LegacyGT.com

New wagon, can I detune from stage 2?

EPF

Hey LGT experts, I'm happy to be back in a Subaru after a 3 year hiatus away from the brand. I was finally able to find my dream subie, an 05 Legacy GT Manual Wagon. (HOLY GRAIL!!!)

The car has 144k and is currently running Stage 2 with just a gutted downpipe with a Cobb Accessport on 93 Octane. I want to bring it back to stock for a while so I can test fuel economy and do some minor repair and tune-up work on the engine in a less fuel rich environment.

Any recommendations on how to do it? Can I switch to a stock tune with a gutted downpipe - I know that it will throw the CEL for an o2 at least, but what advice do the experts say? Put an OEM downpipe in and return to stock?

Thanks!

You'll want to do the basic tune up stuff, spark plugs, clean MAF sensor, clean air filter, make sure the battery terminals are clean and tight, and oil change.

Get a catless up pipe, have the turbo checked and may be rebuilt, get a catted 3" down pipe, new oil return hose from turbo, have the car tuned by Mike Kinsman of www.tuningalliance.com either with a Cobb AP or with your lap top.

It's pretty simple...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thank you all for the advice. I just want to make it as reliable as possible, so getting the Air/Fuel ratio to a better place is my goal.

Right now the exhaust is very noticeably rich and is really easily detectable. I'm hoping a more balanced tune will correct that.

Archived