LegacyGT.com

No blower, no tach, no gas gauge, no heat gauge

I swapped 2 speedometer clusters, one 'hvac' assembly.

It all worked great until I put an after market headunit in which died but didn't blow it's fuse. It worked for 3 days then something shorted out. I've checked every fuse inside and outside and they're all good. I swapped all relays on the box on the outside.

I do not have power to the blower motor relay. I believe there are 3 wires going to it.

The 'hvac' buttons do not illuminate any longer there incandescent orange. Nor do I have any dash lights i.e. check engine/seat belt etc...

There are three relay's; main fan, rear defrost, and one I cannot recall on the inside above the fuse box. rd- 2122 if I recall. The fan one ticks on and off with the car on acc.

The defroster works and so does cruise and both illuminatee.

I have 7 pages of schematcs from napa pertaining to radio, 3 pages of ground, instrumental cluster, and the heater. I also have a manual wth schematics.

I don't know where to start but I imagine there's a ground i'm missng or a bad relay I can't find.

94 legacy usdm 2.2

Pull the gauges back out and look at the green thin circuit board on the back of the cluster. I had one cluster fry a circuit on it for no reason and it made all sorts of weird stuff happen to the car. The alternator wouldn't charge the battery, no instrument panel lights worked etc etc...

That's where I'd start, electrical gremlins aren't fun. But do a really close inspection, my shortage was really small (about the tip of a ball point pen) it was just a little burnt hole in one of the silver circuit lines. I also noticed that when a main part of the dash wiring harness is missing/broken (Gauge cluster, HVAC unit etc) that weird stuff will happen. With my car, when the HVAC unit it not installed, my turn signals won't work, the interior dash lights don't work and a few other things act funny.

pull the head unit out but keep it wired in and see if it gets power again. some have a failsafe to keep them from getting hurt, one of my old decks used to go into failsafe when i had a speaker wire shorted in the back. if that head unit managed to knock around the stock wiring behind the dash it could possibly dislodge a needed ground or harness you havent located yet

Dumb question but when you checked the fuses, did you do a visual inspection or test them with a multi meter? Fuses can be dead and still look good, I'd replace any in question and see what happens. I had that happen when I first bought my car, the heater and high beams wouldn't work but fuses looked good. I replaced the fuses anyway and they worked again.

Oh well that should be a fine then. Do you still have the old stereo? I'd say reinstall it if you can and see if anything changes. Also what years of cars did you get the new parts from? There were a few different connections for the dash throughout our generation

I do believe I found part of the problem. Nothing works connected to acc or 'on'. Not sure of thats connected to the ignition switch or what... Or of that's even my issue. I do know the red memory wire that's supposed to get hot never does even with the car on. It also explains no bulbs, but not when the car is already started unless will technically it goes back to the on position which doesn't work.... Idk confusing stuff. I need better diagrams.

There is a box on the drivers inner fender top (under the hood) with fuses and relays in it. Have you checked those? If everything related to the key ACC position is out, that would be my first check. If that is clean, I would pull the bottom trim off the steering column and get the connector open that goes to the ignition switch. Then use a meter to check that there is continuity between the expected pins for each of the key positions. I'm sure we can help out from the Factory Service Manual with what pins should be open and connected for each key position.

Dumb question but when you checked the fuses, did you do a visual inspection or test them with a multi meter? Fuses can be dead and still look good, I'd replace any in question and see what happens. I had that happen when I first bought my car, the heater and high beams wouldn't work but fuses looked good. I replaced the fuses anyway and they worked again.

i see this once in a while at my friends shop. thats why i check resistance as well as volts on questionable circuits, if the resistance is high change the sucker. had a customer with a cadillac that wouldnt start in the parking lot, our tech checked fuses with his test light and all was good. once i got involved after they couldnt find any issues i checked the fuse with meter and saw almost 300Ω res. on it, switched with a headlamp fuse and it started right up. the fuse was technically blown, but still touching enough to pass a test light, and not enough to pass enough power to turn a starter.

• 3 weeks later...

So still no solution. I got the blower working and I can change the heat, but I can't adjust speed of it. I can turn the blower off of I turn my lights off. My gas gauge and heat gauge do not work. I've swapped 4 speedo's and it didn't change.

Are there ground wires or power wires from the stock stereo harness I need to ground or something. I have no cel abs etc.. Lights.

There are two grounds if memory serves, you have to remove the radio, ash tray and all the other stuff to get the center dash bezel out and then down by where the airbag control module is, there is a ground on either side of it, they bolt under the carpet on either side of the trans tunnel and then they have wires that run up to the wiring harness.

I think you can access them without pulling the dash apart, if you pull up the carpet on the edge where the dash meets the trans tunnel, you should be able to access them.

Archived