LegacyGT.com

Hey, I know nothing about engine swapping so I wanted to ask is it even possible to swap our 2016 2.5i Legacy setup for an STI powertrain? I know there are a number of tuning options and I could jump into a 3.6R but that would mean payments and I don't want to get into that. I have a 2016 bought flat out and not much room for costly upgrades and their isn't much more power to squeeze out of the 2.5i without in time wanting more so I figured go as far as I can and be one and done. Thoughts please.

Hey, I know nothing about engine swapping so I wanted to ask is it even possible to swap our 2016 2.5i Legacy setup for an STI powertrain? I know there are a number of tuning options and I could jump into a 3.6R but that would mean payments and I don't want to get into that. I have a 2016 bought flat out and not much room for costly upgrades and their isn't much more power to squeeze out of the 2.5i without in time wanting more so I figured go as far as I can and be one and done. Thoughts please.

No.You bought a vanilla bland (performance wise) Legacy 2.5i CVT, you have no options that don't involve thousands of dollars.

At least its a nice looking car and youll get decent MPG.

You need to swap cars. Try a WRX, Foz XT or Legacy 3.6.

You can make the 2.5 a bit faster with a tune, however you're limited by the lower torque CVT.

The cost to upgrade the engine/transmission is more than trading/selling and buying the higher output car.

Unless you're doing it for the technical challenge it's just not worth it - especially if you're paying workshop rates for someone else to do the work.

• 4 weeks later...
If want more power, you're better off selling your 2.5i privately and buying a WRX or STI. The amount it's going to cost you between parts and labor is going to cost you the same as spending that extra money.

Well at least you a lovely color Legacy and that (what you mentioned about climbing out) is what the funding industry is built on my friend. Just bought a CPO 2016 Camry SE list price was $17,991.00 put down $7500.00 the Finance Manager said "why are you putting so much cash down?"

As in just take the standard deal (60 months @ 2.97% APR) told him im not here so you make money on interest. Went with 36 months @ 2.49% APR (our own Credti union).

The problem with the 2.5i is drops in value way faster than your monthly principal payment equate to. My 08 which I bought new in 08 for $26K (with options) was valued at $19.7 as of Jan 09 and plummeted until it settled in around $4520.

My 08 which I bought new in 08 for $26K (with options) was valued at $19.7 as of Jan 09 and plummeted until it settled in around $4520.

I had my 09 appraised in 2014 at a dealer and they offered me 5 grand for it, in 2015 when it blew up, Insurance gave me 9 grand for it :lol::lol: provided me with a nice down payment on my WRX. I paid 29 for the car and got 1.89% APR, I just paid it off 4 months ago.

Best bet is to find a wrecked sti or wrx to take all the parts off. Engine trans crossmember rear diff and drive shaft. Plus you need to get the cpu and the wiring harness merged. your looking at about 3 months or so of down time if your not doing everything yourself.

You can swap any car with enough time and money. You mention you don't have much room for costly upgrades, so I'd enjoy your paid in full car as is. Wheels and tires will make a nice difference though.

Best bet is to find a wrecked sti or wrx to take all the parts off. Engine trans crossmember rear diff and drive shaft. Plus you need to get the cpu and the wiring harness merged. your looking at about 3 months or so of down time if your not doing everything yourself.

BBpeik swapped an sti 6mt into his 5th gen LGT, it involved custom motor/trans mounts and weeks of down time to custom make parts. This is not something you are going to bolt in with stock parts. The engine/trans on your car does not bolt in the same way the STI engine/trans does.

And then you are looking at somehow getting the engine and trans to talk to the canbus system on your car and play nicely.

I think by the time you are done you would have bought your car twice and it will be worth half what you paid for it.

Best bet is to fix the handling and then pray raptor has a supercharger kit for it when you have the money saved.

You bought a commuter, enjoy it for what it is and try to make it better with in its limits. A car doesn't have to be fast to be fun!

BBpeik swapped an sti 6mt into his 5th gen LGT, it involved custom motor/trans mounts and weeks of down time to custom make parts. This is not something you are going to bolt in with stock parts. The engine/trans on your car does not bolt in the same way the STI engine/trans does.

And then you are looking at somehow getting the engine and trans to talk to the canbus system on your car and play nicely.

I think by the time you are done you would have bought your car twice and it will be worth half what you paid for it.

Best bet is to fix the handling and then pray raptor has a supercharger kit for it when you have the money saved.

You bought a commuter, enjoy it for what it is and try to make it better with in its limits. A car doesn't have to be fast to be fun!

Well said, thanks for chiming in it gave a lot to think about.

Archived