LegacyGT.com

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting HIDs will increase the light in that square which shines into oncoming traffic. The amount/intensity of light in that square was designed to be of a certain level to not blind other drivers.

Here's a stock projector. Lots comparison shots in my retrofit log here (It may be missing temporarily)

nZJ3Q2Hl.jpg

So as far as I can tell and I went hunting for dark areas with walls I don't have that spot / squirrel finder with my OEM projectors + 35w HID bulbs. I need to find an actual pitch-black area with a wall (hard in a city). But, with all the dimly lit areas / walls I found that upper box never showed up. What I do have is "two" cut-off lines. A harder cut-off line that's pretty well defined and a slightly blurry one right below it. I wonder if their was a change in design between the earlier model years and later ones.

454ddf5b70fbd2a0f5ac1f2b9306a09a.jpg

anyone know how to get these pieces apart? i see the tabs but nothings budging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you haven’t figured it out yet, the

metal clip shown in the pic goes around the clear reflector “bar” and clips into the amber and holds it in. Takes some massaging and slight twisting but will come off. Just look where it clips in to the amber and you’ll see what I’m saying. If you’re looking to keep em be careful because they can crack. If you can’t get them let me know and I’ll post some pics of my removed amber pieces and the areas that clip in

I have a question on that...do the lights need to be opened anyway to cover the squirrel finders or can you get in and do it from the back? Not for me personally but figured it will help others decide if you do in fact have to open them to cover them, at that point why wouldn’t you just retrofit

I took a quick look at the projectors that I took out of my headlights. I was able to get my finger in far enough to put some light pressure on the metal "flap" while observing and making sure no to bend the shield. I only moved it a bit. But it looks like it might be possible to bend it down so the "flap" covers the hole. The key will be to push down on the flap and not to push forward. Pushing forward (which is easier) will almost for sure bend the shield and mess up the cut off. Making it much much worse. I've read where someone tried to bend it and they did bend the shield and it messed up the cut off.

Personally I would try JB weld putty, rolling it into a bit of a stick and sticking it to a hook of some sort, it would just need to be dropped into the valley/corner where the flap and shield meet. Use the hook to push it into the corner a bit and let it dry. It would be either impossible or extremely challenging to do this on the car so they headlights would need to be off the car.

Both of these would be done through the bulb hole so you wouldn't need to open up the headlights.

This was mentioned of course in the thread that was already linked to in this thread. Specifically this post

https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2804302&postcount=37

So as far as I can tell and I went hunting for dark areas with walls I don't have that spot / squirrel finder with my OEM projectors + 35w HID bulbs. I need to find an actual pitch-black area with a wall (hard in a city). But, with all the dimly lit areas / walls I found that upper box never showed up. What I do have is "two" cut-off lines. A harder cut-off line that's pretty well defined and a slightly blurry one right below it. I wonder if their was a change in design between the earlier model years and later ones.

Interesting. I highly doubt that the squirrel isn't present in your headlights. Those pictures are from the projector out of my 09.

I don't have any first hand experience with the OEM headlights, did actually ever drive with them. So I'm not sure how easily that light is washed out with other lighting around.

As for the "two" cut off lines. That's a bit weird but not really, could be a couple things. If your are far from the wall then the two headlights should kind of blend together. If one is higher then the other there will be tow different cut offs, one for each headlight. Typically headlight aiming is done at 30 feet from a wall, which should show the cut off of each headlight. If both headlights have "two" cut off then its likely due to the headlights not being designed for the hid bulbs and can't shape/control the light. Or in other words its not focused properly. If only one of the headlights shows this issue then its likely the bulb, not sitting right, poorly manufactured etc. Basically the arc/filament of the bulb is very much in the wrong spot.

Of course you'll never have the HID bulb in the same location as the halogen but sometimes its better or worse then other times.

These are technically two different projectors but it shows with and without the squirrel finder filled in.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2121374&postcount=31

And he did a good job on swapping out parts with proper HID parts and shows the differences between the two. Nice big thread.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/rx330-oem-conversion-full-oem-hids-write-up-56028.html?t=56028

I took a quick look at the projectors that I took out of my headlights. I was able to get my finger in far enough to put some light pressure on the metal "flap" while observing and making sure no to bend the shield. I only moved it a bit. But it looks like it might be possible to bend it down so the "flap" covers the hole. The key will be to push down on the flap and not to push forward. Pushing forward (which is easier) will almost for sure bend the shield and mess up the cut off. Making it much much worse. I've read where someone tried to bend it and they did bend the shield and it messed up the cut off.

Personally I would try JB weld putty, rolling it into a bit of a stick and sticking it to a hook of some sort, it would just need to be dropped into the valley/corner where the flap and shield meet. Use the hook to push it into the corner a bit and let it dry. It would be either impossible or extremely challenging to do this on the car so they headlights would need to be off the car.

Both of these would be done through the bulb hole so you wouldn't need to open up the headlights.

This was mentioned of course in the thread that was already linked to in this thread. Specifically this post

https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2804302&postcount=37

Interesting. I highly doubt that the squirrel isn't present in your headlights. Those pictures are from the projector out of my 09.

I don't have any first hand experience with the OEM headlights, did actually ever drive with them. So I'm not sure how easily that light is washed out with other lighting around.

As for the "two" cut off lines. That's a bit weird but not really, could be a couple things. If your are far from the wall then the two headlights should kind of blend together. If one is higher then the other there will be tow different cut offs, one for each headlight. Typically headlight aiming is done at 30 feet from a wall, which should show the cut off of each headlight. If both headlights have "two" cut off then its likely due to the headlights not being designed for the hid bulbs and can't shape/control the light. Or in other words its not focused properly. If only one of the headlights shows this issue then its likely the bulb, not sitting right, poorly manufactured etc. Basically the arc/filament of the bulb is very much in the wrong spot.

Of course you'll never have the HID bulb in the same location as the halogen but sometimes its better or worse then other times.

These are technically two different projectors but it shows with and without the squirrel finder filled in.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2121374&postcount=31

And he did a good job on swapping out parts with proper HID parts and shows the differences between the two. Nice big thread.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/rx330-oem-conversion-full-oem-hids-write-up-56028.html?t=56028

Interesting. Thanks. Hopefully a few people on here will use your info and stop spraying people. Haha

Archived