LegacyGT.com

05 legacy gt.....so many codes. Any help is much appreciated

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the mod's done to the engine ARP head studs were standard equipment.

If you think time goes by fast now...wait till you have kids. LOL My son will turn 30y/o in a week.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Just an update, I've decide to change the oil before i start it since it looks black. And when it was last changed it got Mobil1 5w30, then my dad used a quart of super tech 5w30 for topping up, and now he was half way through a quart of oreillys 5w30:spin: i don't like the idea of having mis mash of three different oils wether its a big deal or not.

And a sidenote, as i thought my dad doesn't want anything to do with this car anymore, he's looking at newer cars now. He told me to put it on Craigslist for $1500, so i offered him $1000 so now it's my project car! So I'll be sticking around here guys(and gals)!

1000$! Daaaang. Nice deal.

The oil most people recommend is Shell Rotella synthetic 5w40. Can be had at Walmart for ~21$ for a gallon.

Thanks for oil recommendation! I was actually debating between getting that or mobile1 0w40. It's crazy how much more auto stores charge for oil, i was just at advanced auto and they wanted $26 for gallon of rotella!

And oh yeah, a very good deal but it needs allot of work. My father has basically just been putting gas in it, driving it and changing the oil for going on about 7 years now. It'll take time but I'll get it back in order! So far i like working on it, it seems like allot of stuff is fairly accessible.

And another question i have, i know it needs a new bov. The guys at the local shop esp told my father that like a year ago....but he never got one, why?:iam: so i want to get the same one thats on the car now, but the only markings i can find are "aps" on it. No part number or anything else i can find. Is there a way to find out what exactly i should get?

What does ESP recommend for a blow off valve or ask Mike at TA.

I suggest you do a couple quick oil changes to get the inside cleaned up. Even with my 7000 OCI the oil is never black. I use Amsoil European 5w-40 full SAPS, which is now call Classic I think.

But you can use the T6 and be fine with that.

Also I suggest Motul 300 gear for the rear diff and tranny, I think this car has a 5mt right ?

When the tranny is out think about adding Moore Performance Blast Plates, I really enjoy the way they make the tranny shift cleaner, mine never fights me going into 3rd gear at high rpm anymore.

Next nice day look the car over really well, check out the underside of the engine and the ground wires. Most of us have upgraded the grounds from the heads to the chassis.

Make sure the grounds off the back of the engine by the brake booster are clean too.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4706_zpsd32de351.jpg

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

What does ESP recommend for a blow off valve or ask Mike at TA.

I suggest you do a couple quick oil changes to get the inside cleaned up. Even with my 7000 OCI the oil is never black. I use Amsoil European 5w-40 full SAPS, which is now call Classic I think.

But you can use the T6 and be fine with that.

Thanks max, I'll give them a call and see what they say about the bov. I should go down there and talk with them to try and get as much info about the car as possible. Honestly though I'm somewhat embarrassed to even bring the car down there with it in the condition it's in lol

I'll do a few oil changes at short intervals for sure, hopefully the t6 will help clean it up a bit.

Tell Dave the story, don't worry, they are there to help you and keep your car running well and there reputation in good standing.

Same with Mike of TA.

Can you actually list all the mods this engine currently has? Provide also a picture of the whole engine bay too.

Sure thing! But keep in mind that whatever i list as done to the engine is what I've been told or can obviously see. Some things in going to have to confirm.

-front mount intercooler

-800 or 850cc injectors(was told this)

-aps fuel raills

-cobb crack pulley

-equal length headers(was told this)

-bigger garret turbo(i think i was told it's a 35r or something?)

-aps bov(needs to be replaced)

- hand welded intercooler pipes, down pipe and intake pipe(intake pipe is 4", i think downpipe is 3")

-arp head studs(was told this)

-i think it may have a catch can setup, there are two hand welded "canisters/cans" in the engine bay but im not %100 sure what each is yet...

I'm sure there's things i missing since i just don't know

P.s. don't mind the arrow in that first pic. I don't know why but isn't letting post a picture a take, but if i screen shot the picture then it's let's me post the screenshot...weird lol

1851691960_Capture_2017-03-29-14-13-06.thumb.png.ad641739734627beec1bdc4bd1ac3806.png

508992979_Capture_2017-03-31-16-21-50.thumb.png.9ae02220917067cb87a461c261dcfa48.png

617766422_Capture_2017-03-31-16-22-04.thumb.png.ae3befcbc76547042e45c3b8a2762175.png

wow. This engine is fairly modified then. Any idea who tuned it? Can't remember if max told you or not, but yeah once you put everything back, I would definitely have a tuner look at how the car is running.

