LegacyGT.com

Totalled Car

engine and transmission damage will up the odds of the car being totalled. Impact to the front axle probably has a greater chance of that happening. The rear not so much.

(source, how to total a 2014 BMW X3, have the front passenger side take a sub 20mph hit, axle gets pushed into the engine block cracking it, potential transmission damage, went from a $3,000 initial estimate to over 20k once they saw it was leaking oil due to the cracked engine block. Engine alone was $16k)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You dont understand what you're talking about and its clear that you've never worked in the industry. Instead of arguing with people that have or that have familiarity with the case law, you are spouting off on stuff you barely have any knowledge.

The reason the white grand am was at fault was because he rear ended you. I guarantee you that the grand am's insurance company found the driver who rear ended him to be at fault for the damages he received in the rear and so on an so forth down the line.

There is such a thing as 'control of a lane'. Even if a car 'darts' out in front of you, if they control the lane and you hit them dead on in the rear, it is absolutely 100% your fault. The more the damage to the car is to the side, the greater the amount of contributing liability that is shared. But when we commonly say 'rear end' I mean a straight on impact - meaning that the car had control of the lane prior to it being hit.

You may think you are making some type of reasoned argument, but what you are really doing is exposing yourself and the yawning chasm of knowledge and experience which your drag around regarding this subject.

This is tantamount to me going to a aeronautical engineering forum and arguing with people that design aircraft parts because Ive been on a couple of flights that had heavy turbulence.

lol accurate analogy. Just to warn you, this kid won't quit...obsessed with getting the last word even when it's obvious he is clueless on the subject. Mentality of a twelve year old...

72d58c7243f59c5ee12184849d786adc.jpg

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Really Vic,

So your saying if you hit something at 20mph, and all you do is damage the grill, headlight, bumper skin and then the air bags deploy the car is totalled.

Instead of posting a stupid reply with a cartoon why don't you post where it says that it is a totalled vehicle in New York. They I will say that I was wrong for my reply.

My point is that everyone here is trying to contribute to the post positively and it's funny when someone goes on a post to just to call someone out. But if you must know. I work for a reinsurance company and know a few claims adjuters who have explained how the process works. I have family and friends who work at body shops and my dad is a mechanic. My 2015 Legacy was side swiped while parked and while the damage was superficial and the metal didn't dent the cost to repair was close to four grand. Imagine a car getting rear ended and all airbags deployed. You do know how much one airbag costs? For that matter four and those side curtain airbags, the repair to the dash headliner if applicable and then whatever repairs needed not to mention a twisted unibody etc and labor. Trust me I have seen this on more than a dozen vehicles and they were ALL totalled. Next you might ask for the names and numbers of the folks who had them totalled?

My point is that everyone here is trying to contribute to the post positively and it's funny when someone goes on a post to just to call someone out. But if you must know. I work for a reinsurance company and know a few claims adjuters who have explained how the process works. I have family and friends who work at body shops and my dad is a mechanic. My 2015 Legacy was side swiped while parked and while the damage was superficial and the metal didn't dent the cost to repair was close to four grand. Imagine a car getting rear ended and all airbags deployed. You do know how much one airbag costs? For that matter four and those side curtain airbags, the repair to the dash headliner if applicable and then whatever repairs needed not to mention a twisted unibody etc and labor. Trust me I have seen this on more than a dozen vehicles and they were ALL totalled. Next you might ask for the names and numbers of the folks who had them totalled?

Bro, you better watch out with that kind of talk. There are guys here on this board, in this very thread in fact, that have been in not one, but two car accidents. When they say they know liability decisions and damage thresholds, its wise not to challenge them with just your piddly years of actual professional experience.

Bro, you better watch out with that kind of talk. There are guys here on this board, in this very thread in fact, that have been in not one, but two car accidents. When they say they know liability decisions and damage thresholds, its wise not to challenge them with just your piddly years of actual professional experience.

I'm not challenging anyone. I myself was run over by a drunk driver almost died and still suffer from that event. If I offended you then I apologize. Just know that I have seen posts that seemed inaccurate and didn't post or comment. My experience is meaningless and I was merely replying on facts. Being a volunteer Police officer and seeing many accidents and the end results also weigh in. If you knew me you would know but you don't.

I'm not challenging anyone. I myself was run over by a drunk driver almost died and still suffer from that event. If I offended you then I apologize. Just know that I have seen posts that seemed inaccurate and didn't post or comment. My experience is meaningless and I was merely replying on facts. Being a volunteer Police officer and seeing many accidents and the end results also weigh in. If you knew me you would know but you don't.

Bud,

Re-read what I wrote. I was being sarcastic.

Bud,

Re-read what I wrote. I was being sarcastic.

You got me bud. [emoji23]

I don't want this thread to go down. I should've never replied. But I just had to. [emoji23] Hope everything is going well for the OP.

• 2 weeks later...
What's the verdict?

They are still repairing it, my insurance covers only 30 day rental, Will call them to see if they can extend it. Another 10 or so days left to get it back. I am at fault until further investigation.

Surprised at this one, a harbor freight variable speed polisher/buffer should have buffed that right out...

On the plus side, the sensor on the passenger side kept that airbag intact, I'm guessing no passenger in the car?

Correct no passenger, was surprised the side airbags didn't go.

Correct no passenger, was surprised the side airbags didn't go.

They do give us a sensor in the passenger seat, and a light in the overhead console telling us when the passenger seat airbag is disabled.

I guess it saves money in minor collisions, not sure if that is mandated since many cars have that built in, maybe it is to prevent damage to a front passenger baby seat should someone be lazy enough to put their child in that seat instead of the rear?

I guess it saves money in minor collisions, not sure if that is mandated since many cars have that built in, maybe it is to prevent damage to a front passenger baby seat should someone be lazy enough to put their child in that seat instead of the rear?

Maybe the intention is to protect a baby if someone decides to disregard all the warnings of putting a car seat in the front.

I have 20# dogs. 1 dog in the front seat doesn't enable the airbag, but 2 x 20# dogs does.

Archived