LegacyGT.com

EJ25D knock sensor replacement

I'm really enjoying the 98 GT sedan we picked up on Saturday. I got it titled and registered this morning and took it on a 110 mile round trip today and it drove beautifully.

It's had a P0325 code for the knock sensor since we bought it. First I'm wondering how do you get to the darned thing! Is the best way to remove the entire intake manifold, or is there an easier way? I have small hands and could still barely even touch it.

Also, while the ECU has the code, does it automatically retard the timing (as in limp mode)? The engine runs smooth, but to me it doesn't seem to have a whole more power on acceleration than the EJ22 in our wagon.

It was getting dark when I was driving home, and boy are those dash cluster lights dim, so it will get the LED light mod. TO my surprise, the climate control panel lights actually work still, so I'm guessing somebody replaced them already at some point.

You can get to it with the intake on, but you'll have to remove the plastic intake tubing and just be patient because it's just a pain in the butt and it'll help to have one of those extendable pick up things magnet (to assist in moving the sensor where you want and getting the bolt in/out) If the knock sensor is actually bad then it'll run like it has water in the gas, just utter shit. But it may be bringing up the code because it's doing it's job and detecting a ping/knock. It's hard to say.

Thank you. Sounds like it might be worth paying my mechanic to deal with it. I'm going to bring my car over there to have both steering boots replaced and see if he notices anything else that needs attention.

My thought is the sensor tells the ECU to retard the timing if it detects any detonation- if the senor is doing that, could it be a problem with the ECU? I would think the code pretty much means the sensor itself is bad... but possibly an issue somewhere else

Again, seems like it should have better acceleration than it does, buy the car is new to me, so maybe it's normal. The only other EJ25 we've had is our 2005 Impreza, and that's a 5 speed, so fairly peppy to me.

When mine went bad is was nearly undriveable so I limped it to my work (auto parts store) and I changed it in the parking lot, it took about 25 minutes and I wish I had let it cool down first. My understanding is that if the knock sensor detects a knock the ecu will interpret it as pre ignition or an issue and will adjust the timing and Air/Fuel accordingly.

Archived