LegacyGT.com

Buying Legacy GT worth it Concerns

Hello all. I've mainly drove Honda/acura. I did have a 2005 legacy N/A before. I am looking into buying a Legacy GT (2008-2009). I've seen them anywhere between 6-11k depending on mileage. I am mostly seeing them with 115k-175k. I have a couple of questions.

currently driving a 2000 acura integra GSR with 314K all original with no problems what so ever. Girlfriend is getting the acura and I want to upgrade to a legacy because when I had 2005 Legacy N/A, I regretted not originally buying the GT.

What are your thoughts of buying one? (are they truly money pits?)

Those of you that own one, did you have to fix a lot of things?

What am I looking for when test driving (sounds, leaks, etc..)

Should I buy an 2007-2008 Acura TL Type-s instead?

Your thoughts please and thanks in advance.

If you don't need the AWD the TL-s may be a good option.

I do enjoy driving my 09 Spec B. I think you have picked the better years if you want a 08-09 GT.

My 09 has 77,000 miles and I have replaced the starter because like most is was hanging in, when it was cold out. But other than normal wear items, like brakes, the car has been great.

My 05 has had its share of the normal early years problems.

Where do you live ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I am in the Midwest (IA). Not many people have legacy's and I've never had a turbo car. I do like the AWD as well. I'm a little nervous because of all the stories I hear about people buying GT's and its been a nightmare. I am looking for one that hasnt had any mods, but then again most people put it back to stock before selling. I got lucky on my integra, (all stock) got it off a farmer and I am the second owner. He said it was his grocery getter.

If you don't need the AWD the TL-s may be a good option.

I do enjoy driving my 09 Spec B. I think you have picked the better years if you want a 08-09 GT.

My 09 has 77,000 miles and I have replaced the starter because like most is was hanging in, when it was cold out. But other than normal wear items, like brakes, the car has been great.

My 05 has had its share of the normal early years problems.

Where do you live ?

If you buy one have a pre purchase inspection done first. Make sure a compression test is done as well. Hopefully there is a reputable subaru shop in your area that can do this for you. If you find a car and the inspection/compression test come back alright, you should be good for a while.

Remember, buying one of these that has not been tuned is like buying a ticking time bomb. Can you say burnt valves.

You want one that has been tuned and maintained well.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

i come from a similar background in high mileage hondas. my civic has 380k on it. you'll like the lgt, but it is very different. the stuff you put into it and do to it seem to matter on the subaru where the hondas generally dont care what you do to it. they just keep running despite abuse, and they do so cheaply. really depends on what you're looking for. ive always liked that generation acura tl-s, but i wanted a quick awd car with a stick and i hate audis so here i am. i made sure to get a car that had lower mileage, with maintenance done. mine had its timing belt done like 5k before i bought it and had the turbo serviced or replaced about 10k prior. i also bought from a used car dealer which came with a bit of a warranty so i knew if it died a week after i bought it, id be covered.

i come from a similar background in high mileage hondas. my civic has 380k on it. you'll like the lgt, but it is very different. the stuff you put into it and do to it seem to matter on the subaru where the hondas generally dont care what you do to it. they just keep running despite abuse, and they do so cheaply. really depends on what you're looking for. ive always liked that generation acura tl-s, but i wanted a quick awd car with a stick and i hate audis so here i am. i made sure to get a car that had lower mileage, with maintenance done. mine had its timing belt done like 5k before i bought it and had the turbo serviced or replaced about 10k prior. i also bought from a used car dealer which came with a bit of a warranty so i knew if it died a week after i bought it, id be covered.

Yes they are money pits. Stick with Acura. If you get a turbocharged Subaru, not only will you spend a lot of money on it, but you will also be addicted to Subarus. It's a bad habit...

Total BS. I'm on my 3rd LGT and I could quit any time. I'm only in it for the chicks.

Yes they are money pits. Stick with Acura. If you get a turbocharged Subaru, not only will you spend a lot of money on it, but you will also be addicted to Subarus. It's a bad habit...

Total BS. I'm on my 3rd LGT and I could quit any time. I'm only in it for the chicks.

I could quit any time.

LOL. Some of the people on this forum are in denial... :lol:

I think this is a good perspective. Be cautious about a car that has had the turbo recently replaced. Could be some metal in the oil. These cars are so satisfying though.

