LegacyGT.com

08 lgt 5eat serious issues

Kotfl

new member 1st post, I've got some helpful information from this forum in the past, I'm hoping someone here might have some advice for me.

I have an 2008 legacy gt with the 5eat, right b4 Christmas I hit some road debris that took out my transmission pan, fluid loss burnt the clutches out. Insurance coverd transmission replacment with factory subaru reman tranny , approximately $7,000 worth of parts and labor. I took it to the local subaru dealer. B4 I got my car back they inform me that my turbo is bad. It was in proper working order when they picked the car up, I I specter the exhaust fins to ensure they didn't smash them somehow when replacing the trans but I saw no signs of damage. The shaft broke between the impellers. It did have 107,000 miles on the turbo so I figure it was past due so I did some reading and orderd a vf52 as the replacment, dealer Installed it, ripped my turbo inlet tube by over tightening the clamp to the point it squeezed the rubber through the clamp and cut it in 2 as well as striped a stud and gave me the car back with an exhaust leak and my heat sheild in the trunk. Oh I forgot to mention the banjo bolt, I read about it, orderd a new one from their parts department, told the service advisor to put the new one in and the never touched it, said the 08 didn't have a filter in the banjo bolt. After arguing and showing them the filter in the new bolt from the parts department that was never given to the tech, they replaced the banjo bolt. They told me their were metal shavings in my oil but could not provide me with a sample, pic, or my oil filter when asked. The screen in the old banjo bolt was clean, car has always had full synthetic oil changes every 6k.

Now the fun starts, the trans is slipping, took it back they added fluid, picked up , still slipping, took it back, they cleared some codes , drove it 30 miles, said it's good, pick up, slipping. Take it back again, test drive with service writer, slips so bad we almost have to walk back, hard parts start grinding., they order and install 2nd reman trans, pick up car, make it one block away, dash lights up, car won't move, they tow it back. I haven't had my car since mid December. Now they want to replace the tcu on my dime. And can't guarantee it will solve the issue.is their any chance that the vf52 turbo is messing up the tcu? Car is bone stock other than k&n filter. I suspect they either damaged wireing or somehow shorted out the tcu when replacing the trans. Any thoughts, ideas or condolences for that matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Bryan

None of that is caused by the turbo replacement. As said, you need to call SOA and explain your story. That dealer shouldn't be trusted if this is actually happening.

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

Call SOA. I did so after telling the stealership about my headgaskets (was in a time crunch) they pressure tested the cooling system and said it was fine. Had to take to an indie subby mech, for the heads and such fixed. SOA sent me a check for over half the damage.

Thanks for the advice, I will be contacting soa, but im still curious about the vf52 swap some how causing the transmission issue. I have read that the 5eat transmission is a very complex design, and the tcu collects data from the can network and controls the trans according to algorithms of the data. it collects from so many sensors ,modules,ect.. is their a chance I caused this nightmare for these guys at the dealership? I doubt it does because I managed to put about 130 miles on the 1st trans they installed. Car was accelerating better than it ever has.

But it had an intermittent slip, most prone to occur when the outside temp was 30°f or below. Also mostly slipped durring stop and go driving or going up hill. It was very minor at highway crusing. I suspect it's a bad ground or a damaged wire that's causing the problem. Although I did have a relay on the passenger side get corroded and cause a similar intermitant problem that had common symptoms of a bad ground/bad wire. I still need to get my car sorted out, i am thinking about taking it off of them and fix it myself so i know its done right. Any one got a subaru trouble shooting guide or wireing diagram for the transmission / tcu? Sorry for the double post, I fat figured it somehow and couldn't figure out how to erase it /shrug.

I don't see how installing that turbo would affect the transmission in that short order. Do a search for "vacation pix" and you will find the diagrams you need.

One thing to note with that turbo. If you are driving it without talking to a tuner, you are going to have problems with your engine shortly.

The VF52 is not a drop-in turbo. It needs to be properly tuned so as not to cause issues.

Yeah I agree, this sounds like nothing short of a nightmare. Unfortunately, Subaru dealerships and their respective employees aren't always well versed on the nitty gritty details of swapping in a vf52 to a Legacy. The turbo inlet was probably fried already and all it took was a second install to cut and break it. I suggest getting a new one on soon because this leak can run the motor lean. One would think they would make you aware of the need for a tune but....nothing.

The untuned torque from that vf52 will definitely make you feel faster, yes. It needs to be tuned soon- especially for the 5eat. They are costing themselves a lot of money with these transmission swaps. Getting the fluid level correct is finicky, the engine has to be running and there's little margin for error. They should've had this right the first time. Saying it doesn't have a banjo bolt? Sounds like a painful argument. Make them change the TCU, they're responsible for the ongoing neglegance. OTOH, you are too. Tough call.

With that said, go easy on the car and try to get a base map for the vf52 to run on. You'll want an Accessport too.

You'll have to tread lightly on this one. If you call SOA and tell them you put a different turbo on the car than what it originally came with, regardless if it is a Subaru part, all bets could be off. If you put a tune on the car before they repair the transmission, the SSM will pick it up. You would then be trying to make them pay for two rebuilt transmissions on a modified ECU and with a turbo different than what was supposed to be on the car. You could fight it if they don't fix it, but lawyers and judges are not technical people.

I know you are going to cringe reading this, but your best bet may be to find a good shape stock VF46 to put back on the car and force them to fix the transmission back to the condition it was before you hit the debris. You will probably have to pay for the turbo and install out of pocket. This will eliminate any excuses they have that the transmission is the problem or if it is something else. Good luck!

• 9 months later...
Well they finally fixed the issue after 4 transmissions, 2 tcm, a complete wiring harness and countless hrs they put a rear end in it and problem solved. Apparently the rear was binding and stalling the trans throwing a trans code and causing the slip. Between soa and my insurance company over 15k was dumped into the car. But my problems have not ended, now after only 800 miles on the new Trans / rear end the new aftermarket turbo went out and messed the engine up. Cyl #4 has weak compression and their is blow by in the crankcase, suspect bad valve or hole in piston. I'm wanting to part it out or sell it whole. Tried to list it on classifieds but apparently need more posts to gain access. If anyone has any interest or can help me list to classifieds pm me plz. Car is worth fixing but I'm done.

Archived