LegacyGT.com

05lgt auto climate

Waaazooo

So I've read about auxiliary line in connections and I've read about JDM conversions. What is really the easiest and plug and play solution to be able to use an iOS device to run music? I'm totally green when it comes to soldering. Really looking for pnp.

Does anyone sell something ready to go? Are there reputable people that I can just send my console too and receive it ready to play? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Well, if you can disassemble stuff in your car, you might want to try a radio out of a later model. It's OEM, and won't screw with your HVAC. I believe the 08 or 09 radio had the aux option built in. I think you can retrofit them from what I've been told.

You would then need to find a center console box, or drill the section in your console box that is square-ish, (I believe the cigarette lighter socket is here on 05 models: http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc324/sulliek/Subaru%20Aux%20Port%20Install/243.jpg) and add in the aux port. Then run the cable from the center console to the back of the radio OEM style. No soldering required. You might need to pull out some crimp pins, but I believe the wire harness is the same, so that might not even be required.

Alternately, use the 4th gen forum, find and buy the JDM double din conversion kit, and take it to an audio shop and have them install a double din radio. A bit more expensive though. ~$250 for the kit, and then $xx for the radio.

• 2 weeks later...
So I've read about auxiliary line in connections and I've read about JDM conversions. What is really the easiest and plug and play solution to be able to use an iOS device to run music? I'm totally green when it comes to soldering. Really looking for pnp.

Does anyone sell something ready to go? Are there reputable people that I can just send my console too and receive it ready to play? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The thing with the auto climate controls make it hard to install a radio because the heater and stereo are all one unit.. I was in the same boat. Audio stores that I took my car to said they couldn't do it. As I looked for a temporary fix I ended up getting an FM transmitter and it's actually surprising how good of quality I got from it and it's Bluetooth so it made it really nice. Really put the need for a new radio a few spots back on the priority list.

However I understand the urge to get a direct AUX connection and I saw a thread not to long ago that had a conversion from the CD changer to AUX no soldering needed but if you're good enough you could probably get away with soldering instead of the thing you have to buy. I'll see if I can find the thread and link it.

Archived