LegacyGT.com

Two quick questions about exhaust/downpipe

Hi all, just had a new 3" Invidia downpipe and full Magnaflow catback exhaust installed. I also had them install a new OEM turbo to downpipe gasket.

When I picked the car up, the guy at the shop mentioned two odd things, wanted to get some input on them.

#1 - He said he needs to special order another gasket for the downpipe because the one that was provided wasn't any good. Or didn't work right. So there is a small exhaust leak. The kit I bought came with the gaskets needed to do the install, minus the one I bought separately. Anyone know what that could be? Seemed odd.

#2 - He said that every so often, I should go in and re-torque the bolts holding the new downpipe to the turbo because they can come loose after time. He explained that the robots in the factory gets those bolts on super tight and there is never an issue. But when you put a new downpipe on, it's hard to get the bolts super tight so they can potentially loosen. Anyone heard that before?

Thanks!

#1 - how big is your magnaflow? Do you need one of these?http://www.grimmspeed.com/3-downpipe-adapter-aftermarket-dp-oem-subaru-catback/

#2 - he should have been able to get them torqued correctly. I have removed my downpipe a bunch of times and have never found a missing bolt. There is one bolt that is pretty awkward to get to and I could see it loosening up over time. Just hasn't been my experience.

The OEM multi-layer steel gasket is what you need, part #44022AA180, runs about $18 with discount. Cheap exhaust gaskets tend to get leaks.

The FSM says tightening torque on the downpipe-to-turbo bolts is only 26 ft-lbs. You don't need a lot of torque if the gasket is good.

Maybe there was an issue with fitment/alignment of the Nvidia piece, causing it not to fit flush?

The OEM multi-layer steel gasket is what you need, part #44022AA180, runs about $18 with discount. Cheap exhaust gaskets tend to get leaks.

The FSM says tightening torque on the downpipe-to-turbo bolts is only 26 ft-lbs. You don't need a lot of torque if the gasket is good.

Maybe there was an issue with fitment/alignment of the Nvidia piece, causing it not to fit flush?

I bought that and as far as I know he used it. I gave it to him and he knew exactly what it was for. He made it sound like it, or one of the gaskets provided by Invidia, wasn't sufficient enough?

#1 - how big is your magnaflow? Do you need one of these?http://www.grimmspeed.com/3-downpipe-adapter-aftermarket-dp-oem-subaru-catback/

#2 - he should have been able to get them torqued correctly. I have removed my downpipe a bunch of times and have never found a missing bolt. There is one bolt that is pretty awkward to get to and I could see it loosening up over time. Just hasn't been my experience.

From what I know the MagnaFlow is a 2.5" and the downpipe was a 3". So I know he would have needed to use an adapter, but he specifically used the word gasket. He made it seem like one of the gaskets to use with the kit was good enough and it needed an extra gasket.

I had to buy a donut gasket separately too along with the 3" to 2.5" adapter.

The GS adapter is $30-40 and GOLD.

You have a caless DP, correct?

TRook, you may also want to consider the type of Trans fluid for what I'm guessing will be a substantial power increase on the autobox. Amsoil synthetic ATF

Yes I have an Invidia catless.

EDIT: the donut gasket goes on the downstream side of the adapter (it wouldn't fit on the 3" side anyway obviously)

EDIT number 2:

You can fast forward to about 2:40 in the video to see the donut gasket on the GrimmSpeed 2.5" to 3" adapter.

Yes I have an Invidia catless.

EDIT: the donut gasket goes on the downstream side of the adapter (it wouldn't fit on the 3" side anyway obviously)

EDIT number 2:

You can fast forward to about 2:40 in the video to see the donut gasket on the GrimmSpeed 2.5" to 3" adapter.

Magnaflow is a 3" system that tapers to 2.5 at the DP

This is the best option. Overnight shipping should'nt be too expensive either.

I beleive this setup has a stage 3 protune in the works

You're not driving this car without getting a tune for those mods first, right? Changing to a highflow downpipe requires a tune as well, or else you risk damaging the engine/turbo.

Yep got a stage 3 tune from Tuning Alliance so I'm good to go there. Thanks for checking though.....

My Ividia down pipe seals well with the 2X thick GS gasket to my stock mid pipe and also seals well on the 3" midpipe on my Spec B.

After I've reused it a few times I add some red RTV to it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

He might not be too far off on rechecking the bolts. I returned my old LGT to stock before trading it in and even though I torqued the bolts to spec, two were loose.

No apparent leaks though, those multi layer Grimmspeed gaskets work and work well.

Best wrench for the under bellmouth nut is a 45* 14mm box wrench. I've tried wobbles, flex head gear wrenches, standard box wrenches, etc... the 45* Craftsman box wrenches are a perfect fit and long enough to torque to spec.

http://www.armstrongtools.com/MagentoShare/media/catalog/product/cache/5/image/1200x1200/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/A/R/ARM_54-322_FRNT_MAIN_8.jpg

ftfy.

OK fine, I'm an anal tool dweeb. Guilty. But we all know that getting into a tight spot is all about the exact right tool. As anyone who's tried to do any sort of tight work with the old-style Craftsman box ratchets can attest.

Anyway, I do appreciate Gex's tip.

• I Donated Too
I got completely stuck working on my downpipe and grabbed a set from O'Reillys in a pinch and they did the job fantastically. It was MSPaint and done very fast - the point being it didn't matter who made them. Craftsman tools aren't nearly as nice as they once were and I understand now they have been sold to Black and Wrecker we can expect even less of them with questions now about the old Craftsman standard the no quibble lifetime warranty. Horrible Fright have come a long way these days too...

Speaking of Harbor Freight, they have some great tools and a lot of crappy tools, you just need to be selective. The "Pittsburgh Pro" line of sockets, ratchets and wrenches is mostly made in Taiwan by good companies. Similar to other "lifetime warranty" brands. The made in China stuff is hit and miss.

• I Donated Too

I have this 1/4" and 3/8" flex head ratchet

http://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-38-in-drive-long-reach-dual-flex-head-ratchet-67994.html

It has been an incredibly useful tool. Gets in tight spaces, is comfortable enough in the hand - took a right royal beating and eventually fell apart after a couple of years but I had my money from it for sure and wasn't upset about it.

Has a lifetime guarantee which I haven't tested yet... I am happy to buy another.

Archived