LegacyGT.com

Brake pads for street use

Smithcraft

Squealing may be an installation issue. Most any pad can squeal, this is caused by the pad vibrating against metal. Did you install new brake shims on the back of the pads and new clips? Did you use sil-glyde or similar hi-temp synthetic grease between the shims and the caliper piston, also on caliper sliding pins? These things can reduce squealing. On my car anyway, the Stoptech pads don't squeal, unless they are worn out and need to be replaced.

My pads didnt come with shims. Seems like some people got shims and some didnt. Grease I didnt use, but when I was initially using the pads (few weeks-month), I dont believe I had any squealing issues. Been wanting to retry them though. You guys resurface your rotors each time you switch pads?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's +2 for HC-CS since Elegua also suggested them. He's used them on two cars, so does that make it +3?

;)

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

That's +2 for HC-CS since Elegua also suggested them. He's used them on two cars, so does that make it +3?

;)

Actually, he didn't specify ns400 or HC-CS, so I put his vote for ns400. I'll correct that.

SC

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

My pads didnt come with shims. Seems like some people got shims and some didnt. Grease I didnt use, but when I was initially using the pads (few weeks-month), I dont believe I had any squealing issues. Been wanting to retry them though. You guys resurface your rotors each time you switch pads?
OEM pads come with two pairs of shims for the front. Outer shims are steel, inner shims are some type of plastic material. Some aftermarket pads come with shims already bonded to the pad, these seem to be steel with a rubberized coating. Others, I guess they expect you to reuse the old shims. You can usually clean old shims up and reuse them, but they do deteriorate eventually.

If you use shims, coat them lightly with the high-temp brake grease. If not using shims, just put a thin layer of brake grease on the back side of the pads. Really, anywhere there is metal-to-metal contact. Just keep the grease away from the pad surface, obviously. Squealing is more common after the brakes have been used for awhile. The grease should help with that.

Resurfacing, people have different opinions on that. New rotors are pretty cheap. If rotors are getting thin or damaged, I'd rather replace them. Otherwise, I will just clean them up with a new scotchbrite pad and brake cleaner. YMMV.

Archived