LegacyGT.com

Well, I just got my 12,000 oil change done. Twice!

I have 2 years of maintenance from the dealership. I took it in for the 12K oil change and when I signed the paperwork I noticed...Yup...They put the 0W-20 synthetic into my 3.6R. Idiots. They had to start over obviously.

Just imagine how many people this is happening to across the country that don't notice or don't even know it's the wrong oil. I'll bet half the 3.6Rs out there that are having the oil changed by the dealerships have the wrong oil in them!

Sorry to hear about that... this actually happened to me last summer as well... the notes for my 3.6r said 0w20 but they said they just documented it wrong... when it was supposed to be 5w30... but I didn't even notice it until I got home... so my mistake on that... I called them back and said can you guys please make sure it is 5w30, so I took my car back and they redid everything this time with the correct 5w30 oil. Due to the hassle I got a free oil change out of it... but I lost 2 hours of my day cuz of that.

Are they going to give you anything due to the hassle? I know you have 2 years of maintenance included but maybe a 3rd year?

I sure hope my 3.6r oil is indeed 5w30, just went for an oil change 3 weeks ago and they got it right this time (at least that's what the paper said... synthetic 5w30).

Just had mine done as well. Notes say 5W30 MaxBlend.

Lighting Mods

Low Beams: D4S - OSRAM XENARC 66440 CBI HID BULBS

Highbeam/DRL: 9005 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 9005NBUHCB BULBS

Fog: H11 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 64211NBU-01B BULBS

Subaru 20mm RSB

Not wanting to point out the obvious, but a tech can type in/select whatever oil they want when they fill out the paperwork, and it doesn't necessarily match the fill source, so just because they put 5w30 or 0w20 on the work order, does not mean it is what they put in the engine.

Just going to imagine that they do the oil change, go over to complete the work order, and go from memory what that car needed and select it.

If you want it done right, do it yourself.

0-20W oil is not going to kill your motor especially this time of year, it might if it is boiling hot outside and you are tracking your car...or if they put some diesel engine oil in there....

Its well known that many many, thousands upon thousands in fact, turbo Subie owners run deisel oil...in the form of Shell Rotella T6. Its not going to kill your motor.

This is why I change my own oil...so I KNOW for certain whats in the motor.

I have 2 years of maintenance from the dealership. I took it in for the 12K oil change and when I signed the paperwork I noticed...Yup...They put the 0W-20 synthetic into my 3.6R. Idiots. They had to start over obviously.

Just imagine how many people this is happening to across the country that don't notice or don't even know it's the wrong oil. I'll bet half the 3.6Rs out there that are having the oil changed by the dealerships have the wrong oil in them!

You don't change your own oil :confused:? I mean if you have an issue I see but I trust no place unless I have to. Harbor freight, and your set. :)

You don't change your own oil :confused:? I mean if you have an issue I see but I trust no place unless I have to. Harbor freight, and your set. :)
Now then, why, oh why would I spend one dime on an oil change when 2 year's worth of oil changes are being done for free at the dealer?

Yes, I know what you will say: "Because of these kinds of problems".

I counter with: Even with the screw-up by the dealer, I spent less time at the dealer than if I had made a trip to buy oil and a filter and gasket, then back home. Then the time putting on the coveralls, lifting the car and and doing the oil change, then dropping the car, cleaning up my tools and the oil change pan and putting the stuff away. Then, the trip to take the oil up to the recycle center (10 miles away).

Nope.

I've crawled under my own cars for 46 years straight now, and I'm done. I have the money to pay someone else for their time, and if they do it wrong, they do it again.

I get to sit out and read magazines in the waiting room that I can't read at home. Much better! Oh, and I'm retired. I have tons of time to work on a car now....I simply have better things to do with my time. Even if I have lots of it.

0-20W oil is not going to kill your motor especially this time of year, it might if it is boiling hot outside and you are tracking your car...or if they put some diesel engine oil in there....
Nope...I agree. But, nonetheless, they screwed up and I sat and read a few magazines while they fixed it.

Not wanting to point out the obvious, but a tech can type in/select whatever oil they want when they fill out the paperwork, and it doesn't necessarily match the fill source, so just because they put 5w30 or 0w20 on the work order, does not mean it is what they put in the engine.

Just going to imagine that they do the oil change, go over to complete the work order, and go from memory what that car needed and select it.

If you want it done right, do it yourself.

That was the very first thing I insisted on was that they check with the tech and ask him/her what they used.

I took my 2013 2.5 to the local dealership for the first few oil changes as well. I wanted to "try out" the dealership and build a little bit of a relationship with them early on.

I also do oil sampling before every oil change.

The local Subaru dealer was putting in the wrong oil. The oil analysis confirmed it. I brought the results into the dealer and the service advisors said that there was nobody in the dealership that would or could understand that report so they had no comment.... amazing. I tried walking them through it and they pretended not to follow.

Instead of simply apologizing and offering a free oil change, etc, they gave me attitude.

Anddddd, guess what. I gave them another chance for the next oil change, and they did it AGAIN.... wrong oil.

I wonder if they were doing on purpose for a a couple reasons: cheaper oil, and thicker oil would have a lower chance of burning off with the 2013 engine that had the oil burning problem.... Or it could just be stupidity...

I stopped using that dealer and have found MUCH better dealers that are farther away from me. But I really only use them for major things. I do most myself when I can.

My experience with my dealer has been horrendous. I took advantage of all the free oil changes and I am done with them. Thur managed to not tighten the oil filter and make a mess of my engine. They lost my key once and the worst was when they put two big dents and a scratch on my door.

I do my own oil changes or buy the supplies and take it to an independent mechanic near my job. Unfortuntelynthr next dealership is 20 miles away.

---

If the engine is specified for 30 for warm engine then a 20 isn't going to be good for the engine - the oil film will be too thin.

If specified for 5W30 you can run 5W40, 0W30 or 0W40 in the engine with no worry.

Outdoor temperature actually don't matter for the high temp factor unless it's so cold the engine never goes up to working temp.

Also realize that some oils for diesel works for gasoline engines too. It all comes down to which specs the oil fulfills.

453747.png

Its well known that many many, thousands upon thousands in fact, turbo Subie owners run deisel oil...in the form of Shell Rotella T6. Its not going to kill your motor.

This is why I change my own oil...so I KNOW for certain whats in the motor.

I think my first change was a semi-synthetic around 39k. Then switched to full synthetic Amsoil. Used that about three times but was still noticing a bit of consumption. Blackstone was decent for 6k miles but was adding too much oil and feared it was shearing down a grade as others had stated happened with the 5w30. This time I've switched to 5w40 Rotella T6. We'll see how she does over the next 1500 miles. A lot better I hope.

I don't trust the dealership to do anything with my car other than balance the tires and put them on and even then I'll go around and torque down all the lugnuts to spec. Not that all dealerships are bad but there's usually a bad egg in there somewhere that will overfill your oil or ugga dugga your oil drain plug on :rolleyes:

Archived