LegacyGT.com

05 Outback XT VF40 turbo junked presumptively-stupid shop

My god.

Finally got the turbo off. Now I know why I wasn't getting boost.

Check this out:

I assume this needs a full replacement? Which sucks, because it's not old and has barely any miles on it-just sat for a while.

Sticking with VF40, I just want reliability.

Also, did this possibly screw up anything else in the engine? I haven't seen metal flakes in the engine oil but I'm concerned. I imagine this seized pretty quick once that nut got sucked into the works.

Best place to purchase? Best deal?

And thanks again to everyone for your continuous help. Hopefully this will get me back on the road and out to Colorado.

• Moderators
That makes me nervous, but pull your TMIC and inspect it internally on both sides. Also inspect the TB hose that connects to the outlet of the TMIC and the throttle body. If no metal there you might be OK.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

TMIC is already out. Didn't see anything but I'll post a video. The turbine in the turbo is stuck so I'm doubting much happened. Doubting=hoping. I've driven it approximately 1 mile since fixing the misconnected vacuum lines. The PO had about 100 miles on this new setup before he was informed that something else was broken (it's not).

From what I understand, I should drop the oil pan, check it, clean it, and then do a bunch of engine oil changes very close together (with synthetic of course) and hope for the best. That sound about right? Am I missing anything here?

Oh and another question on turbos-some of these ebay turbos come in at 199, 299, etc. Are they any good? Like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Turbo-Charger-For-2005-09-Subaru-Legacy-GT-Outback-XT-RHF5H-VF40-14411AA511-/281885038969?fits=Make%3ASubaru&hash=item41a1a85979:g:i9oAAOSwnipWbsgA&vxp=mtr

If not, where should I be looking for a relatively inexpensive VF40? I cannot afford new OEM Subaru dealer prices by any stretch.

Welp, I was wrong. Metal exists in the TMIC and elsewhere. Here's the video:

What are my options here? I'm pretty deflated by all of this. I need this thing to be reliable and work or I need to try and recoup my costs.

• Moderators
Well, if metal made it all the way to your throttle body it probably made it into the motor as well. At this point, anything from nothing to everything could be contaminated. You can try cleaning everything best you can (EVERYTHING) and then doing the motor oil flush method and maybe you'll get lucky.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

just saw the video and i m worry for you !

is missing metal from your turbo blade , where is the metal ?

clean everything , flush engine oil .

i hope you will be able to save your engine

i wonder if you didn t hear that your car sounded different ?

i dont know the history of your car , but check the banjo bolt from the turbo oil supply , if you saying your turbo is not old this could be why it went south , do not reinstall a turbo before your oil turbo supply line are clean . you can keep the filter on the banjo bolt but you will have to inspect it often since any metal particule will glog him very fast .

You'll want to get a new inlet hose from the dealer.

Only buy a new turbo from a trusted member/vendor on here.

Must of us go with a vf52 and tune. You should get a 3" catted down pipe too.

Read some of the sticky's at the tops of the forums.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm reading, but I'm definitely not feeling too hopeful.

To be clear, this car has a history (other posts on the forum outline it but, long story short, I've driven it 0.8 miles and it's been a project of mine that I finally had time to dig into).

Rereading service records-less than 100 miles ago it had work performed supposedly by a dealer in PA some time ago (late 2015) but it doesn't appear they did what they said they would do.

Also to be clear, I'm not the goof who let this happen-this was the PO and, more blame to the last shop dealing with it.

If I fix this, I'm staying bone stock, mainly for cost issues.

But, honestly, I'm leaning very much towards selling this as a project car to someone who wants to deal with it. I may enter turbo land again in the future, but I need something reliable and the N/A motors is what I know. Those I can do in my sleep. These cause me nightmares now.

Maybe that's the wrong takeaway, but right now in my life I need reliability more than fun. I have a motorcycle for the latter (and that's reliable too).

FWIW, I bolt the turbo to the up pipe, replace those studs with bolts from the dealer that bolt the up pipe bracket to the block.

10mm X 1.25 thread. About 1 inch long, or 26mm.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Just general hints on how to make your life easier with bolting the turbo to the up pipe, easier to line up the inlet, new oil return hose and up pipe at the same time.

I used the bolts those bolts.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4783.jpg

Archived