LegacyGT.com

Rusted DP: Keep or Replace?

I recently swapped my CNT catted DP to the stock one for emissions testing. I have had the DP about 5 years and it was wrapped to keep the engine temps down.

Upon inspection, the DP is rusted top to bottom and I am not sure if I should replace it. I am leaning toward replacing it so I don't have to mess in the future, but thought I would get a 2nd opinion.

Thanks

20170219_221915.thumb.jpg.b45920272d046f82a815916237223dd6.jpg

I thought wrapping these things helps to cause this...
I think it probably accelerated the rusting, but these are China-made inexpensive exhaust parts. They don't seem to resist corrosion like the better, more expensive pieces do. That's especially true if you live in a place with a lot of salt on the roads in Winter and if you make many short trips.

It's no beauty queen, but looks like it's functional, at least for awhile.

I recently got the CNT still need to wrap) it since COBB isn't shipping DP's to CA anymore. I figured it was just a big hunk of metal with no moving parts so who cares, it's not an ebay turbo. You can get some rust remover (worked great on my stupid clothes dryer that previous tenants didn't take care of) or just use a brush to get the rust off and re-wrap. Did you use the silicon spray on it as well? I don't plan on it myself, just curious.

I think it probably accelerated the rusting, but these are China-made inexpensive exhaust parts. They don't seem to resist corrosion like the better, more expensive pieces do. That's especially true if you live in a place with a lot of salt on the roads in Winter and if you make many short trips.

It's no beauty queen, but looks like it's functional, at least for awhile.

Most people don't understand how the wrapping process works... I spray the actual pipe that needs to be wrapped with a high heat spray,then wrap. Then you saturate the hell out of the wrap itself with the same high heat spray ( Dei,Cool-it,etc). It creates a barrier that doesn't let the wrap keep in moisture,which is what destroys the metal and accelerates the rust. The last stainless DP that was done by me this way lasted over 15 years.

Zack K.

Archived