LegacyGT.com

Scratch on the block surface

Opinions on that scratch? Can catch a thumbnail.. goes within 1-2mm of the water jacket. 1998 LGT 2.5 n/a. I'm using the 2.5T head gaskets. I'm thinking I need to have the block machined. Prior owner put new head gaskets on and I found the scratch when I was brass wheeling the old gasket residue off. Concerned but want opinions.

download_20170211_192943.thumb.jpg.4aa47bc375ee453b5cc52c98b66fa607.jpg

download_20170211_192947.thumb.jpg.5c68695c515dbb0113824b49735ffc53.jpg

download_20170211_192950.thumb.jpg.e975097dccf397d5c0d894d2f278d94a.jpg

I'm no engine builder, but that scratch is a deal breaker. Get rid of it one way or another.

I've thought about that, but I would go get a chunk of 1/4 inch thick plate glass many inches bigger than the head and glue the paper to it, put it on a flat rigid desktop or some such and sand the head on that.

I've thought about that, but I would go get a chunk of 1/4 inch thick plate glass many inches bigger than the head and glue the paper to it, put it on a flat rigid desktop or some such and sand the head on that.

If this was on the head I might consider this option. As it's on the block, I'll be sending it out to be dealt with professionally.

Pro's is certainly a better idea. Did you source some pistons 20 over?

I have not settled on any yet. I'm waiting to find out if they can machine the block without splitting it. I doubt they can but if I don't need to split it I won't. If I have to split the block then I'm going to do rings and bearings at a minimum. If I can keep the added expense of the overbore to under $200 then I'll have them punch it out.

This project has suffered from major mission creep to this point and I need to start setting some limits or who knows what I'll end up at.

So I showed the block to my machine shop today and his reply was, "I wouldn't worry about that. Take a wood block and some 400 grit to it, keep the shit out of the chamber and reassemble it. It looks worse than it is. Different story if it was boosted but should be just fine for n/a." He suggested rubbing some copper gasket filler into whatever scratch is left just before I put the heads on. Looks like I'm finally getting this damned thing assembled this weekend!

Apparently I forgot to attach the picture to the above post the other night. Here is a close up of the effect of sanding with 320, 400, 800, 1500 dry, and then 1500 grit wet (with wd40). Ended up with a much less scary scratch. Some copper gasket spray and the new gaskets and this thing should be golden.

scratch.jpg.e7213ea9b7570be575041c1a6d61ed88.jpg

Archived