LegacyGT.com

Fair Deal?

Hello Guys,

I am thinking of buying a Subaru Legacy.

A dealer near me has a Used White 2017 Subaru Legacy 2.5 Limited for sale with 3200 miles on it. it has the Eyesight/Nav/High Beam Assist package and the Popular package #2(Auto Dimming Exterior Mirrors w/BSD, Bumper Applique, All Weather mats and a Cargo Tray). It also has the Rear View Mirror w/Homelink.

The price is $25,798. What do you think.

There is no information about 2017 models on KBB and hence I figured I would ask here.

Thank you.

cars.com will also give you accurate pricing for your area... price looks good to me based upon what they sell for here.... 2014 2..5i legacies go for 17.5K and up here a 3.6R will go for 21.9K. Those are low mileage accident free cars. higher mileage accident history cars go for less..

also do a Google on the VIN

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/687038267/overview/

is actually this car that was repaired

http://www.autobidmaster.com/carfinder-online-auto-auctions/lot/34860106/COPART_2014_SUBARU_LEGACY_36_CERT_OF_TITLE-SALVAGE_NORTH_BOSTON_MA/

You could also check Carfax, especially if the dealer website offers free reports. If the car is fine, that's a really good price. I paid just under $30K for the same car with additional dealer add-ons (cargo net, splash guards...) right when the '17s were hitting the lots.

For a 3200mi demo model, that's not bad at all. Only issue I ever have with demo models is sometimes you get some Yahoo that likes to floor the thing to see how well they accelerate before the engine is broken in. Trust me, people do it quite often. Outside of that, it can usually be a decent deal.

Check why it was returned so quickly so you don't get a lemon.

cars.com will also give you accurate pricing for your area... price looks good to me based upon what they sell for here.... 2014 2..5i legacies go for 17.5K and up here a 3.6R will go for 21.9K. Those are low mileage accident free cars. higher mileage accident history cars go for less..

also do a Google on the VIN

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/687038267/overview/

is actually this car that was repaired

http://www.autobidmaster.com/carfinder-online-auto-auctions/lot/34860106/COPART_2014_SUBARU_LEGACY_36_CERT_OF_TITLE-SALVAGE_NORTH_BOSTON_MA/

Right, it wasn't returned or repaired. The dealer is the first owner. It is a demo/loaner car.

You could also check Carfax, especially if the dealer website offers free reports. If the car is fine, that's a really good price. I paid just under $30K for the same car with additional dealer add-ons (cargo net, splash guards...) right when the '17s were hitting the lots.

I did check the CarFax, no issues there.

For a 3200mi demo model, that's not bad at all. Only issue I ever have with demo models is sometimes you get some Yahoo that likes to floor the thing to see how well they accelerate before the engine is broken in. Trust me, people do it quite often. Outside of that, it can usually be a decent deal.

That is my concern as well but I guess there is always some element of risk in buying used. Whether 3000 or 30,000 miles.

I don't know if it makes much of a difference but the car is a Subaru Certified Pre Owned vehicle.

Thank you to everyone for their replies.

I would negotiate on a brand new one. How much are you realistically saving here?

Order it exactly the way you want and avoid ending up with a loaner / demo car.

Would pay around 30k for a brand new one with all the options. Saving 4k+ on this one. I think 4k is a substantial amount in this context given the immediate depreciation of a new car as soon as it is off the lot.

What do you think.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Most books won't come up with a value for the current model year. The dealer I bought my car has a new limited Eyesight/Nav/High Beam Assist package without any accessories for $29k. [When I bought my car they wouldn't budge on the online price but they threw in a set of all weather mats for free and I could get additional accessories for cost, but I still considered it a good deal.]

The accessories generally don't add value, unless you were planning to buy those particular accessories, think of them as a bonus.

$3000 for 3200 miles is probably worth it, if that is the model that you were looking for. If you wanted a Premium 2.5i with Eyesight, which could probably buy for $24k, I would get the car you wanted over the higher priced good deal.

Would pay around 30k for a brand new one with all the options. Saving 4k+ on this one. I think 4k is a substantial amount in this context given the immediate depreciation of a new car as soon as it is off the lot.

What do you think.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

I agree with you. $4K is a pretty good savings.

Are they selling the car as a CPO?

If it has everything you are looking for, go for it.

I have been leasing my Subarus for a long time now. If you are the type of person that gets a new car every 3 years or so, you might want to look into that as well.

GL and keep us posted.

Most books won't come up with a value for the current model year. The dealer I bought my car has a new limited Eyesight/Nav/High Beam Assist package without any accessories for $29k. [When I bought my car they wouldn't budge on the online price but they threw in a set of all weather mats for free and I could get additional accessories for cost, but I still considered it a good deal.]

The accessories generally don't add value, unless you were planning to buy those particular accessories, think of them as a bonus.

$3000 for 3200 miles is probably worth it, if that is the model that you were looking for. If you wanted a Premium 2.5i with Eyesight, which could probably buy for $24k, I would get the car you wanted over the higher priced good deal.

