LegacyGT.com

Crooked TMIC

So I just picked up this stock 05 GT wagon for a daily while I tinker with my supra. It was owned by a Subaru tech that replaced the head gaskets, timing belt, banjo bolt filters, and associated parts. So things were taken apart and possibly not put back all the way, since it was his daily work car.

Anyone have an idea as to what I could look for that would cause misalignment of the TMIC? Seems like the turbo is sitting lower or the Throttle intake boot is causing it too sit higher:confused:

*Don't mind the hose off the BOV

http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv94/Kidd_Nickles/Mobile%20Uploads/20170403_083152_zpsyr7csddd.jpg

http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv94/Kidd_Nickles/Mobile%20Uploads/20170403_083140_zpscoeuzc04.jpg

Underneath the intercooler there is a metal bracket that supports it. There is some room for adjustment in how this bracket attaches to the engine. You can adjust and slightly bend this bracket if needed. It is possible the car had an aftermarket intercooler and the stock one was put back on before selling the car.

PS It is good to put your stock engine cover on if you have it. It will help direct air from the scoop through the intercooler where it will do the most good.

It didn't come with the engine cover. I plan to get one since it looked functional.

I see the support brace on driver/left side of the intake manifold 20170404_000208.thumb.jpg.475f12a908d5a371f61f6b83de2beec8.jpg

20170404_000219.thumb.jpg.4cc6f89e79224314b7aea6abd79b5812.jpg

20170404_000335.thumb.jpg.0f667a532c429329521fdd2c63588708.jpg

*I'm waiting on bolts from subaru so I can mount the rear torque rod/mount. That's why it's missing, was just resting there with no bolts [emoji58] 20170404_000343.thumb.jpg.c1f5bf0fa189ba4c72713b5118509398.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

That last picture is good, there is no mounting on that bracket, both my cars didn't use that stud by the brown connector.

You'll want a heat shield for the turbo.

1st, pic, I wonder why the bracket doesn't reach that bolt hole on the tmic ?

3rd pic, looks like a nut is missing on the stud coming up from the up pipe ?

Use anti-seize compound on every nut and bolt you put on the car.

He's how I bolt the turbo on,

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4782.jpg

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Glad to see the support bracket is still there. Grab an M8 bolt, attach the TMIC, and it will straighten out.

I am a little worried about the turbocharger alignment. Given the angle of the TMIC and the missing nut that Max pointed out, there may be issues with the turbo mounting.

Approach this car with great caution and thorough testing. Sloppy external assembly work may reflect similar attention to detail on the inside work.

There is something odd about the way that intercooler is laying in there. It should line up with that bracket on the driver's side and be bolted down securely. As "Eagle Eye" Max Capacity said, you are missing the turbo heat shield and at least one of the bolts on the uppipe connection (sloppy mechanical work).

I'm wondering if the turbo was re-clocked at some point. That might explain the funny angle on the intercooler. Could be some stock parts were hastily thrown on to replace mods before the car was sold.

+1 on possible return to stock. Advise compression test to find out exactly what you bought.

I think I see an EGT sensor wire. A Subaru tech should know to put on a catless up-pipe. So better check that banjo bolt too.

You'll want a heat shield for the turbo.

1st, pic, I wonder why the bracket doesn't reach that bolt hole on the tmic ?

3rd pic, looks like a nut is missing on the stud coming up from the up pipe ?

The missing is for the brace for the up pipe to motor. Was told the up pipe cat was gutted now I think about it. Unlikely the manifold or up pipe is bent since it's cast....I'm going to get to the bottom of this lol. It's an eye sore and I can't mount an engine cover until it's fixed.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'm waiting on bolts from subaru so I can mount the rear torque rod/mount. That's why it's missing, was just resting there

I am a little worried about the turbocharger alignment. Given the angle of the TMIC and the missing nut that Max pointed out, there may be issues with the turbo mounting

you are missing the turbo heat shield and at least one of the bolts on the uppipe connection

There is something odd about the way that intercooler is laying in there. It should line up with that bracket on the driver's side and be bolted down securely. As "Eagle Eye" Max Capacity said, you are missing the turbo heat shield and at least one of the bolts on the uppipe connection (sloppy mechanical work).

I'm wondering if the turbo was re-clocked at some point. That might explain the funny angle on the intercooler. Could be some stock parts were hastily thrown on to replace mods before the car was sold.

I'm also thinking the turbo was re-clocked. Easy fix would be a GS tmic.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

PS It is good to put your stock engine cover on if you have it. It will help direct air from the scoop through the intercooler where it will do the most good.

Funny, I was questioning this the other day. I've been looking at/into JDM ABS/Batt/ect covers. Does the engine cover mate with the scoop? Has someone done intake temp test with and without the cover? I like what they did with the newer scoops and adding a duct to REALLY direct that air to the TMIC. The older FXT's have a built in lip on the TMIC to help, but why such differences?

