LegacyGT.com

Stuttering clutch/engine anyone?

arnox

ANY turbo car ive EVER driven has "stuttered" when you MASH the pedal below the powerband. Therte is no ecu problem, its just the way it is. Deal w/ it. Just ease into the pedal , or put the clutch in and rev it up. I can duplicate what you all are talkin about in any turbo subaru or my 400hp turbo nissan. Mike....

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest *Jedimaster*
My father has a Beetle Turbo S and there's nothing like that. I've been in Buick Grand Nationals and never experienced it either.

[quote]ANY turbo car ive EVER driven has "stuttered" when you MASH the pedal below the powerband.[/quote] My experience was different. The symptom would occur right in the midrange from about 3500 to 4500 rpm even if I rolled into it. Problem has mysteriously fixed itself. Tom

I have put on about 1450kms since getting the car 4 days ago. There is an obvious studder beggining around 2600RPM and finally smoothing out around 3000RPM. I'll give it some more time to see if it will work itself out but if it doesn't I'll surely notify my dealer.

[quote name='05USdmGTgUy']ANY turbo car ive EVER driven has "stuttered" when you MASH the pedal below the powerband. Therte is no ecu problem, its just the way it is. Deal w/ it. Just ease into the pedal , or put the clutch in and rev it up. I can duplicate what you all are talkin about in any turbo subaru or my 400hp turbo nissan. Mike....[/quote] It is drive by wire, the ecu should be smart enough to not make the engine stutter..

sounds like i was wrong and there may be an issue w/ ecu. well i have personally never experienced what yall are speaking of on a lgt and ive driven ALOT of them. None were over 30 or 40 miles though. My gt will be here in a few days so well see if mine does this. Mike....

My car is coming up on 2000 miles and the studdering is worse than ever. Also, I have noticed a steady decline in gas mileage (I'm now averaging 17). My car is getting the STS put in on Friday. They will take a look at the problem and possibly reflash the ECU. My question is will it learn and make the same mistakes again in a few thousand miles after reflash? Also, my acceleration is no longer consistant. Sometimes it pulls like it should and other times nothing. I'll update you after Friday. NGG

Ok, I took my LGT in on Friday to have the STS installed. When I dropped it off I mentioned the studder. When I picked it up, the tech told me that he "cleared the ECU data" what ever that means. He said it means he set all of the data to zero. Anyway, it seems to have solved the problem. My old accelaraction is back, at least for now. I can't wait for Cobb to release AccessPORT for the LGT. Then, no more ECU worries. NGG

Any update on this issue? It's really starting to piss me off now (passengers noticing) I'm not even going WOT, just spirited.. First until about 4-5k, shift into second, wu-wu-wu-wu-wuh. etc.. I usually have to back off completely, and then even if I go to WOT, doesn't do it anymore (sometimes).

[quote name='Deer Killer']Any update on this issue? It's really starting to piss me off now (passengers noticing) I'm not even going WOT, just spirited.. First until about 4-5k, shift into second, wu-wu-wu-wu-wuh. etc.. I usually have to back off completely, and then even if I go to WOT, doesn't do it anymore (sometimes).[/quote] It seems to be most appearent in second gear for me as well...

Actually, I wonder if it is a combination of too rich and retarded ignition, possibly from an overly sensitive knock sensor. If only I had an OBD-II scanner to measure real-time engine parameters. Actually, if I recall right, the old Impreza RS had a sensitive knock sensor induced "shutter" that was cured by adding a thin film of sound deadening material between the acoustic sensor threading into the block.

FYI, it will go on indefinitely once you get it started.. playing with spooling the turbo, had it in second, ~2300 rpm, had the brakes on so there was no acceleration, and floored it. Once I felt the stutter I got curious and stayed that way for ~15 seconds. Kept stuttering the whole time with no sign off evening out. From the feeling I got it wasn't anything mechanical (i.e. throttle butterfly moving around, drive line lash, etc)

I have over 2500 miles on my LGT and the hesitation problem is getting worse. It's so bad that even my wife is complaining about it. I experience poor throttle response and jerking from 2000 to 3500 RPM. I was at my dealership two weeks ago regarding a deeply gouged front brake rotor and I complained about the stuttering. The mechanic put it on the computer to check for errors and test drove it. He said nothing was wrong and that what I was feeling was normal for turbocharged cars. The service manager heard the explanation. After the mechanic left the service manager told me he has experienced what I was complaining about and didn't think it was the turbo. He told me he would talk to the shop foreman about it and have him look into it further. I am going back on 9/18 to get my rotor replaced and a short shifter installed. I plan to aggressively follow-up on the hesitation issue at that time. It is much more than a nuisance at this point. I'll post a follow-up after my next service visit on 9/18.

