LegacyGT.com

Five Dollar Fix Question

I used the $5 fix on my downstream 0s sensor for a 1998 Subaru legacy LS and it worked great

I bought the spark plug gappers, drilled the holes and bam. No CEL

Does the same thing work on the upper 02 sensor?

The cat is good. It is new and only 2 years. The check engine light says bad cat and everyone wants me to buy it for 1500 and have them install it for 500-750.

What are your thoughts on the famous $5 fix for the upper 0s sensor?

or if you have any other fixes let me know

thanks in advance for the help

No. The front sensor sets your A/F ratio.

There is good and bad to using a rear spacer.

The good, it fools the emissions part of the computer, so you don't get a cel and helps you pass inspection in those states in which you cannot have a cel to pass.

The bad, since the rear checks how much unburned fuel via the amount of O2 in the stream, if you have a rich condition, but the ecu thinks all is ok, what you are doing is degrading the cat and burning extra fuel for nothing.

A spacer should only be a temp fix. Spend the money and get the car running like it should.

O.

Chances are, if the cat is newer, the front O2 is probably on it's way out. As Osei said, the rear spacer should be a temporary fix in order to get the car to pass inspection in states that require an e-test. It also is used for rear cat deletes, provided your engine is in good running condition and the front sensor is working properly.

If it is your cat I wouldn't pay nearly that much at all for them. I recently has a 2.5 inch high flow MagnaFlow catylic converter with the O2 sensor port in the cat installed. That cat cost me 90$ online and a entire new exhuast cost me 200$ so I wouldn't pay that much at all

My car is running rich, lots of soot in the exhuast, super black, probably my O2 sensors huh? No cel tho

My car is running rich, lots of soot in the exhuast, super black, probably my O2 sensors huh? No cel tho

Could be a knock sensor or dirty MAF too. Dumping too much fuel into the engine because it's detecting a AFM imbalance

I'm willing to bet it's the 02 then. The knock sensor is in great shape and not cutting my ignition timing like it was before I swapped them and the exhaust is brand new professionally done up with headers... but that guy reused my old O2 sensors for some apparent reason

Archived