LegacyGT.com

1999 Legacy - new to forum

Hey guys, I just recently bought a 1999 Legacy base model brighton (wagon). Has about 250k on the body and about 150k on the EJ25 replacement motor. I am new to the forums and wondering what everyone recomends I should replace/upgrade and what kind of things to look out for on these.

I have replaced plugs, wires, tires, oil change so far. there is probably multiple forums on this already, if so feel free to post those lol.

Thank you!

Do you know when the t belt etc was done on the replacement?

Clean the engine thoroughly so if leaks develop you may be able to tell where its from.

Check the axle boots, if ripped, repair (if not clicking) or replace.

And welcome.

O.

Sounds like you're doing the right things so far. Get a copy of your maintenance schedule, from your owner's manual or www.cars101.com. Try to follow that schedule.

Find a copy of the factory service manual, it will help you a lot. Look in the stickies.

If you don't know the maintenance history, it's good to get everything up-to-date, reliable and safe. So if not done according to the maintenance schedule, suggest:

- do timing belt service (including tensioner, idlers and water pump)

- change coolant and thermostat (make sure you bleed the air from cooling system as part of this)

- change transmission and diff fluids

- check condition of brakes and change brake fluid

- inspect PCV valve

- inspect belts & hoses

- inspect CV boots

- inspect suspension - shocks and bushings, endlinks

Check out the Walkthrough forum here:

http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/walkthroughs-8.html

Remember you can find lots of info on the forums here just with Google searches, for ex:

"site:legacygt.com bleed coolant"

Hi,

FYI - the '99 Brighton should have the 2.2 - per CARS101.com .

A 2.5- EDIT: EJ251 or EJ253 SOHC Phase 2 engine - Not an EJ25D DOHC - should drop right in and work (may need a different Y-pipe exhaust manifold?), but isn't stock.

And...headgaskets - read up on those. The good news is yours is the external leaky kind...bad news is 150K (on the engine) is about when they start to go bad.

I don't know when the timing belt was last done on this motor. The guy I bought it from said this new motor had about 150k on it but he doesn't know because the owner before him was the one that did that swap. But ill take a look at it and see if its in good condition.

I also don't know the maintanence scheduale but i was going to go through everything this weekend and flush all the fluids out other than the oil that i have already done lol

Hi,

FYI - the '99 Brighton should have the 2.2 - per CARS101.com .

A 2.5 should drop right in and work (may need a different Y-pipe exhaust manifold?), but isn't stock.

And...headgaskets - read up on those. The good news is yours is the external leaky kind...bad news is 150K (on the engine) is about when they start to go bad.

The 99 Brighton and L have the 2.2. There is no way that a Brighton or L can have the 2.5 because it is a Phase II electronics system. The ECU is completely different from any other model out there. I can attest to. The Outback and the GT had the 2.5 in them, but they had Phase 1 electronics, but a phase II block. Confusing? Ya, I know, I have 3 of them

The 99 Brighton and L have the 2.2. There is no way that a Brighton or L can have the 2.5 because it is a Phase II electronics system. The ECU is completely different from any other model out there. I can attest to. The Outback and the GT had the 2.5 in them, but they had Phase 1 electronics, but a phase II block. Confusing? Ya, I know, I have 3 of them

Mine is a Brighton and it has the 2.5 in it? couple owners ago that guy put it in after the 2.2 broke down.

No Offense..but I'm stating an EJ251 or EJ253 SOHC Phase 2 will drop in - not the EJ25D.

Worst case is they moved the IM from the 2.2 to the 2.5 (same head design) and changed the Y-pipe.

1999 was transition year for sure for the Legacy.

No Offense..but I'm stating an EJ251 or EJ253 SOHC Phase 2 will drop in - not the EJ25D.

Worst case is they moved the IM from the 2.2 to the 2.5 (same head design) and changed the Y-pipe.

1999 was transition year for sure for the Legacy.

Ya I didn't know if the 251 or 253 could adapt to the ECU and bulkhead harness, mainly because I never pursued it further to see what other EJ25 would fit my old Legacy after I found out it was a Phase 2.

When I think of second gen, I associate it with the older EJ's. Many people with a 99 2.2 don't realize its a Phase II until they swap the motor out and realize their ECU wont work and harness plugs aren't the same.

EDIT: Ah ha, you're right. I just found a post on USMB that confirms the EJ251/3 will fit in place of the EJ222/3 as long as you use the ECU to match the motor.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/126776-99-impreza-22-swap-with-25/

For upgrades I would look at a thicker rear sway bar, upgrade the sway bar links, new suspension bushes, Ebay unequal length head (won't make it perform much better but is a heap lighter, new muffler/ exhaust for better sound and get good tyres.

Theres not much to make it faster but you can make it handle better which means you can drive it faster.

EJ221/222/223 in the '99 Legacy L's are in the Phase 2 family as the EJ251/253. They are immensely interchangeable. Using the '99 Legacy harness and intake w/crank gear, it is absolutely possible to run an EJ251, and it gets done all the time for a power upgrade. You don't need to use the ECU to match the engine. The 221/222/223 ECU will run an EJ251/253 just fine.

For upgrades I would look at a thicker rear sway bar, upgrade the sway bar links, new suspension bushes, Ebay unequal length head (won't make it perform much better but is a heap lighter, new muffler/ exhaust for better sound and get good tyres.

Theres not much to make it faster but you can make it handle better which means you can drive it faster.

lightweight crank pulley and high flow air filter/hybrid intake.

You know I'm not sure all i know is it says ej25 behind the alternator. sorry I'm a little bit of a noob lol

If you have a look at the cam covers(the black plastic covers at the front of the engine), if it has 2 bumps each side its DOHC, one each side its SOHC.

Archived