LegacyGT.com

Front and rear diff change

I have 122k on my 08 2.5i legacy not sure if the differential fluid was ever changed on both front and rear was going to do it once it starts warning up.

Is there anything special I need to know or tools to change the fluid in both

Also where dou you fill them up after you drain them

Please let me know

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

See post #23 by member SBT here:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/differential-fluid-change-lgt-limited-slip-54865.html

There are attachments there from the service manual you will want to read.

There are also some good videos on YouTube. Just be sure to always check that what they do and say agrees with the factory service manual.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/vacation-pix-171435.html

You'll find one of these (or similar) to be useful:

https://www.amazon.com/Plews-55001-Lubrimatic-Standard-Bottles/dp/B000BQW5LK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485956759&sr=8-1&keywords=transmission+pump

Check out the Walkthrough forums here for useful info:

http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/walkthroughs-8.html

There are also sticky posts and FAQs to help you out.

Remember you can search these forums using Google search terms like:

"site:legacygt.com differential change"

It's a good idea to put some info about your car in your profile. For instance, 5MT or 5EAT, modifications you have done, etc.

Some might laugh... But for the rear diff I took out my spare tire and rubber floor plug, then used clear plastic tubing and a funnel to fill the rear diff that way. I had a helper pour gear oil into the funnel while I was under the car waiting for the fluid to start coming out the fill hole.

Otherwise, I think you'll need a fluid transfer pump to pump fluid up into the rear diff.

For the front in my 5mt, I just take 2ft of clear plastic tubing, put a funnel on top, stick bottom of tube in dipstick hole, and refill that way. I usually have to add a little less than the manual says, since 100% of the front diff gear oil doesn't drain out for me.

• I Donated Too

41es99-AnWL._SY679_.jpg

$3 or $4 at most auto stores - $3.04 add on item with free shipping for Prime members on Amazon.

Apexi - spare tire out, rubber floor plug trick! Genius!

I just did the rear diff on a WRX and it gets tiring real quick pumping up the 75/90 into the fill hole.

• I Donated Too

You might want to rethink that Kent55

Motul 300 is good for the transmission/front diff but you need something else for the rear diff.

On the link you just sent it says "gearbox/differential, transfer gearboxes and hypoid differentials without limited slip system"

It's not good for the rear diff on our cars... 90PA might be a better choice for the rear.

• I Donated Too
although to be fair... the rear LSD on our cars may be a sealed unit and so it may not matter. Others with more understanding may know more but I always use one with the friction modifier just to be safe. Might just not matter...

although to be fair... the rear LSD on our cars may be a sealed unit and so it may not matter. Others with more understanding may know more but I always use one with the friction modifier just to be safe. Might just not matter...

It is a sealed unit. Any proper weight gear oil will work.

There's no reason to spend a lot of $$ on gear oil for the diffs. I've always used mobil1 becuase they it's <$10 a quart.

...the rear LSD on our cars may be a sealed unit and so it may not matter...

Just remember friction modifiers are only needed by the clutch type limited slip diffs. Viscous type or Torsen types don't need the friction modifiers. LGTs have the viscous type. Plain GL-5 75W-90 gear oil should meet the spec, synthetic oil is nice to have.

For the manual trans, Motul 300 seems to work well, as noted above, now that the original Subaru Extra-S seems to be hard to find.

Recommended Materials.pdf

• I Donated Too
Thank you for the clarification. I wasn't sure... I usually use the Synthetic with LSD additives from Valvoline just for the rear diff - I don't think I pay more than $12 for it so I haven't been wasting a fortune but it's good to know I can just use the regular Subaru fluid.

• I Donated Too

T70 torx for the front MT gearbox/diff and 13mm square for the rear diff - most people just use their 1/2inch ratchet handle

Make sure you open the fill plug first on the rear diff before you drain it.

Do I need the torx bit for the front and the rear and is it a t70

Did you look at the info that was already given in post #2? Good grief, lift a finger, dude. There are walkthroughs already written for this and this thing called a factory service manual that it might be worth getting to know. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
Did you look at the info that was already given in post #2? Good grief, lift a finger, dude. There are walkthroughs already written for this and this thing called a factory service manual that it might be worth getting to know. :rolleyes:

**** you dude sorry I didn't look at the other post give me a ******* break

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

**** you dude sorry I didn't look at the other post give me a ******* break

Typical. People give you the info, then you ignore it and talk crap back to them. You asked, you got answers, DUDE. If you ignore them that is your problem. Learn to read it will serve you well.

Archived