LegacyGT.com

Logging and flashing via Windows Tablet?

birdmayne

I've found multiple threads elsewhere, but I prefer this community...

Has anybody found success logging and flashing with RomRaider using a Windows tablet? I just think it would be cool to have something more portable and easier to store that is dedicated to tuning.

Most modern tablets should have 64 bit processors and ample power to do this sort of stuff.

Thoughts? Experiences?

John Hancock

Does it have the power? Sure. RomRaider and ECU flash are fairly lightweight programs. My old Surface pro 1 ran them just fine, so does my $50 8in no name Black Friday special. My current tuning laptop is a 2009 vintage Macbook Pro with core 2 duo and dosent blink.

The issue you'll run into is most newer windows tablets are fairly high DPI, and Romraider in particular hates that with a passion. Even in “touch” mode the UI gets screwed up to the point the programs are unusable. This was manageable on the Surface Pro due to its pen input, but is 100% unusable on the noname tablet.

Convertible netbooks with lower resolution touch screens work quite well though. Look for something with less than 1366x768 or 1280x800 resolution and greater than 11” screen size.

Dunno what the latest crop of windows ones are but previously you couldn't use one running windows RT as they ran ARM processors which couldn't run Romraider or EcuFlash,

Same issue that'd be present with Android tablets

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness

Dunno what the latest crop of windows ones are but previously you couldn't use one running windows RT as they ran ARM processors which couldn't run Romraider or EcuFlash,

Same issue that'd be present with Android tablets

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2352453 there's been success in doing this. More hoping the guys here have had some experience with it, being that I'm actually active here

John Hancock

Archived