LegacyGT.com

Ignition Coil Replacement - One or All?

Living Legacy

Just found one of the plastic tabs that holds the wiring harness onto the ignition coil broke off (see attached picture). The connector seems to stay on and the car still runs fine, but with all of the vibrations I'm afraid it might work itself free causing the engine to miss.

Is there any reason to replace all of the coils instead of just replacing the one with the broken tab? For background, my '05 LGT has 140K, all of the coils are original and I'm about to go stage 2.5.

Thanks All!

916554042_IgnitionCoil.thumb.jpg.4f4f366be04e4048e4d328d55a5ec32b.jpg

You may be able to repair the coil pack. Epoxy a new tab to the coil pack in place of the part that broke off. You could easily fashion a new tab from scrap materials on hand, e.g. a piece cut from a zip tie. Could save you some money.

No real need to replace a coil pack IMHO unless you start getting problems with it, such as misfires.

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, zip ties on the LGT, and I have a connector on a coil on my WRX that got slightly melted, and just stays on realllly well.

I just pull the coils that have them on out with the harness attached, so I don't have to mess with redoing any of the ties.

I just pull the coils that have them on out with the harness attached, so I don't have to mess with redoing any of the ties.

Yea I've changed plugs dozens of times on these cars and always leave the connectors plugged in. Pull the coil out, rotate it out of the way, and pop it back in, no broken tabs FTW.

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

Yea I've changed plugs dozens of times on these cars and always leave the connectors plugged in. Pull the coil out, rotate it out of the way, and pop it back in, no broken tabs FTW.

That's the only way to do it IMO. No chance of breaking tabs, or putting the wrong wires on the wrong coil. (it happens, especially on Volvos...):lol:

John Hancock

Archived