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.2511182.1453917542!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_1200/2016-subaru-forester.jpg

Sorry I have nothing worthwhile to add to the thread... I blame MilesA for distracting me with a squirrel :lol: I was just here to try and learn about TMIC mounting and such...

05' LGT, ZFD Built 5MT, Stage 2 Cryotune 91/E85, 170,000mi running BRotella T6 and Ecoguard S4615 filters.

There was a thread years ago about the difference with and with that cover and the lower engine cover too.

I have not had the top cover since the car was 2 weeks old, July 04. I took it off to see under it once, lost a plastic clip and said, oh well now I can the engine every time I open the hood.

I sold that cover years ago.

Air from the scoop needs to go through the intercooler to reduce the intake charge temperature, otherwise it does no good. Most of the cooling happens where the temperature difference between intake charge and ambient air is greatest, i.e. the first few inches of the intercooler core. If the air leaks around the intercooler, you are losing efficiency.

I hesitate to even bring up basic thermodynamics because people love to argue over this stuff. So, I'll just leave it at that.

Air from the scoop needs to go through the intercooler to reduce the intake charge temperature, otherwise it does no good. Most of the cooling happens where the temperature difference between intake charge and ambient air is greatest, i.e. the first few inches of the intercooler core. If the air leaks around the intercooler, you are losing efficiency.

I hesitate to even bring up basic thermodynamics because people love to argue over this stuff. So, I'll just leave it at that.

So are you saying it wouldnt be advised for me to put an N/A hood on and retain the TMIC? :rolleyes:

Im not debating that point - I just doubt that the 'seal' or 'duct' made from having the engine cover on is as effective as you believe. You even said it yourself - if the air leaks around, you're losing efficiency. No need to try and go all Neil Degrasse Tyson or anything :lol:

05' LGT, ZFD Built 5MT, Stage 2 Cryotune 91/E85, 170,000mi running BRotella T6 and Ecoguard S4615 filters.

So are you saying it wouldnt be advised for me to put an N/A hood on and retain the TMIC? :rolleyes:

Im not debating that point - I just doubt that the 'seal' or 'duct' made from having the engine cover on is as effective as you believe. You even said it yourself - if the air leaks around, you're losing efficiency. No need to try and go all Neil Degrasse Tyson or anything :lol:

You are debating the point, rather pointlessly, I might add. :lol: Thermodynamics has been studied since the days of steam engines. As I said, people love to argue.

An absolute seal is not necessary to improve airflow. Simply increasing the amount of air going through the intercooler is enough to improve efficiency. Efficiency for an intercooler can be measured by temperature difference T(in) - T(out), aka delta T. For two intercoolers with equal flow, the higher delta T, the higher the efficiency. Efficiency is a matter of degree, not a yes/no question.

You could measure and test the difference in delta T if you wanted to demonstrate the difference between having the cover and not having the cover. I'm not planning on running the experiment just to prove it to you, but you are welcome to do the experiment if you're interested.

If the air leaks around the intercooler, you are losing efficiency..

An absolute seal is not necessary to improve airflow. Simply increasing the amount of air going through the intercooler is enough to improve efficiency.

If you want to be technical, its actually a combination of thermal and fluid dynamics we are discussing. :rolleyes:

You cant have it both ways. If air leaks you are loosing efficiency, especially if you want to then say "Efficiency is a matter of degree, not a yes or no question".

Just because something is more efficient does not automatically make it better or worth it. An upgraded air intake would be more efficient at moving air... however it is not more effective then the stock box.

Sorry for the total thread hijack... I learned what I wanted.

If you want to be technical, its actually a combination of thermal and fluid dynamics we are discussing. :rolleyes:

You cant have it both ways. If air leaks you are loosing efficiency, especially if you want to then say "Efficiency is a matter of degree, not a yes or no question".

Just because something is more efficient does not automatically make it better or worth it. An upgraded air intake would be more efficient at moving air... however it is not more effective then the stock box.

Sorry for the total thread hijack... I learned what I wanted.

You know, I said that bit about the top cover to help the OP. Not to start an off-topic argument with you. That was your idea.

Efficiency has a specific meaning in the context of an intercooler. It is a measure of effectiveness. More efficient is better in this case. More airflow across the intercooler = more efficient = better.

Does the cover increase the amount of air passing through the intercooler as opposed to a naked intercooler hanging in space under the scoop, or not? You think the cover is useless? I don't. The better aftermarket intercoolers include a custom air splitter for similar reasons - improved efficiency.

The remainder of your post was a painful mixture of non-sequitur, distraction, misunderstanding and totally gratuitous eye-rolling.

ATLspeed, welcome to the forum. I wish I could say they're not always like this.
Well, you could notice the 95% helpful posts. But then you would miss your golden opportunity to insert snarky comments. ;)

Archived