LegacyGT.com

Need help/opinions on transmission issues

markusarelious

So I am having two separate issues/noises that are happening with my car 2010LGT(6sp MT). When at about 20-30mph in gear I am getting a random clicking noise. That noise seems to go away at higher speeds. The second issue is at about 40mph and above I am hearing a whining noise that goes higher with speed and lower as it slows. Only follows speed, not RPM. Clutch in or out still there.

I took the car to a Subaru dealer to get looked at and without even going into the transmission they are telling me it is the main input and output bearings and depending how bad the shavings are the syncros and gears may be messed up. This all meaning they want me to replace the transmission. That would take care of the whining but not the clicking. Still have no idea on that.

After a bit of digging and youtubes, etc. I am a bit skeptical on what they are telling me as I have yet to see a thread or vid on the issue they are saying it is. I have on the other hand seen a few threads and vids on the center differential having issues and even making the same noise in some of the vids.

I guess bottom line is I am just looking for some opinions and advice on whether or not the dealership is trying to blow smoke up my ass to try and get $3500 on a rebuild tranny. As well if people have heard of these problems before. Anything will help at this point. The car drives fine. I just want this to go away before it becomes a bigger problem. Thanks in advance.

The first thing I would do is change the transmission oil and replace it with Red Line NS or Motul. Try to use a relatively clean pan to catch the old oil and look for signs of shavings. There should be a fine collection of what appears to be graphite on the drain plug....that's normal.

I wouldn't count on a fluid change fixing the problem, but I suppose it couldn't hurt to see if there are any large shavings that come out. If it were me, I'd just put cheap stuff back in because it's going to need drained again to fix the problem.

The whining sound is probably the center diff bearings, but the clicking noise is kind of troubling. Does it only happen in a specific gear?

You have a mechanical issue inside the gearbox. The clicking noising could be a metal piece getting kicked around inside or a failed bearing race or bearing assembly that lost a ball.

I would get that checked out soon at is could cause catastrophic damage (enter gearset needing to be replaced $$$$)

Archived