LegacyGT.com

HELP- LOUD knocking while in gear

Hi all,

I have a 2005 LGT. The other day, under just normal driving conditions, when i have it in second gear (MT), there is a loud constant knocking sound while driving, but it does not happen while in any other gear. I can feel the knock if i have my hand on the shifter. Clutch feels normal, and it is not hard to get into 2nd gear, just knocks very loud. What could this be? Broken tooth? Old synchros? I have 176XXX miles. Thanks!

• I Donated Too
I was going to say worn CV joints banging but only 2nd gear. If that's true, for sure, for real... and you can only get the knocking when in 2nd gear then you have isolated the issue and it's time to drain that gearbox fluid and pan it like you're looking for gold. If you see horrible things then that gearbox needs to come down.

Update happens now in all gears, and makes a slow knocking noise sitting in neutral, but 2nd gear is still the worst.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

It's making a knocking sound in neutral when you're not moving? Or in neutral when the car is rolling? EDIT: I now see that you said "sitting in neutral."

I would not drive that car anymore. Have it flat-bedded to a good shop. What part of Michigan are you in? (Nice to see another Michigan Legacy)

Archived