Adding my "Me, too" post. I have only had my car for a week, but the stuttering seems to be getting worse. I am still below the 1000 mile mark, so I am hesitant to take it to the dealer yet. I hate wasting most of a morning just to be told nothing is wrong. :( Anyway, some things I have noticed (maybe you guru's can offer some speculation): 1) Most notable in 2nd/3rd, but can occur at any speed under acceleration. 2) Worse when cold, even when staying out of turbo range. 3) The stutter seems to fade when I stick to one type of driving. For example, if I drive like a granny with sub-3000 shifts, the stutter fades. If I drive "spirited" with >3000 shifts, the stutter will fade. But if I mix my driving, alternating between easy and aggressive take offs, then the stutter comes back in force. Could this be related to the so-called "learning" ECU? Does the ECU learn by averaging data over a period of time? Or can it adjust on the fly depending on how you are driving? This is a great car, and the stuttering is the only thing not perfect so far.

[quote name='Wa-gone']I have over 2500 miles on my LGT and the hesitation problem is getting worse. It's so bad that even my wife is complaining about it. I experience poor throttle response and jerking from 2000 to 3500 RPM. I was at my dealership two weeks ago regarding a deeply gouged front brake rotor and I complained about the stuttering. The mechanic put it on the computer to check for errors and test drove it. He said nothing was wrong and that what I was feeling was normal for turbocharged cars. The service manager heard the explanation. After the mechanic left the service manager told me he has experienced what I was complaining about and didn't think it was the turbo. He told me he would talk to the shop foreman about it and have him look into it further. I am going back on 9/18 to get my rotor replaced and a short shifter installed. I plan to aggressively follow-up on the hesitation issue at that time. It is much more than a nuisance at this point. I'll post a follow-up after my next service visit on 9/18.[/quote] You really need to contact SOA at [url]http://www.subaru.com/contact/contact/middle.jsp[/url] about this stuttering issue. In fact EVERYONE with this issue should do the same and request an acknowledgement from Subaru that a problem exists and what plan of action will they be taking to correct it. Direct contact from the customer is going to get the word to SOA much faster than a trickle down from dealerships. Why have a vehicle with an impressive drive train if it doesn't function properly?

[quote name='Sub-attraction'] You really need to contact SOA at [url]http://www.subaru.com/contact/contact/middle.jsp[/url] about this stuttering issue. In fact EVERYONE with this issue should do the same and request an acknowledgement from Subaru that a problem exists and what plan of action will they be taking to correct it. Direct contact from the customer is going to get the word to SOA much faster than a trickle down from dealerships. Why have a vehicle with an impressive drive train if it doesn't function properly?[/quote] Thanks, Sub-attraction. I've logged my issue with the link you provided. Hopefully this will be resolved quickly by the dealership this weekend. I don't think I've truly experienced the way my car is capable of performing. **Update--This morning on the way to work my Legacy drove the best it has yet. I didn't feel any of the hesitation I'm used to. In fact, the tach needle moved so quickly and smoothly it was amazing. Nothing but silky power. The guy that carpools with me commented on how much smoother it was without me saying anything. I think he was a little shocked at how quick the car really was when I merged onto the highway in 3rd. This may help to understand the cause--or at least a possible solution to the problem. My wife took the car for a 800-mile mostly highway roadtrip this weekend. Before that most of the miles were from city/suburban driving. We have 2,950 on the odometer now. Perhaps the steady highway miles broke it in or the ECU "learned" how to manage the fuel supply differently. So, everyone's weekend homework assignment is to take your Legacy for a long highway ride.

I've got just a few ticks over 3100 miles and I'm still stuttering/hesitating. It's not terrible, but it doesn't seem to be going away either. Most notable on partial throttle. Anyone gotten any help from SOA or their stealership on this issue?

Archived