LegacyGT.com

Used LGT - What to look for + Pricing

spb

So I've been playing with an idea of maybe getting an LGT. I've never owned a turbo car so here are some pre-possible-purchase questions:

- What to look for in buying a used LGT? Interested in fifth gen. Are there common problems? Should it be brought to a mechanic before purchase?

- How do you figure out fair pricing? Does the fact that they are rare play a big role? For example what would be a fair price for a stock 2010 LGT limited with 95k miles? Is KBB accurate?

- Are there other ways to check the history of a car other than CarFax? Just can't make myself pay $40 for just one report on something I am not sure I want to buy.

So I've been playing with an idea of maybe getting an LGT. I've never owned a turbo car so here are some pre-possible-purchase questions:

I have looked into getting 5th Gen Legacy GT myself and window shopped last year, when I was inlimbo going through my divorce. So I will give you my 0.02.

- What to look for in buying a used LGT? Interested in fifth gen. Are there common problems? Should it be brought to a mechanic before purchase?

It probably isn't a bad idea to have a mechanic check one out, especially if your not mechanically familiar with them, ideally a compression test and leak down would be performed. Besides the normal things to look at in used cars, 60k+ mile 2010-2012 Legacy's are likely going to need the struts replaced. Check for throw out bearing noises (clutch). In salt environments, the turbo heat shield and turbo coolant lines rust out. I would look over modified examples a little more closely (i.e. compression/leak down testing) as it seems many of the engine and head gaskets failure have been on modified cars.

- How do you figure out fair pricing? Does the fact that they are rare play a big role? For example what would be a fair price for a stock 2010 LGT limited with 95k miles? Is KBB accurate?

Being rare, sometimes makes it harder to come up with a value. Ultimately it is what you're willing to pay for a car and the seller is willing to sell it for. 5th Gen Legacy GT aren't well know, so their aren't a lot buyers at times, but their aren't a big selection of cars either. A few extra serious buyers or shortage LGT can sway the price higher and vice versa. Right now their seems to be more 2010-2012 Legacy GT FS than I have ever seen at one time so that maybe to your advantage if their are less buyers than their are cars FS.

Last year their were a 3 private cars sales with 90-110K mile 2010 Legacy GT FS. They all took months to sell. I don't know the exact pricing, but it seemed like they ended up selling in the 12-13K range. A dealer sales are usually higher than private sale.

- Are there other ways to check the history of a car other than CarFax? Just can't make myself pay $40 for just one report on something I am not sure I want to buy.

Most dealers will do a free carfax for you, many of them have them online. I think for the right car that it would be worth it; I would pay for it after the car passed my visual inspection. If I was going to have a mechanical inspection, I would do that after I negotiated a price for the car.

Yes always take a turbo used vehicle to a shop that is familiar with that model or in general, turbo cars, so they can examine common fail points. On the EJ255 (LGT engine) its ring landings, spun bearing, cracked pistons all the symptoms of poor maintenance and asshat driving. These cars can drive problem free for many many miles so if if has clean bill of health and higher mile dont get too bothered.

No Legacy is rare esp to the general non-enthusiast car buyer. Most buyers have few checkboxes to check and pretty sure "Is a rare car" isnt one :) The dealer could push that on you if you said "Im a Subaru fanboy"

Gather prices from other 5th Gens for sale at other dealers with similar mileage then fold in what you want to pay and go from there. THey can ask whatever they want but the longer it sits the less money they stand to make.

$40.00 is worth knowing the health and status of the car, you might find it had a replaced shortblock or a blown turbo or both. All things to add to your negotiation tactics

Fifth gens have been much more reliable than past model years for the LGT, so that is a plus. Also ringlands have not been as much of an issue on this engine. Exhaust valves though have been, so a compression and leak down especially on a higher mileage one would be just part of due diligence on your part. Pay now or pay later. Some car sites allow you to search prices for current cars for sale and for listings marked as sold. Use that to help you figure a reasonable price you are comfortable with.

Good luck with your search!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Thank guys for all the advice. Would a local subaru dealer perform all these tests?

So far I have:

-Compression/leak down test

-Throw out bearing/spun bearings

-Turbo heat shield

-Turbo coolant line rust

-Ring landings maybe

-Cracked pistons

-Exhaust valves

-Compression/leak down test

-Ring landings maybe

-Cracked pistons

-Exhaust valves

The compression/leak down test is looking for these. If you're not mechanically inclined, you probably should do a set of spark plugs while having this test done.

-Throw out bearing/spun bearings

One would listen for this audibly.

-Turbo heat shield

-Turbo coolant line rust

This would be done by visual inspection, it would be that hard to do (just need to to remind them to inspect them.)

Archived