I can see a catch can in the back.

I can also see the MAF has been relocated closer to the throttle body looks like.

Finally, did you check for turbo shaft play since you can easily access the cold side at least?

Tell Dave the story, don't worry, they are there to help you and keep your car running well and there reputation in good standing.

Same with Mike of TA.

Will do, it's probably for the best to have them look it over. It'll be good to get any knowledge they have about this car in particular too. I'll try to get down there next weekend since this weekend I'm going to be busy looking at cars with my dad.

wow. This engine is fairly modified then. Any idea who tuned it? Can't remember if max told you or not, but yeah once you put everything back, I would definitely have a tuner look at how the car is running.

I can see a catch can in the back.

I can also see the MAF has been relocated closer to the throttle body looks like.

Finally, did you check for turbo shaft play since you can easily access the cold side at least?

It was tuned at esp in sterling ma(i live in sterling) but that was a couple years ago. I did check the shaft for play on the cold side and though it does have a little, it's what I'd consider a very minimal amount. Max said some people consider any play too much play so i might look into getting it rebuilt possibly? Next weekend most likely I'll take it down to esp to have then look it over.

Also I suggest Motul 300 gear for the rear diff and tranny, I think this car has a 5mt right ?

When the tranny is out think about adding Moore Performance Blast Plates, I really enjoy the way they make the tranny shift cleaner, mine never fights me going into 3rd gear at high rpm anymore.

Next nice day look the car over really well, check out the underside of the engine and the ground wires. Most of us have upgraded the grounds from the heads to the chassis.

Make sure the grounds off the back of the engine by the brake booster are clean too.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4706_zpsd32de351.jpg

Yes it is a 5 speed. I do plan on changing the tranny and diff fluids too, I'll look into the motul 300 for that.

When the tranny is out?! I hope i don't have to take it out lol but I'll definitely do some research on those moore performance blast plates, they sound pretty cool lol:D

I'll check out those ground wires too and clean them up if they're flakey. By upgrade them do mean replace them with a bigger gauge wire?

Edit: i just looked up those blast plates for the transmission and i saw i picture of a subaru transmission.... Does this thing not have a front diff?lol It looks like the axles go right into the tranny. So that would mean no transfer case either right? This is a world of new for me apparently:lol:

I posted a bunch of internal tranny pictures in a thread a week or so ago. Can't remember which thread now...

Yes the front and center diff's are in the tranny.

PM me later when I'm home and I'll post those here...I'm old and if you don't remind me, I'll forget...;)

Thanks for pictures max! That helpa with my understanding of how it works a decent bit. And damn that looks like an exceptionally clean break on that shaft lol

Thanks for the kind words sparks! And yeah it definitely looks like the front diff is integrated into the tranny by the looks of the pictures max posted.

On Saturday(maybe friday night if i feel like it) I'm changing the oil and then starting it to see what codes come back. Like i was told at the beginning the p0011 is the one to really worry about so hopefully the filter in the banjo bolt was getting clogged and causing that. I'll update with what, if any codes come back!

I have shortlist going in my head for things i want to do before i start driving it.

-get rid of these codes lol

-new belts and most likely pulleys

-timing belt and drivers side banjo filter

-car doesn't hold more than around 5psi boost(I'm told, don't know why)

So yeah...i got a bit to go but it'll come together! Haha

Have we talked about doing a boost leak test ? That we test for a vacuum hose or connection that may be leaking.

Have we talked about doing a boost leak test ? That we test for a vacuum hose or connection that may be leaking.

No we haven't, i wad planning on doing a smoke cheapo home smoke test to see if i can find any leaks. Is there a better was to test for leaks that i should look into?

I'm also planning on replacing whatever vacuum lines i can see since they're probably getting hard and brittle by now. I figure that'll be a cheap insurance for future issues.

It sounds like you need to run a boost leak test.

1) pull off the fat air intake hose, jam something in it like a spray paint can

2) tighten the hose clamp around the can so that no air can escape

3) pull the tiny hose off the Recirculation valve (BOV), and blow into it, and then cover the hole with your thumb, if you release your thumb then air should rush out. Be sure to blow in there gently. If you blow too hard you could damage valve seals.

4) If it doesn't hold air then you should hear hissing coming from your boost leak. Fix the leak, rinse and repeat until no more leaks.

I need to make a video of this at some point.

Is this what your taking about max?

Archived