LegacyGT.com

2012 3.6R 5EAT shift problems

Hey guys,

Been having an issue lately with what seems to be either a hard up shift or slipping from 1st to 2nd under full throttle where it's banging off the rev limiter before shifting. It seems to have started recently and I've taken it to the dealer but they said they can't diagnose it because full throttle is bordering abuse and is an abnormal condition. I don't race the car or anything and sometimes you have to floor it when passing or merging on the interstate. I also had my fluids exchanged for the transmission and front/rear diffs at 60k.

Anyway here's a link to a video I made showing the issue. It's always had a hard shift from 2nd to 1st when coming to a stop, but never any when upshifting.

https://youtu.be/3CfoAjU_yZM

Hm, that is very odd. I've never experienced this before. I do have it jerk a tad when slowing down from 2nd to 1st on a rare occasion. There's a TCU update that fixes some shifting issues and it's possible that you don't have it given someone else with a 2012 said they didn't have it. That would be a start. Followed by a TCU reset.

Does this happen all the time or only sometimes? Does it only shift hard at redline? And does it shift fine when using manual from 1st to 2nd?

Note: I do remember this happening to me on one occasion but I've also had adjustments done to the ECU that affect the transmission. The transmission learned after that one time of hitting the revlimiter and it hasn't happened since. Also have seen it happen to another 3.6R who had a race fuel tune done and was bouncing off the revlimiter in 1st. Hmm.

Hm, that is very odd. I've never experienced this before. I do have it jerk a tad when slowing down from 2nd to 1st on a rare occasion. There's a TCU update that fixes some shifting issues and it's possible that you don't have it given someone else with a 2012 said they didn't have it. That would be a start. Followed by a TCU reset.

Does this happen all the time or only sometimes? Does it only shift hard at redline? And does it shift fine when using manual from 1st to 2nd?

Note: I do remember this happening to me on one occasion but I've also had adjustments done to the ECU that affect the transmission. The transmission learned after that one time of hitting the revlimiter and it hasn't happened since. Also have seen it happen to another 3.6R who had a race fuel tune done and was bouncing off the revlimiter in 1st. Hmm.

It was reflashed mid last year. It doesn't happen every time, if it's uphill it's usually fine, but the slightest downhill road it'll do it. It shifts OK minus the normal slushy behavior when not giving full throttle. This is a totally stock Legacy minus a drop in K&N filter.

My warranty is ending in 15k miles and I'm worried this may just be the start of a serious problem :/

Hmm, not positive but it sounds like the transmission just doesn't know where to shift and it's waiting too long. Reason why I'm curious if you can blip the upshift before the redline and see if it's fine.

It happens to StevenC's car here:

As well as a few other videos. Not 100% sure but takes around 60 miles for the transmission to re-learn again. I would probably do a reset though.

The slushbox is fixable with a tune if interested:

The new Stage 2 has been great.

when was the last time you changed your fluid?

edit: find another dealer as using full throttle is well within the engine and transmission's ability.... a few or even a dozen WOT shifts in a row will not harm either unless there is something else wrong....

I have seen this happen to mine once or twice when I was stock, and after XRT tuning I've seen it once or twice after a fresh reflash when the trans was still learning, but it's nowhere near common or routine in my experience. It looks and sounds more like a shift hesitation rather than necessarily a redline bounce. I would chalk it up to just some of the known 5EAT weirdness personally.

The 5EAT is a very odd unit, subaru's awful programming didn't help much.

It would be hard to tell without a log, the dealerships really know little about this unit.

Watching your video that appears a hesitation not a bounce

Google issues on the following

Jatco JR507 or RE5R05A

That is the actual part number of the transmission. If it's a Nissan page don't worry, this unit was used heavily in Nissan as well

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

The 5eat as it came programmed is not set up for firm confident shifts it is set for comfort and softness. That is why there is a slight pause between gear shifts, to combat abrupt shifts. There is an issue with the 1 to 2 shift and downshift from 2 to 1 that could be caused by a failing torque converter. You should get a second opinion, or third if need be.

You might try PMing Percitus as he can probably lead you through some troubleshooting.

Yea it only does it full throttle. It just causes engine studder at redline which is what led me to believe it was slipping or something. It does have quirky behavior anyways but this is more of a recent issue. You know the torque converter thing sounds odd because I've been having an issue where the RPMs drop really low and it almost stalls when creeping forward and stopping. Wonder if it is a bad torque converter, how would the dealer diagnose that? The last dealer hooked it to SST and said everything was "ok" and that full throttle is not something covered anyways.

