LegacyGT.com

Coolant Line Rust

While changing my oil today, I noticed a bit of rust where what looks like a coolant line go into a hose.

This looks like it has potential to eventually get worse and create a leak.

I've has my car since new and keep it super clean, even underneath. However, I do live in NY and my car is currently covered in salt and sand unfortunately.

I feel like I've seen this before with another member.

Can anyone confirm what the steel pipe is in the photos?

See attached photos.

I'm not happy that my engine was removed for the short block replacement and the tech didn't notice this. It would have been nice to remove and wire wheel, repaint and reinstall. I would have paid for it.

Any advice on this would be great

thanks

Tristan

Untitled Extract Pages small.pdf

Untitled Extract Pages1 small.pdf

Just eyeballing it from the vacation pics and your first attachment, that almost looks like it could be one of the lines from the transmission to the trans cooler section of the radiator. There's a fair chance they left the radiator in place when they pulled your engine, which could explain why they didn't see or mention it.

edit: had I looked at the vacation pics for 2013 rather than 2011 (or realized that this pipe was sticking straight out the side of the water pump), that probably would have been more helpful to you, sorry...

I'm not seeing anything worth noting personally, you live in a rust prone area and those pipes are barely showing signs of rust. That is a coolant pipe. If you are that concerned order a new one, or better yet pull it off sand it down and paint it. The techs in your area probably see cars everyday with rust worth worrying about and yours probably looks pretty acceptable in comparison.

I like the idea of wire brush and some rust inhibitor paint. Hopefully the rust doesn't get under the hose and start opening up the connection.

I appreciate the advice from everyone here, thanks!

I'm also curious what everyone else's coolant pipe looks like?

I'm also curious what everyone else's coolant pipe looks like?

Unless you take special measures, they eventually develop rust over the entire surface. Does not affect the function until years later. Rust converter might help, but it is prone to rust due to location.

Archived