I see your point but the position I am in, I don't think it is an option for me to go for a new car. I cannot stand to take the immediate value depreciation that comes with a new car.

I agree that the accessories don't add much value(if any). The only thing I took into consideration were the add on packages. (Eyesight/HID etc)

I agree with you. $4K is a pretty good savings.

Are they selling the car as a CPO?

If it has everything you are looking for, go for it.

I have been leasing my Subarus for a long time now. If you are the type of person that gets a new car every 3 years or so, you might want to look into that as well.

GL and keep us posted.

Yes , it is a Subaru CPO.

I thought about leasing but Subaru's have a high residual value. So if I was looking for a new one then yes, that would be a viable option. And this car I was planning on keeping longer that 3 years. Will visit the dealer today.

Thank you once again for your replies everyone.

I see your point but the position I am in, I don't think it is an option for me to go for a new car. I cannot stand to take the immediate value depreciation that comes with a new car.

The only thing I took into consideration were the add on packages. (Eyesight/HID etc)

Another factor to consider is that options usually depreciate at faster rate than car usually does. The older it get the less of factor option are. I had bought a mid level car, at 10 years, the cars used book value was about 9K, the cheapest version was $4k cheaper new, but the book was only $300 less. The highest level was $6k more than mine and it was only $300 more. If you keep you car long term, the options may make little difference.

i wouldnt take the deal. Eye Sight is too important to me. No Eye Sight, no deal.

ES isnt something you can add, so you'd need to buy a different car. New 2017 or used 2015/2016 if you could find one!

Edit: didnt realize it said ES. Yes i would take the deal.

i wouldnt take the deal. Eye Sight is too important to me. No Eye Sight, no deal.

ES isnt something you can add, so you'd need to buy a different car. New 2017 or used 2015/2016 if you could find one!

The car the OP is considering has Eyesight/RAB:

A dealer near me has a Used White 2017 Subaru Legacy 2.5 Limited for sale with 3200 miles on it. it has the Eyesight/Nav/High Beam Assist package and the Popular package #2(Auto Dimming Exterior Mirrors w/BSD, Bumper Applique, All Weather mats and a Cargo Tray). It also has the Rear View Mirror w/Homelink.

The car is loaded. Let me put it this way: if that car was on the lot at that price, I would have jumped on it rather than pay what I did for a new, identical one (which is what I actually did!)

The car is loaded. Let me put it this way: if that car was on the lot at that price, I would have jumped on it rather than pay what I did for a new, identical one (which is what I actually did!)

Lease it. Gives you three years to decide if you like it, and sort out any possible problems (likely none, I am a fan of hard break in driving to begin with).

I would have taken this car over the one I leased to save $4k. PS: you can still negotiate the price...and save even more.

Another factor to consider is that options usually depreciate at faster rate than car usually does. The older it get the less of factor option are. I had bought a mid level car, at 10 years, the cars used book value was about 9K, the cheapest version was $4k cheaper new, but the book was only $300 less. The highest level was $6k more than mine and it was only $300 more. If you keep you car long term, the options may make little difference.

All makes sense unless you want the options. Leather interior? nice, actually.

Upgraded sound system? Very nice, not even looking at Crutchfield to see what else is available.

Eyesight? Main reason I traded for the Legacy.

Depreciation means nothing if you don't enjoy the car you are driving over the years of ownership, or you compromise on things that you end up spending money on (like stereo) or you compromise the safety of you and your passengers to save a buck.

All makes sense unless you want the options. Leather interior? nice, actually.

Upgraded sound system? Very nice, not even looking at Crutchfield to see what else is available.

Eyesight? Main reason I traded for the Legacy.

Depreciation means nothing if you don't enjoy the car you are driving over the years of ownership, or you compromise on things that you end up spending money on (like stereo) or you compromise the safety of you and your passengers to save a buck.

Don't bother looking at replacing the Harmon Kardon system. It's a lot of work and not exactly plug and play. At least from what Crutchfield said.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I agree that the accessories don't add much value(if any). The only thing I took into consideration were the add on packages. (Eyesight/HID etc)

Yes , it is a Subaru CPO.

I thought about leasing but Subaru's have a high residual value. So if I was looking for a new one then yes, that would be a viable option. And this car I was planning on keeping longer that 3 years. Will visit the dealer today.

Thank you once again for your replies everyone.

Let us know if you ended up buying the car. CPO makes it even a better deal.

For leasing not sure where you got your information from but Subaru has one of the lowest residuals out there. The residual on my 2015 Legacy was 52% in comparison to 69% on my current car.

Dealer paid me $3K when I turned my lease one year ahead of time.

Don't bother looking at replacing the Harmon Kardon system. It's a lot of work and not exactly plug and play. At least from what Crutchfield said.

I have no plan replacing it, it is excellent as is. I didn't feel the same about the Premium trim WRX stereo. That system was bad.

Archived