Don't buy one without having it inspected with compression test, account for turbo history for the sake of the rest of the engine, timing belt. And maybe the turbo for shaft play.

Other things to look for are bad wheel bearings, old dry/cracked control arm bushings, valve cover gasket leaks. These are all pretty regular failures on these cars.

I could quit any time.

I think this is a good perspective. Be cautious about a car that has had the turbo recently replaced. Could be some metal in the oil. These cars are so satisfying though.

Don't buy one without having it inspected with compression test, account for turbo history for the sake of the rest of the engine, timing belt. And maybe the turbo for shaft play.

Other things to look for are bad wheel bearings, old dry/cracked control arm bushings, valve cover gasket leaks. These are all pretty regular failures on these cars.

Yes these can be expensive. Mine needed everything. I bought it 5500 below book, did 100% of the work myself and went upside down. What a ride I LOVE this car. Fix the suspension if you plan on really running it as I got mine fast and while not ignoring the advice given here I prioritized wrong. Came within a gnats ass of crashing the first hard push up the mountain. Awd doesn't mean it has sufficient grip. Took a bit to clean out my drawers!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yes these can be expensive. Mine needed everything. I bought it 5500 below book, did 100% of the work myself and went upside down. What a ride I LOVE this car. Fix the suspension if you plan on really running it as I got mine fast and while not ignoring the advice given here I prioritized wrong. Came within a gnats ass of crashing the first hard push up the mountain. Awd doesn't mean it has sufficient grip. Took a bit to clean out my drawers!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The forums are therapy sessions. To help us cope. :D

Take. Your. Time. Can you go out of state? Those are even higher prices then I was seeing in Colorado. They arent cheap to keep up sometimes - but IMHO, they are worth the money. If you can do most of the work yourself, then it really brings the costs down. And if the work is kept up on, then it usually isnt too bad.

I just purchased my 05 about a month ago. I have a thread with all the info from my inspection (even though i did it post purchase, not recommended) and what I've done/will be doing with it as well as just tons of good info since you are considering an LGT. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/building-perfect-lgt-260511.html

05' LGT, ZFD Built 5MT, Stage 2 Cryotune 91/E85, 170,000mi running BRotella T6 and Ecoguard S4615 filters.

If reliability is your concern, go with the TL. Stock for stock, it's a faster car. That said, the GT is a hell of a car once/if you decide to put some work into it. I had the same choice to make when I bought mine. I cross shopped a TL type-s, a B6 S4, an E39 M5 (before they started rising back up in price), and the LGT. I've never once regretted my decision, but I also bought a stock car with a full service history and got a pre-purchase inspection. Be smart and don't rush buying or modifying. Wait for the right car and don't buy cheap moving parts.

Are you looking for MT or 5EAT? Are you planning to tune/mod? If the answer is 5EAT, and yes, you want big power, you'll want to look at '05-07s, because you can get a Hexmods F1 valve body for those years which will let you hold more power. '08/09 have no such option.

I love my LGT.. was in the same boat. Actually still have my TL. I had the LGT check out though went through the car fax, saw lots of maintenance done by dealer. Bought the car with 154k in October. Now has 166k.. I must like driving this thing.

I am leaning more toward the TL now. I am not in a rush to get any of the cars but if a good deal comes across I will probably jump on it. I do love the sound of Subaru turbo motors though. I am still indecisive. I'm probably at 65% TL and 35% legacy GT.

If I get a legacy GT it would definitely be a manual. I read somewhere that if you get the AUTO they tend to have problems with the turbo motors. If I get a TL-s its going to be automatic.

I specifically sought an Outback XT with the manual transmission. Recently, in a moment of weakness, I was considering another car. After completing the test drive and driving home in my car I realized just how much I enjoyed the manual.

I can't speak to the reliability / performance of auto versus manual. Just thought I'd chime in saying I enjoy the manual in my car.

I used to have a 05 v6 accord, pretty similar J motor to the Acura TL. It was a good car, more reliable than an LGT. But in terms of smiles per gallon the Legacy GT is leaps and bounds better. Parts are cheaper on the Subaru, and the Subaru is pretty easy to work on. Also the Legacy GT is faster, and much less expensive to mod for power. Acura's interior is nicer though.

Edit: Take a look at a used G35s, I used to have an 08, and it was fantastic until a kid rear ended me and totaled it.

Brought to you by Pfizer

Archived