LegacyGT.com

Additional tint on the sunroof?

I had mine tinted, the shop recommended a residential tint instead of a car tint said car tint would breakdown with that much direct sunlight in a short period.

:icon_conf....That is what tint is designed for?

:icon_conf....That is what tint is designed for?

Might just be the type or brand the shop had but said residential is designed to last longer in extreme direct sunlight locations. I'll see if I can get clarification in a couple weeks since my 2016 was totaled and will have to get the 2017 done after I pick it up.

That article doesn't mention that at all. All it says is to choose high quality tint to get the most life out of it. Or are you trying to say that tint breaks down eventually no matter what?

"More common and standard window films should be able to withstand conditions for about 5 years, while high end metallized or deposition window tint can have a life expectance of over 10 years if maintained properly."

http://homerous.com/the-life-expectancy-of-window-tint/

This article talks about it. Residential tint is higher quality and can last 10 years in direct sunlight a lot of car tint will last 5 years or less.

That article does not even include the word residential, or discuss the difference of the two. It more or less says use a high quality tint and they recommend it installed professionally. I covered both of those when I had my windows tinted professionally.

My 2010 Legacy was tinted in January of 2010 by the same installer and he used the same brand of tint and it looks phenomenal today, minus a couple bubbles along the rear defroster...which I cannot complain about because 4 of those years I was living in the San Diego. (AKA SUN Diego), well the car was there at least... When I was telling him about the bubble and complementing how well it held up, he offered to replace the rear window tint, no questions asked because of his lifetime warranty on labor and materials.

Moral of the story, have a professional install high quality tint.

28404916.jpg

That article does not even include the word residential, or discuss the difference of the two. It more or less says use a high quality tint and they recommend it installed professionally. I covered both of those when I had my windows tinted professionally.

My 2010 Legacy was tinted in January of 2010 by the same installer and he used the same brand of tint and it looks phenomenal today, minus a couple bubbles along the rear defroster...which I cannot complain about because 4 of those years I was living in the San Diego. (AKA SUN Diego), well the car was there at least... When I was telling him about the bubble and complementing how well it held up, he offered to replace the rear window tint, no questions asked because of his lifetime warranty on labor and materials.

Moral of the story, have a professional install high quality tint.

28404916.jpg

I didn't say the article mentioned residential tint, it talks about it breaking down. Perhaps you should look in the mirror with your Zoolander meme. If you want residential vs car comparison here: http://www.tintcenter.com/blog/2011/12/difference-between-car-tint-vs-home-tint/

:lol: That article is talking about an 8th grade science experiment where they used "Gila car tint".

"Gila is a DIY brand from Llumar Window Films found at stores like AutoZone or other car parts chains. Gila is not a professional-quality window film and has lower performance characteristics than any top-tier or mid-tier film brands on the market."

"Due to the abundance of electronics requiring reception within an automotive vehicle, car tint is engineered not to interfere with GPS, cell phone, satellite radio signals."

It does mention that residential tint is generally more reflective (70% vs 40%) but that's because more reflective tint isn't allowed on vehicles due to a safety concern. It's also more of a pain to install due to being clear dry adhesive, so it'd be tough finding someone to install it.

So it may be better in terms of reflectiveness, but not necessarily because it's in more direct sunlight.

There is a great tool called Google if you want more in depth information. I just linked the first result. The shop I used installs both auto and residential gives a lifetime warranty as well and recommended the residential tint on the sunroof. Owner has been in business over 30 years so probably knows something about tint.

There is a great tool called Google if you want more in depth information. I just linked the first result. The shop I used installs both auto and residential gives a lifetime warranty as well and recommended the residential tint on the sunroof. Owner has been in business over 30 years so probably knows something about tint.

Goose and I know that, the only reason you're catching a little flak, (all in fun by the way) is because the articles you referenced did not contain any info that backed up what you had said in your previous posts. I just found your original statement about residential/automotive tint confusing, as they are both design to be placed in the sun. I'm sure your tint guys knows what he is talking about, although mine didn't have any concern with mine, I just don't understand why that is. I am not a tint expert and do not claim to be.

Archived