LegacyGT.com

Accompanied Friend for 2017 WRX Purchase

I drove an hour with my friend yesterday to go pick up his shiny new white 2017 WRX. He is just starting to drive stick so I got to drive it home for him.

It blew me away how well it handles out of the box. It needs a short shifter and shift bushings to fix the ambiguous shift feel but otherwise it was amazing. It made me second guess all the money and hours I've poured into my Legacy GT.

I'm supposed to finish school in December and I think once I secure a salary I'm going to buy a new World Rally Blue STI with some shiny gold wheels and a wingless trunk.

That being said, he got the base model so my GT still has a few things his WRX doesn't have - mirror/wiper defrosters, moonroof, heated seats, leather, good looking wheels, and the constant anxious anticipation of ej25 ringland failure. :)

I did not like the 2015+ WRX's until I saw a few slightly modified ones and drove one. The one thing I'm still curious about is the power curve. I was kind of babying it since it was not my car and it was in the break in period still. It has WAY more power than my Legacy low down though. Between the six speed and that early power I had no issues scooting around well below 4,000 rpm.

I test drove one a couple of weeks ago. I felt the clutch was super heavy and hard to modulate correctly. It also showed me that I am not a kid anymore and all the constant mechanical noises would drive me insane. Plus I don't vape or wear a flat brim hat, so I did not quite fit the demographics for it.

It is a nice cat overall. Drove the premium. Got another Legacy Limited with eyesight.

---

I test drove one a couple of weeks ago. I felt the clutch was super heavy and hard to modulate correctly. It also showed me that I am not a kid anymore and all the constant mechanical noises would drive me insane. Plus I don't vape or wear a flat brim hat, so I did not quite fit the demographics for it.

It is a nice cat overall. Drove the premium. Got another Legacy Limited with eyesight.

Wow that's really interesting. The clutch in my friend's new WRX is ultra light to press to the floor. After driving my 09 Legacy (with a mystery clutch in it as I bought the car used) I nearly pushed the WRX clutch through the firewall on accident. My Legacy clutch takes a bionic leg to operate.

I had an '05 Legacy GT with he clutch from hell. The WRX was softer but still takes effort to engage. I had a Miata where the clutch was buttery sweet. I also have a 05 Impreza 2.5RS that has a nice clutch.

Maybe the WRX clutch just needs to break in but the experience was not as good.

---

Plus I don't vape or wear a flat brim hat, so I did not quite fit the demographics for it.

Not all of us WRX/STI owners fit that demographic. Just most of us.

Shifter bushing make a huge difference. Never will be like a bolt action rifle, but maybe a Sten upgraded to a Kalashnikov.

But how many cars in this price range do people follow you just to give you a thumbs up?

Not all LGTs are exactly low key. Yesterday while make some logs for fahr_side, (shir, yesh shir - right on it shir), an LGT pulled up next to me on the 84 - louder pipes and bigger rims than me. I think it was a Washington car.

Shifter bushing make a huge difference.

The '15~ 6MT WRX uses a cable shifter, so it needs all the help it can get.

Yesterday while make some logs for fahr_side, (shir, yesh shir - right on it shir)

Back to work!

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

• 1 month later...
Not all of us WRX/STI owners fit that demographic. Just most of us.

Shifter bushing make a huge difference. Never will be like a bolt action rifle, but maybe a Sten upgraded to a Kalashnikov.

But how many cars in this price range do people follow you just to give you a thumbs up?

I upgraded my shifter as much as I could. I bought mine with a dealer installed STI short shifter & I put in the Kartboy Short Shifter plate with bearing & the Kartboy Shift Stop. Made a huge difference in the shifts.

I upgraded my shifter as much as I could. I bought mine with a dealer installed STI short shifter & I put in the Kartboy Short Shifter plate with bearing & the Kartboy Shift Stop. Made a huge difference in the shifts.

Did that have any impact on the NVH?

What? I can't hear you. I'm in my STi.

It was. It took my friend and I 6 hours to do, we didn't have the right punch to get the last pin out, once we did it was cake. It's also tough doing it from Jackstands, you're really working in close quarters.

How much extra noise and vibration did you get in the cockpit?

It's minimal if anything, I never really noticed much of a difference. I noticed a bigger difference in noise when I upgraded my tires from the stock 235 dunlop's to Conti DWS 245's and it's much quieter.

• 5 months later...
I drove an hour with my friend yesterday to go pick up his shiny new white 2017 WRX. He is just starting to drive stick so I got to drive it home for him.

It blew me away how well it handles out of the box. It needs a short shifter and shift bushings to fix the ambiguous shift feel but otherwise it was amazing. It made me second guess all the money and hours I've poured into my Legacy GT.

I'm supposed to finish school in December and I think once I secure a salary I'm going to buy a new World Rally Blue STI with some shiny gold wheels and a wingless trunk.

That being said, he got the base model so my GT still has a few things his WRX doesn't have - mirror/wiper defrosters, moonroof, heated seats, leather, good looking wheels, and the constant anxious anticipation of ej25 ringland failure. :)

I did not like the 2015+ WRX's until I saw a few slightly modified ones and drove one. The one thing I'm still curious about is the power curve. I was kind of babying it since it was not my car and it was in the break in period still. It has WAY more power than my Legacy low down though. Between the six speed and that early power I had no issues scooting around well below 4,000 rpm.

How would you compare the interior of the legacy vs WRX. I loved the upgraded quality of the interior of the Legacy over my 2002 WRX and 2008 WRX. I know the new WRX has a nicer interior, but I haven't actually ridden in one.

How would you compare the interior of the legacy vs WRX. I loved the upgraded quality of the interior of the Legacy over my 2002 WRX and 2008 WRX. I know the new WRX has a nicer interior, but I haven't actually ridden in one.

Overall I found the '17 STi base very similar to my 5th Gen LGT. Same fake carbon trim and plastics. Better seats. Missing features like folding mirrors and headlight washers. Weaker HVAC. A bit more NVH and road noise. The stereo is pretty crap, but I find I enjoy listening to the car more. YMMV.

I like the interior of my Legacy more, personally. For reference, my Legacy is OBP and has a black leather interior. The seats in the WRX were cloth. I think cloth seats make sense for a number of reasons but leather seats make the car feel more expensive and more high end. It's kind of a psychological thing for me.

I will say though that, annoyingly, even though the whole bottom half of the interior is black, the top half the Legacy's interior is inexplicably beige...

So yeah, his is a base model WRX but I would love to see the interior of a Limited WRX. :confused::eek::mad::redface::spin:

Archived