LegacyGT.com

05 questions

I am new to this forum but have looked at it when I got my 05 Legacy GT wagon a bit over 2 years ago.

I remember a "thread for new to the Legacy owners" but now cannot find it. It had suggestions for replacing the down pipe, wheel bearings and clutches but now need some help with maintenance problems a couple of which are these specific problems.

The shifter is extremely notchy and I suspect that the bushings are worn out (160,xxx miles)so can this be repaired from under the car and which vendor has a good replacement kit? (I saw one thread about a DIY short shifter that looked like you get to it from above but I can not figure out how to get to these parts and am worried about just prying the panel around the shift lever.

The clutch engages about 1/4" off the floor so that I think it is time for a new one, PO records indicate a replacement about 90K miles ago. Which kit and should the dual mass flywheel be replaced per the referenced "new to Legacy" thread.

Which wheel bearings go and should I just replace them all and be done with it? And which vendor has the best/inexpensive pieces?

The down pipe from a STI was recommended. I looked at EBay and there seems to be a bunch of them, thus whose or just buy the least expensive?

Last, with 160K miles should I just replace the turbo with a reman part and avoid any problems with it?

Thanks for reading this far and your help.

DRB

• I Donated Too

It's the sti up pipe which is sometimes recommended - not the downpipe - and you only replace the downpipe if you are going for more power? If you change it for a performance part you do need to tune.

I would check the turbo for shaft play if you are worried but otherwise talk to people like JMP on this forum about getting yours rebuilt or if you decide you just want to change it, don't just get a "remanufactuted" one or your idea of avoiding issues might turn into walking into them. There are a lot of bad choices out there but mostly we will say stay away from eBay.

Clutch change. It's usual to get rid of the dual mass flywheel and replace it with a single mass flywheel used on the Wrx along with your choice of clutch. If clutch isn't slipping then bleed your clutch fluid with fresh stuff first?

Wheel bearings - wait until they start to go... there's lots of threads on here about these. Timkin, ntn or skf - don't buy cheap again or you may have issues with the speed sensors.

You really can find all these answers already all over this forum. Use google with site:legacygt.com at the end.

If you feel like you hear wheel bearing noise but you aren't sure which wheel bearing it is (like you know it's in the back but can't tell left or right) a good shop can use a stethoscope to diagnose it for sure. But as sigmafour said, they don't need to be replaced until they need to be replaced haha for lack of better phrasing.

You can do the short throw shifter from inside the car fairly easily but the shift bushings you have to do underneath. It should be easier than it is - it's just one of those things where it's a very tight fit so it can be a little frustrating, especially if you're like me and don't have a lift.

You might also think about changing the gear oil in the trans?

Other things that get recommended are replacing the stock catted uppipe with a later model (07-09?) stock catless uppipe and removing the turbo banjo bolt filter.

Mike at Tuning Alliance also rebuilds turbos.

EDIT:

It's usual to get rid of the dual mass flywheel and replace it with a single mass flywheel used on the Wrx along with your choice of clutch.

Neat. I did not know this. I haven't looked into clutch stuff yet but when I go Stage 3 I'll be forced to learn...

If the clutch was changed once before, they might have replaced the dual-mass flywheel with a single-mass flywheel already. As noted above, just try putting in fresh clutch fluid and bleeding the clutch, your pedal should come back up. When you notice slipping or unusual clutch noise it is time for replacement.

Sounds like you are doing pretty well at your mileage, just make sure you follow the maintenance schedule provided by Subaru. For 2005 they originally specified a longer oil change interval, but it is now recommended to have 3,750 oil change intervals with synthetic oil.

A rebuild of your VF40 turbo is not very expensive and that would be cheap insurance, assuming you are happy with the current power level.

You should check your suspension bushings especially the front lower control arm bushings.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your help and ideas. Is there any feeling for which vendor has the best clutch kit for my car. I've looked at a lot of sites and frankly they all seem to be close/the same.

Is there any way to determine if the dual mass flywheel has been replace beyond pulling everything apart? I suspect not, if its like my Alfas there is a small cover at the bottom of the bell housing which, when removed gives you a 2" view of the engine side of the flywheel.

Doug

Archived