LegacyGT.com

Buring oil smell only when it rains

I got a 2005 legacy gt with 110K on it. I got a few bolt on like TBE, CAI and a COBB AP. The problem that im facing is confusing the hell out of me so hopefully someone can shine some light on it..... Whenever I drive in the rain and stop at red lights or just stop in general for longer then 30 seconds I start to get this strange oil like burning smell inside my car. The strangest thing is that it only smells like burning oil ONLY when its raining:spin: Whenever its dry outside I never get the smell. HELP!

• I Donated Too
Bit curious about this too. I think the same thing happens to me but I wouldn't call it oil burning but just a strange smell. I used to think it was just the 'smell' of the water coming off the exhaust but if it were just water it wouldn't smell the way it does. I guess it has to be 'muck' being washed off the engine block and onto/into the heatshields which is then burning off or it's the hot engine slowly cooking off the moistened detritus sitting on the block itself.

I swear this debate comes up daily.

1) Any change in muck needs to be tuned

2) Make sure you buy whichever muck, oem, quality aftermarket or Chinese muck from the site's vendors. Otherwise you're a terrible person and don't deserve the food on your table. But only the vendors who post frequently. Not the generic ones from the vendor section.

3)You should probably get a tune if you change the on/off status of your car.

As for op, do you have any heat wrap or blankets? They can get funky then emit a particular smell of muck

• I Donated Too

funny you mentioned that. I don't have any heat wraps or blankets myself but I was wondering about the state of the pig mat* stuff sitting on the bottom of the plastic engine cover. After this many miles it will be ripe with both OEM, aftermarket and Chinese ebay purchased muck and adding H2O will activate this and the radiant heat from above may be emitting the pungent fumes.

*I know it's not actually pig mat but I don't know what else to call it. If you haven't heard of pig mat it's good stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/New-Pig-Universal-Absorbent-Shop/dp/B004I665XS

I think it probably is coming from that undertray liner getting damp and throwing off smells when heated by the engine. I've heard those liners referred to as "Automotive Pampers". :)

I originally thought the purpose of those things was noise reduction, now I'm thinking it is designed to hide all the oil leaks.

I don't have any parts of my exhaust wrapped and neither do I have a turbo blanket. I also removed the engine cover a long long time ago so that is also ruled out. Im guessing it could be the plastic bash plate that probably collected a ton of 'muck' over past 12 years? The smell is not that big of deal, its just annoying af

I think it probably is coming from that undertray liner getting damp and throwing off smells when heated by the engine. I've heard those liners referred to as "Automotive Pampers". :)

I originally thought the purpose of those things was noise reduction, now I'm thinking it is designed to hide all the oil leaks.

I'll have you know that I graduated from Pampers years ago when I had my third gen LGT. Now I wear solid aluminum underwear in case I accidentally run over the usual branches, rocks, fallen truck cargo, bodies, etc. :spin:

Actually the genesis of the decision was that one day in my old Legacy I blasted through a big pile of icy snow and completely ripped the plastic shroud right off. :lol:

This.

Once I cleaned the undertray, this issue went away for me.

First thing I would do is to determine where the oil leak is coming from.

The 3 most common oil leaks on the '05 models.

1) Passenger side valve cover - It will leak down on to the UP cause a burning smell.

2) Passenger side CV joint boot - When the boot tears it will fling grease all over the DP, causing a grease/oil burnt smell.

3) Passenger side upper/lower cam gear seal - It will leak down pass the timing cover and drip onto the heat shield of the manifold, once again causing the burning oil smell.

My wife's balls are delicious.

• I Donated Too
I don't think it's an oil leak... it's a doesn't smell at all, no detectable leaks but if it's wet out - there is an odd odor. I say odd because mine is definitely not oil smell for me and if the OP really knows what burning oil smells like I am not sure of his reference.

I don't think it's an oil leak... it's a doesn't smell at all, no detectable leaks but if it's wet out - there is an odd odor. I say odd because mine is definitely not oil smell for me and if the OP really knows what burning oil smells like I am not sure of his reference.

So you're saying it's that musky smell when it rains. That's pretty normal for most cars, because some of the water falls down through the cabin intake vents and sits at the bottom until it drains/drys out. When you turn on the cabin fans it draws in that sitting water smell. Of course, some of that smell is mixed with oil/grease being left on the motor when water is splashed up.

Not much you can do besides getting a carbon cabin filter to help reduce the smells. Otherwise, you'll have to wait until the engine bay dry's out.

My wife's balls are delicious.

• I Donated Too
All well and good, don't disagree but this is the only car that does this... I have two 05' LGT's a 2012 WRX, a 2008 XT and a 2009 NA - just seems a little odd to me, can't figure this one LGT out why it wants to make a bit of a smell and I am not sure I would even call it musky either. I don't have any good way to describe it.

If you're losing muck you'll wanna refill it with OEM muck ASAP. These cars burn a lot of muck.

EDIT: Interesting problem!

Oddly enough in the 2 of these I've had (the first was destroyed after I got hit by another driver), neither have ever burned oil between changes. The current one has 91,000 miles, the dead one had 118,000.

while working for Infiniti we had issues with older g20's and j30's coming in with odd smell complaints.

A) plastic melted to exhaust (obvious)

B) rodent nest on top of battery

c) the insulation crap on engine shield would heat up and smell like crap from years of grime on it.

D) contaminated blower motor/ cabin airbox

also in 1 prior Subaru when raining it would wash oil leak off bottom of motor and kick it around the manifold cooking it

Archived