I'd remove that K&N and replace it with a non-oiled air filter and clean your MAS/MAF sensor (they make a specific cleaner for this, buy it at any auto parts store). Reset your ECU, drive and see if it returns.

FLlegacy, we don't have that option, don't get peoples hopes up :lol:

nads: Although I don't think related those definitely don't do any good for the MAF, I agree. The first thing my tuner had me do when I started tuning was clean the MAF. Noticed it right away.

I'm still sticking to the TCU needing reset. If you use manual and shift close to redline but not at redline and it's fine every time I'm still willing to bet its software and not mechanical.

:eek: wtf I guess the H6 models got downgraded...lol. If a Tribeca has sport mode why the heck wouldn't a legacy?

I miss the Sport mode. You move the transmission lever to the left (M) to make the transmission go into Sport mode. Move it back to the right to get it back to normal drive. Did it do anything? For day to day driving, I not sure, ...but it was nice to have.

History of Sport mode for the Legacy and the Outback

05-06 Legacies/Outbacks had Sport mode. (Even the 4EAT)

07-09 SI-Drive came along and replaced Sport mode for the 5EAT, 4EAT still had sport mode.

06-10 Tribecas had Sport mode for their 5EAT since it was the same transmission.

10-present SOA says we don't appreciate the novelty of SI-Drive, so they took it away, but they did not return the Sport mode.

Not 100% sure, but I believe SI-Drive is now on all CVT Subarus not manufactured by SIA.

So I finally listened to the video (cordless head phone's weren't charged at work...) and I'm not seeing what your talking about. I see a slow upshift to second. Every made for the accountant, soccer mom, automatic I've driven is that way. Instead of "shift" it's "ssssssshhhhhhhhiiii(wait for it)iiiiffffffffttttttttt" and take like a half hour but you feel nothing.

What I did see is what pisses me off, the second to third shift at like 5200 rpms at WOT. So 6500 is ok for first to second but not second to third....

That's because he let off the gas when he was in 2nd. I did notice something. You mashed the gas at 20mph. 1st gear redlines around 40 mph. Does it do this when you mash the gas from stop?

Mine will jumble gears up if it downshifts to a gear that's close to redline. Like say flooring it when you're doing 60mph. It'll go to 2nd but it's only got so much time before hitting redline and I think the TCU miscalculates when to shift and bounces on redline temporarily.

So I finally listened to the video (cordless head phone's weren't charged at work...) and I'm not seeing what your talking about. I see a slow upshift to second. Every made for the accountant, soccer mom, automatic I've driven is that way. Instead of "shift" it's "ssssssshhhhhhhhiiii(wait for it)iiiiffffffffttttttttt" and take like a half hour but you feel nothing.

What I did see is what pisses me off, the second to third shift at like 5200 rpms at WOT. So 6500 is ok for first to second but not second to third....

I'll have to see if I can get a video of it when it's more noticeable. I agree it's definitely slow, I guess the concerning part is when it sounds like it's banging off the rev limiter for a second before shifting.

That's because he let off the gas when he was in 2nd. I did notice something. You mashed the gas at 20mph. 1st gear redlines around 40 mph. Does it do this when you mash the gas from stop?

Mine will jumble gears up if it downshifts to a gear that's close to redline. Like say flooring it when you're doing 60mph. It'll go to 2nd but it's only got so much time before hitting redline and I think the TCU miscalculates when to shift and bounces on redline temporarily.

When it's from a total stop, I've only seen it when on a slight downhill road. But yes, it's primarily when it downshifts at 15-20MPH. I am going driving for a bit tonight so I'll see what it does when going at it from a total stop.

I'll have to see if I can get a video of it when it's more noticeable. I agree it's definitely slow, I guess the concerning part is when it sounds like it's banging off the rev limiter for a second before shifting.

When it's from a total stop, I've only seen it when on a slight downhill road. But yes, it's primarily when it downshifts at 15-20MPH. I am going driving for a bit tonight so I'll see what it does when going at it from a total stop.

Now I feel like I should try to recreate this in my car. You say its when you go down a slight downhill which still brings me back to the same point. The car accelerates quicker than anticipated and delays the shift. Hmm.

Archived