LegacyGT.com

97LGT Crank Sensor Harness replacement

Trying to repair the harness and found that it has corroded from the sensor all the way to where it joins the rest of the harness. What used to be copper is now a mess of green powder trapped in what is left of the foil shielding. Any ideas as to why?

It's an EJ251 block with 25D heads if that makes a difference.

It sits under the alternator so I'd think it'd be sort of protected but yeah it just sounds like it's gotten wet more than a few times. I have a spare harness I can cut the pigtail off of, that is, if you're up to soldering/splicing it into the old harness

Some kind of contamination. Does/did the car live in the salt belt? I got some shielded two conductor at radioshack. That should work to replace what you've lost.

Yes in MD so it gets a bit of salt. It was a daily until the harness broke. Now it's been sitting for a year. :mad:

It sits under the alternator so I'd think it'd be sort of protected but yeah it just sounds like it's gotten wet more than a few times. I have a spare harness I can cut the pigtail off of, that is, if you're up to soldering/splicing it into the old harness

The harness seems to be weather tight so I don't see how that can really be the culprit, but I agree something corrosive seems to have made it's way in. I'm also wondering if it could be some sort of a grounding issue. I have already tried cutting the harness as far back as I can and splicing in a replacement and still get no reading from the crank sensor (which is new as of the motor build). Thanks for the offer BTW.

I think I'm going to have to try some shielded pair run from the 6 pin connector which looks to hold both the cam and crank signal wiring. Though it looks like it's actually a 3 wire connection at the 6 pin. Is the 3rd "SB" for grounding the shielding?

T3tLIKd7r2wMNK7q6DN9rJ_HvKNbGDUflhmkJolMF46wzoPTcyV3umR_cxHsXPjFMpmZqe2VmAQNWvY=w1920-h960

Archived