LegacyGT.com

Tranny time!

Well a couple years back I went through the blown turbo/rebuild scene. Everything finally got sorted out including tuning. I am happy with what I have. Not building a race car, just a daily commuter. I got a tremendous amount of help here, for which I am always grateful.

Anyway now I am at 140k +/- and the tranny is starting to slip. Little slow going into gear from park and the slightest hanging too long before next shift. Its going. Yes I checked fluid level and it remains spot on and does not look or smell burned.

What is the best route for replacement? Salvage? Dealer? Aftermarket? And is there any easy/inexpensive shift kit type thing I could add at that time that isnt too stressful? Hadn't thought about anything but...if I have to replace it anyway, might as well check.

Thanks!

Mark

Depending on how long you are going to keep it, cheapest option would be a salvage yard. You can install the hexmods kit in it while you have it out and it should last for a while.

Have you tried a TCM reset? It's a cheap option that may solve your problems? Mine does what you are describing and a TCM reset makes it go back to normal for several months until I need to repeat the procedure again.

Here is the link with some of the information. You can purchase a cable off of ebay for $8. You then download the freeSSM onto a computer that you can connect to your car. It's a diagnostics tool and also will reset your TCM (transmission control module) or TCU(Transmission Control Unit). Whatever you want to call it! :) . You will want to reset "memory 2". If you have a laptop and $8 it is worth a try. Even if it doesn't work, at the end of the day you still have code scanner for $8.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/tcu-reset-08-3-0r-236737.html?t=236737&highlight=tcu

Archived