a android device currently but the benefits of BtSsm are attractive. From the research I have done, the Tactrix v2.0 cable will work with both so it is not necessary to get the BtSsm bluetooth adapter and the tactrix adapter.

Am I thinking correctly that I just need the Tactrix Openport 2.0 and intsall ecuflash & romraider on my windows laptop to get going? Then if i pick up a OTG android decvice i can get the BtSsm app and make what I already have work for logging convenience?

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply Perscitus

What is the best way to start becoming an expert at romraider and ecuflash?

I will likely join the romraider and tactrix forums and keep reading all that I can find. with the time spent last night things are not too clear.

I have tactrix loaded but not sure which vehicle matches my 2010 LGT.

For RR, I think i have the newest standard ecu definitions loaded but i am not any farther than that.

I have had a microtech standalone on a previous NA car, but this is my first turbo.

I also have an 06 forester (NA) I will probably want to tune at some point just for fuel economy reasons but again logging would be the first goal. it looks like the ECUflash and RR would both work for this car as well as the tactrix 2.0

Sounds like we're in similar boats. However im having issues getting the right java to run RR. Cyrotuneperformance.com has all the definitions and everything needed to make RR work with subies.

Making leaps and bounds this morning with a dedicated logging android device! We had an unused kindle fire lying around the house and finally figured out how to get google play on it. It also looks like it is OTG supported so I'll be purchasing the tactrix plug soon and the BtSsm app. Might have this logging capability first before I figure out romraider or ecuflash. Which is fine. car is completely stock and I was looking to familiarize myself with baseline logs before doing anything. My mods list is pretty short right now... GFB BPV and tune for 91 octane.

Making leaps and bounds this morning with a dedicated logging android device! We had an unused kindle fire lying around the house and finally figured out how to get google play on it. It also looks like it is OTG supported so I'll be purchasing the tactrix plug soon and the BtSsm app. Might have this logging capability first before I figure out romraider or ecuflash. Which is fine. car is completely stock and I was looking to familiarize myself with baseline logs before doing anything. My mods list is pretty short right now... GFB BPV and tune for 91 octane.

Android device+Btssm=good stuff. I much like.

I just started logging and everything too, and need to finish the RR install today but my parts collection is getting out of hand so I started slowly installing everything and learning a TON.

If you want to hold off on the Tactrix and still be able to log you can pickup a cheap Vag-Com Cable off ebay. (this is the one I got https://www.ebay.com/itm/VAG-COM-KKL-409-1-OBD2-USB-Cable-Scanner-Scan-Tool-Audi-VW-SEAT-Volkswagen-Auto/291808374163?hash=item43f1226d93:g:dk0AAOSwGIBZubyk) I have the tactrix, but just for when I want to flash the ECU and I keep the Vag-Com in the car to log and monitor everything. Considering a BT device to get rid of the cable all together.

Archived