LegacyGT.com

Noise while in boost

I am going to start working on the car this weekend. My plan so far is to keep the failed turbo on while I run the 5 minute flush, then drain the oil and pull the pan. Clean the pan as best I can, the reinstall it and do a flush with cheap oil and the filter off. I was going to run about 3 gallons through it, then pull the pan again, pull turbo, pull ocv's, pull oil pump bolts, and clean everything as well was I can. I have read about bypassing the stock oil cooler, which I was considering for now to get the car running again. Then I will put the new or cleaned parts back on, and flush another gallon or 2 of oil through the engine. Then I would put rotella in it and drive it for ~500 miles and do another oil change. I also plan on doing the next few oil changes after 1000 miles or so each just to help give myself a little insurance. I was considering getting an inline filter for the turbo oil feed, but would it be better to just leave the banjo bolt filter (after I clean or replace it..) or remove it?

I am going to start working on the car this weekend. My plan so far is to keep the failed turbo on while I run the 5 minute flush, then drain the oil and pull the pan. Clean the pan as best I can, the reinstall it and do a flush with cheap oil and the filter off. I was going to run about 3 gallons through it, then pull the pan again, pull turbo, pull ocv's, pull oil pump bolts, and clean everything as well was I can. I have read about bypassing the stock oil cooler, which I was considering for now to get the car running again. Then I will put the new or cleaned parts back on, and flush another gallon or 2 of oil through the engine. Then I would put rotella in it and drive it for ~500 miles and do another oil change. I also plan on doing the next few oil changes after 1000 miles or so each just to help give myself a little insurance. I was considering getting an inline filter for the turbo oil feed, but would it be better to just leave the banjo bolt filter (after I clean or replace it..) or remove it?

Can you post a few pics of your turbo? I'd like to see a clear closeup of the intake and exhaust sides.

Pics of your oil would be good too. "Some metal flakes" may have a different meaning for you/me.

Diagnosing a problem is usually the most difficult part, and finding a few shiny flakes in your oil doesn't necessarily mean you have a bad turbo. Who knows, those flakes might not even be metal ;)

I will get some pics this weekend. I didn't have time last weekend to work on it at all, but I will this weekend. The oil definitely had quite a bit of metal, I will drain it again and get some pics of that also.

I would get a new oil return hose for the turbo while it is off.

Sorry but I'm not as optimistic as Stkmlts.

If you can put a inline filter in before the new turbo, that may help save it, if there is metal in the oil.

Be careful installing the the turbo into the inlet hose, it will tear very easy. I bolt the turbo to the up pipe, fighting the studs and inlet and return hose is a PITA.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4782.jpg

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

...I bolt the turbo to the up pipe, fighting the studs and inlet and return hose is a PITA.

Raise your hand if you saw that one coming.

(raises hand)

:lol:

Seriously though, that's really helpful advise.

I probably wouldn't have done it that way if it weren't for remember hearing (reading) you say that a few times here and there.

Raise your hand if you saw that one coming.

(raises hand)

:lol:

Seriously though, that's really helpful advise.

I probably wouldn't have done it that way if it weren't for remember hearing (reading) you say that a few times here and there.

Wish I had ten dollars for every time I posted that, I could retire... :cool:

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Thanks for the advice. I was planning on getting an inline filter for before the turbo, where can I get one? I am not very optimistic about it either but I am hoping with my plan I can prevent any further damage. Also would it be worthwhile to bypass the oil cooler for now or just buy a new one?

• 2 weeks later...

I pulled the turbo intake and also pulled the intake manifold to have easier access to everything. I got an avo inlet tube as mine was cracked pretty bad where it connects to the turbo. The turbo seems to be fine from what I can see on the intake and exhaust side, so I'm guessing any damages are internal. I tried pulling and wiggling the turbine but it seems solid.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

...The turbo seems to be fine from what I can see on the intake and exhaust side, so I'm guessing any damages are internal. I tried pulling and wiggling the turbine but it seems solid.

...or maybe the turbo isn't damaged.

There are many pressurized things (hoses, sensors, boost solenoid, bypass valve, etc) in the engine bay that can make strange sounds when they aren't working properly. And a metallic sheen in the oil could have come from several places other than the turbo. Or maybe even the oil was just really dirty to begin with. It seems to me that a $40 oil analysis would be a good idea at this point so that you don't spend boo-koo bucks on a new/rebuilt turbo until you're 100% certain that's where the problem is.

That's what I am starting to think too is that the turbo may be fine. Should I drive the car some before taking an oil sample? I would like to avoid taking the car to a shop but if I have to to get the noise figured out I can.

Is there any oil left in your motor?

It sounds like you have quite a few parts off of your car (intake manifold, turbo) so I'd hate to suggest that you put it all back together just to try something that could cause more problems. Since your turbo is already off I think it would be wise to contact JMP about inspecting your turbo. He's extremely helpful and easy to talk to, and (I'm not speaking for him) he may be willing to inspect it for you (his prices are reasonable). No matter what, it would benefit you to talk to someone like him who's rebuilt a large quantity of turbos. "We the people" of the internet try to be helpful, but I think you need better advice.

Least-uncomfortable scenario: your turbo is fine, you eat the cost of shipping and inspecting your turbo, and you start looking for a problem elsewhere.

Worst-case scenario: JMP (John) rebuilds your turbo, and you live happily ever after knowing that you fixed the problem.

There is oil in the motor right now, but it has the second batch of engine flush I used in it so it needs to be changed again. I put the intake manifold back on since I got my new inlet tube today. That was the main reason I had pulled it off anyway. Also I don't have the turbo completely off yet, I need to replace my 14mm socket so I haven't been able to get the uppipe bolts out. I am getting one tomorrow and will finish pulling it off, because I already have a know good used turbo to swap on. After I get the other turbo on I'll get it back together and see what happens.

I got the new turbo on, and got everything back together. When I was messing with the vacuum lines though, the nipple on the front of the intake manifold snapped off. Its the one right on the front in the round section that comes out at a 90 degree angle. Is there any way to fix this? Can I epoxy the hole closed and tee off the other port that is below this one? I really dont want to have to buy a new intake manifold if I can avoid it.

I don't see anything wrong with sealing the broken nipple and t-ing off another line. It's not ideal, but that's obvious and who really cares.

If it comes to it, a junk yard would be the place to get a intake manifold. http://www.car-parts.com

Your car has been down for awhile now, frustrating. The line from BPV to back of intake manifold is susceptible to wear and can wiggle itself loose, results in some fun sounds while you're in boost. Not sure if that's the one you broke or not.

rps20170403_063338.thumb.jpg.329c4bb9d5a57224bc259c04c605d550.jpg

Archived