LegacyGT.com

Community turbine housing

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I had a local shop do it since I haven't had time. They took too long, charged too much, and didn't even give me a print out for the alignment that they did. They even almost threw away my old turbine housing, I had to insist that they go find it.

It reminded me why I do my own work.

I had a local shop do it since I haven't had time. They took too long, charged too much, and didn't even give me a print out for the alignment that they did. They even almost threw away my old turbine housing, I had to insist that they go find it.

It reminded me why I do my own work.

Wow that would have sucked. I could have just taken it to the same place that did mine if anyone wants that option in the future.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Yeah, the guy I talked to had a turbo Miata that he let me look at and poke around so I was hoping it would go better. Turns out he is the owner, and the other mechanics did the work.

Seriously guys, it's boxed up and ready to ship. I could send it out today. Doesn't anyone need this?

Yeah I know... A while back I said I was done doing things to this car. I figured I'd just drive it carefully when it gets cold and avoid any other behaviors that could lead to overboost. But lately I've been wanting to just have it be reliable and get me through the next couple years trouble free. The head gasket stories concern me. My tune tends to hang around ~19-19.5 psi which I know is not friendly for HGs long term.

So what is holding me back from jumping on this is finding a shop to do the work. Despite being in Subaru country, I can't seem to find a shop that does these types of modifications. If someone could ship it to me ported, that might help my decision. I might be able to do the actual swap myself, but not the porting without some new tools. Ideally I'd just drop everything off someplace and they do it all.

Yeah I know... A while back I said I was done doing things to this car. I figured I'd just drive it carefully when it gets cold and avoid any other behaviors that could lead to overboost. But lately I've been wanting to just have it be reliable and get me through the next couple years trouble free. The head gasket stories concern me. My tune tends to hang around ~19-19.5 psi which I know is not friendly for HGs long term.

So what is holding me back from jumping on this is finding a shop to do the work. Despite being in Subaru country, I can't seem to find a shop that does these types of modifications. If someone could ship it to me ported, that might help my decision. I might be able to do the actual swap myself, but not the porting without some new tools. Ideally I'd just drop everything off someplace and they do it all.

Have Sarang send it back to Tampa to boost labs? I can keep eyes on it for you.

If they can't it won't ship it back out, pp me and I'll get it out to you.

Or wait for far_sides flapper mod?

I would port it for you for free, with the understanding that I'm a complete amateur who has only done this once based on pictures and descriptions on the internet.

All I had to buy was a die grinder ($50) and some stone bits ($2) so that would be around what it would cost if you wanted to do it yourself.

I'll also ship it wherever

Thanks, guys. I've got some thinking to do. I reached out to the local FB group for shops that do porting and got no responses. Weird. People get all sorts of responses when someone asks for shops to do a rebuild after they blow up their engine. You'd think porting would be a common thing.

Looks like Amazon has some die grinders for decent prices. Maybe I'll just have to go that route.

Sarang, any pics of how yours turned out?

For those that have put it all back together, are you happy with the results? Boost under control now?

I didn't take any pics, sorry. There are some good ones on here tho.

I called four Subaru shops in my area and none of them wanted to touch it. One even tried to talk me in to a custom manifold with EWG.

I only floored it in mine once and hit 19.7 psi (target is 18) so without tuning it hasn't fixed it yet. I'll be getting an etune here shortly and will update y'all with results.

I was having the same issue when I was looking for someplace to port my turbo. Not one place wanted to do it. Some said theres no way a stock turbo would creep and offered a tune instead.

Theres was one place that said that a previous employee had done it and they would reach out to them. They said it would probably run around $300. But nothing ever came of it.

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

SoCal Porting is pretty awesome. A lot of the Forester guys from all over the country use them, and many of the local Subie group people do as well. The guy's name is Ruben and he is very good and will take the time to understand what you want and need.

https://socalporting.com/

SoCal Porting is pretty awesome. A lot of the Forester guys from all over the country use them, and many of the local Subie group people do as well. The guy's name is Ruben and he is very good and will take the time to understand what you want and need.

https://socalporting.com/

...thanks for the heads up, it's good to hear owners all over the country use SoCal Porting. I may have to check w/them and see what they can do for our VF54s.

Archived