LegacyGT.com

2002 Legacy Battery Replacement

thegodfather

My Dad was driving the car today and mentioned that he there was a sort of electric smell in the car (not 100% sure what that smells like but said it smelled like something related to the battery). So I opened up the hood to take a look and I found a bunch of corrosion on top of the battery. We bought this car used but I am pretty sure that battery was never replaced. the car is from 2002 and has aboout 23k miles on it. Does this sound like the battery needs to be replaced? I am sort of concerned about the corrosion. Is there any way to test the battery? And also if it needs to be replaced does any one have any suggestions on a good reasonably priced replacemnet? My parents want to have the Dealership replace it but I kinda want to do it my self so I need to prove to them that I can do it for less then it would cost at the dealership if thats possible. thanks for the help

Replacing a battery is very simple. Go to WalMart/Pep Boys or any place that sells batteries and buy one that fits your car (they go by groups, like "Goup 35"). Just unbolt the old one and replace the new one. Alwyas put on the negative battery cable last and take it off first.

Batteries go more by age then milage and it sounds like yours is shot. They only cost $50-$100 so not too expensive either.

Corrosion around the terminals is pretty common. As long as the cables are sound, it's not something you can do much about.

Autozone and Pep Boys carry decent batteries (at least a while ago when I'd last seen a Consumer Reports review). Buy them and replace yourself (they'll take your old one too, for proper disposal).

Like rao said, remove negative terminal first, and put it on last. This will help avoid accidentally shorting things when your wrench is working on the positive terminal (most of the car is grounded to the negative).

This does not sound like a battery problem to me. I would have the battery load tested before replacing it. Just about any garage can load test for a small fee. If the battery is still good clean the top with baking soda and a brass wire brush, be careful not to short the + side of the battery with the body. Apply some vasoline and you battery cleaning is complete.

Please don't just change the battery without having it tested, you may be throwning good money away. One of my cars, a 1996 still has it's original battery.

good luck

with the corosion bit. if u dont get it all off it will come back. u can also buy cans of battery terminal cleaner. the stuff we use at work is a foaming spray. ti turns pink if it contacts battery acid. so if your battery is leaking u can see that is is. but simply let it soak on the corrosion and then brush it off. repeat as necacary. and use a corosion preventer on the now clean terminals

thanks for all your suggestions unfortunately when i last posted i had already purchased changed and recycled the battery when i changed it though i figured that the corrosion might cause more corrosion so i cleaned it off pretty well. i may try to clean it better when i get alittle bit more time. the car drives very different now i suspect its because it unlearned all its driving habits. i was previously owned so it was trained to the old owners habits i think and now its getting used to mine. its much smoother and more responsive feeling especially in the breaks. anyway thanks for the suggestions i wish i had seen them before but no matter my parents paid for the battery so i am not out the money and it also provides me the comfort of knowing that the thing won't die during the winter. as for looking behind the dash i haven't done it the smell hasn't come backbut i still think i should maybe poke around back there. i just have no idea how to get back there. can any of you point me in the right direction

Archived